Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also have Illinois plates tho :-

I have Nevada plates and I got pulled over by chp and they tried giving me a ticket for having all kinds of stuff, first off I live in NV so I dont have to smog and I can have window tint, NV is not a bunch of ***** yet. I have a 99 firehawk and the f-in cop tried to tell me that the stock wing that comes on all trans ams is aftermarket, to big and impaired my vision. I told him that I live in NV and im not from here, he said that it doesnt matter and gave me a ticket for speeding, the wing being to big, and the window tint. how messed up is that!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

Ticket of speeding and tint.. well those things are against the law after all.. but the wing thing sounds pretty nuts..
Old 08-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Teching In

wait... ALL window tint is illegal in Cali??!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeanZ
You cant have tint on driver's and passenger front windows. I tinted them anyway though.. If I get a ticket.. oh well, Ill deal with it then.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Just so you know. Just because you live in a state with no smog check program it is still illegal to mess with the FEDERALY MANDATED SMOG EQUIPMENT. No matter where you are from you can still receive an equipment violation in the state you are driving in. What some of us are trying to get across is that YES right now this program is aimed at ricers/sport compacts, but these things have a way of branching out to encompass even more styles models and drivers. Remember that some of the probable cause offenses are at the officers discretion such as exhaust noise(we may find the sound of one chamber flows on a big block relaxing, but some officer somewhere probably finds it as annoying as we find a 6 inch muffler on a stock civic) and after they have you pulled over for your too loud exhaust or your supposedly view obstructing spoiler, this program says that they now have probable cause to search your entire car for equipment violations (and hey what’s that gun doing next to your nitrous bottle).

It is a historical fact that stupid legislation spreads from California to other states like a bad rash.

Last edited by DamanC; 08-15-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I see your point.. one day something like this country eventually lead to the end of ALL car modications .. that would suck. Right now they're just enforcing current laws.

The exhaust tickets pretty much waste everyone's time. The law says 95db is allowed.. that's pretty loud.. even most aftermarket exhausts are below that. You end up paying a small fee to the state to test your exhaust and the ticket should get thrown out.. it's just a bunch of hassle..

Cops cant see inside the engine, so unless the he's a car guy he wont know if you're running aftermarket Heads/Cam really.. It'll also take some effort for him to get in there and see headers..

It's really easy for them to **** with the import guys and their 4 cyls.. as soon as they pop the hood, you see a big silver pipe coming off the intake manifold and a pretty stainless steel header right there in front of you.. A lot of import bolt-ons are CARB legal anyway though so cops cant really do **** about that stuff.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeanZ
From what I understand, factory tint is acceptable. Which, unfortunately, does not really qualify as tint in my mind.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raymond K. Hessell
From what I understand, factory tint is acceptable. Which, unfortunately, does not really qualify as tint in my mind.
Factory 'tint' is a misnomer. The law allows AS-2 integrally tinted glass for the side windows. Tint (with any perceptable shade) is illegal in CA unless you have a physical malady with your eyes that requires some type of shading.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Angry

I understand that tint is illegal in California but, it is not illeagal in the state of NV, I have not touched any of my emissions, I still have stock cats and all stock sensors, I know I was speeding thats not what I was upset about I was upset about the fact that chp was trying to push the Cali mandations on me when I dont even live in California. Where I live in NV you dont have to smog check but, my car still passes with ease. As far as the STOCK wing that was another thing I was pissed about.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some one on here already got a ticket on this new law already(RYNEZ06). This law suck's f@#king d$%k.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

I can't believe that the cops that are mentioned are really going to be cracking down on people with just stickers, and dumb big spoilers. The cops have the right to search your car if you breath too fast, this is just another way the cops can come after you if your breaking the law. And another thing is that Car enthusiasts that mod there cars get a bad rap for driving crazy and getting in trouble, so I think that if they would be more responsible and know when to street race, and where and when you can drive with pot or alcohol or anything else that you could be caught for. I don't care what you say, if your a good person like I am and you have people like cops that have total power over you for the stupidist things that is total Fuc**ng
Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think we can still slip by these laws. We have laptop computers to control all of our ecu. **** I think you can use the flip up touch screen in some cases. As long as you dont get crazy with a cam or long tubes your good. As far as tint goes the cops only give you **** when they pull you over for speeding or something else. As long as we keep getting CARB Cert on turbo and supercharger kits we should be fine. For the people that have the vortech system on What do the smog guys face look like when he pops the hood and he cant do anything about it lol

Quick Reply: CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars