Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

what size cam can i run in cali?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lithium
918's are a pretty popular choice with that cam. I would also get some hardened pushrods and some ti retainers.
even if im only running on th strret...its a daily driver...no plansd on racing drag or otherwise?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

The titanium retainers are nice, but you don't have to have them. You will need springs and hardened pushrods for sure.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes.... on the springs, pushrods, with a cam swap!

p.s. its not a good idea to try and cut corners when dealing with you engine!
do it right the first time!

and about smog..... i just passed with mods in sig... with room to spare!
and thats with FLP's, no EGR, AIR, and an LS6!

my tech told me to go get a bigger cam!

my guess would be that a 224 112 would pass.
but if you wanted more id get a 228/228 .581/.581 112 and just de-tune it when smog time comes around!

good luck to ya!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get whatever cam you want who cares about smog there are ways to get around it. I personally like the sound and power out of big cams so since its my car.....I got a big cam.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
and about smog..... i just passed with mods in sig... with room to spare!
my guess would be that a 224 112 would pass.
but if you wanted more id get a 228/228 .581/.581 112 and just de-tune it when smog time comes around!
You passed without catalytic converters? What do you suggest de-tuning for smog?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You passed without catalytic converters? What do you suggest de-tuning for smog?
i did put the FLP cats on the car for the smog.....

as far as de-tuning the car.... my tuner said that is an option. my guess is lean it out? pull timing.... basicly make it run like crap.

and then after the smog, flash the power tune back.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend a 228/228 112 for anyone who wants to pass smog. I don't think any amount of tuning can compensate for positive overlap. If the exhaust valve and intake valve are open at the same time, no way are emmisions going to be good, no matter what the tune, timing, or mixture.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
as far as de-tuning the car.... my tuner said that is an option. my guess is lean it out? pull timing.... basicly make it run like crap.

and then after the smog, flash the power tune back.
You can only lean it out if its tuned without the MAF. Otherwise the O2 feedback will automatically adjust to 14.7:1 .
Retarding the timing would tend to increase HC which is the opposite of what you'd want. I played around with advancing the timing and didnt notice any difference except a slight increase in NOx (expected with higher cylinder temp).
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if you were really motivated to you could just change the stoichemetric value to whatever you want. But that would pretty much be a waste of time because ultimately a camshaft will pass or fail smog simply on its own merits, and a 228/228/112 won't.

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
You can only lean it out if its tuned without the MAF. Otherwise the O2 feedback will automatically adjust to 14.7:1 .
Retarding the timing would tend to increase HC which is the opposite of what you'd want. I played around with advancing the timing and didnt notice any difference except a slight increase in NOx (expected with higher cylinder temp).
Old 11-10-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
Well, if you were really motivated to you could just change the stoichemetric value to whatever you want.
How? I tried several ways and in the end the O2 sensors would clip while in closed loop and AFR would bounce all around. I was able to average ~14.9:1 before loosing control of the feedback loop.
I eventually passed by reducing the O2 overshoot (or sigma) around 14.7 so I called it a day. I was looking to delay the injector shot so that less fuel would be available during overlap. But, I never got that far.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

tdawg,
stick with the 224/ 114lsa if you are concerned about emissions testing.

just curious, why are you going with the 6.0L heads?
do you plan on boosting the car?
you do know these heads will lower the compression to roughly 9.6:1?

if you stay n/a then i would recommend a different cylinder head to achieve more power and a happier motor when tuned.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Find on one of the tables where it has stoichometric listed at 14.63, change it to desired setting. Should work fine, but you reallly don't want to do that unless you're running ethanol or something, cause it will skew everything.

If you tried that and it didnt work, well, I don't know, it should work.

I'll be trying it in a couple weeks when I start running the camaro on E85.

How? I tried several ways and in the end the O2 sensors would clip while in closed loop and AFR would bounce all around. I was able to average ~14.9:1 before loosing control of the feedback loop.
I eventually passed by reducing the O2 overshoot (or sigma) around 14.7 so I called it a day. I was looking to delay the injector shot so that less fuel would be available during overlap. But, I never got that far.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
Find on one of the tables where it has stoichometric listed at 14.63, change it to desired setting.
This wont work with pump gas as the closed loop adjusts based on lambda or O2 readings. In other words, the PCM will drive the injectors to reach a 14.7 ratio no matter what stoichiometric setting you use.

Like stated above, I tried to change the switch point on the O2' but did not have much luck with the PID.

AFAIK, that stoichiometric input is used for all the equations to determine AFR for open loop only.

Pretty cool that your going E85. Are your fuel components compatible?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speednine
tdawg,
stick with the 224/ 114lsa if you are concerned about emissions testing.

just curious, why are you going with the 6.0L heads?
do you plan on boosting the car?
you do know these heads will lower the compression to roughly 9.6:1?

if you stay n/a then i would recommend a different cylinder head to achieve more power and a happier motor when tuned.
Yes the reason i'm going with the 6.0L heads is cause i'm either going to be putting a turbo or a procharger on it, if i do plan on staying n/a i'm oging to go with the 5.7 heads
Old 11-11-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure how its going to work out. I'm just gonna fill the fuel tank up and see what happens Long term it might cause damage to non metal components in the fuel system, but whatever. Its not exactly a daily driver, and I'm going to have to upgrade the fuel system eventually. My static compression ratio is 11.8:1 and dynamic is well over 9:1 so it should like it. I thought stoich was also used as a closed loop target? I might have to run a megasquirt or other aftermarket PCM to run it, because lambda for E85 is like 12 or 13 to 1.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

For those of you that have ran a 224/114, did you use the stock manifolds? I am looking to put this cam in my CTSV.

I had it in my camaro but the set up was not stock and I only know how it reacted through long tubes. I realize it will make more power through headers but I don't want to swap them out when it comes time for emissions.

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SILVER BULLET
For those of you that have ran a 224/114, did you use the stock manifolds? I am looking to put this cam in my CTSV.

I had it in my camaro but the set up was not stock and I only know how it reacted through long tubes. I realize it will make more power through headers but I don't want to swap them out when it comes time for emissions.

Thanks

Dave
I passed with the stock manifolds
Old 11-11-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Did it sound bottled up or restricted. Excess popping on deceleration?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SILVER BULLET
Did it sound bottled up or restricted. Excess popping on deceleration?
I've got similar cam TR220/114 and use ported stock manifolds and a variety of exhausts.
Stock cats there was never any popping on decel.
Random Cats have slight popping on hard deceleration.
ORP lots of popping! Wonderful, but too much attention.

Or, you can tune it out on the computer.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the good new is that after putting a lot of thought to it, yeah O2s do measure lambda so I don't really need to worry about what kind of fuel I use.

Our cars fuel systems are designed to handle E10 and they allegedly will handle much more ethanol than that.

Bad news, to run 9.7:1 AFR in closed loop and 7.5:1 in open loop you would need huge injectors, probably at least 42lbers to be safe in a 400rwhp application.

This wont work with pump gas as the closed loop adjusts based on lambda or O2 readings. In other words, the PCM will drive the injectors to reach a 14.7 ratio no matter what stoichiometric setting you use.

Like stated above, I tried to change the switch point on the O2' but did not have much luck with the PID.

AFAIK, that stoichiometric input is used for all the equations to determine AFR for open loop only.

Pretty cool that your going E85. Are your fuel components compatible?

Quick Reply: what size cam can i run in cali?