Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Rear End Shop

Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Shop

I let my little God brother use my car for the weekend and now my rear end sounds like a fomula-1 car a loud whistle type of sound. 1st would my rear end just blow or would the driving cause this type of noise. I bought the car on New years eve and have had no problems untill this weekend .My God brothers Dad said that it just needs fluid in the rear but ive had no leaks nowhere now my rear need fluid. But enuf venting. I just moved to Murrieta but I wasent gonna drive my car all the way home sounding like that so its in L.A. were is a good shop at or is it something I can fix ?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in LA is it?

I have had work done at Hoopers Rear Ends in Sun Valley, they do good work at great prices.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Off the 105 between the 110 and the 710 im still at home ,gonna try a lube it when I get to it 1st. Do I have to take the whole cover off or is there a drain plug? it sound like a very fine grinding sounds like metal on metal or something rubing it gets louder when I accelrate but no noise when im idle?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had bad experience with Hoopers. They assembled the first iteration of my 9" and neglected to remove the stickers from the axles...which probably would have made a big mess if they had remembered to put fluid in it.

Personally I would look somewhere else. Plus, that place isn't exactly the kind of place that you would want to leave your car.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I wasn't takin my car to sun valley. Im lookin for a place between where my car is ,and where I live so thats between L.A. going thru O.C. toward Murrieta via the 91 freeway. hope fully its just the fluid so I dont have to fine a shop I know of some shops in "the hood" that works on camaros only but there not places you would wanna leave your car overnight
Old 04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the cover off and see if there are broken teeth. Usually it is cheaper to find a local rearend for sale and swap them out. Maybe 200 for a good used rearend.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

will do thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

Toy Shop in Pomona (909) 620 5849 Ask for Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 11:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by URNZONEBAIT
I let my little God brother use my car for the weekend and now my rear end sounds like a fomula-1 car a loud whistle type of sound. 1st would my rear end just blow or would the driving cause this type of noise. I bought the car on New years eve and have had no problems untill this weekend .My God brothers Dad said that it just needs fluid in the rear but ive had no leaks nowhere now my rear need fluid. But enuf venting. I just moved to Murrieta but I wasent gonna drive my car all the way home sounding like that so its in L.A. were is a good shop at or is it something I can fix ?
being you live in murrieta now, go to Mikes Family auto in temecula does good work at fair prices.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Finger 02 Z28
Toy Shop in Pomona (909) 620 5849 Ask for Mike

I agree, Toy Shop is awesome, my rear has taken some abuse at the track, but its solid, for a 10 bolt, its just awesome.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

FLASH99 ''Gears are all in the install. I've had quite a few gear sets installed, and I finally gave up and went to the dealer, NO NOISE at all. It was well worth my $$$, I've taken gears to a few tranny shops and well, I had a jet engine, and a grumble sound on different installs, after the dealer installed them, flawless." after that post on another thread, I was sold on just spending more cash on going to the dealer (if need be) .But now you agree with the Toy shop I'm confused ? Nevertheless I will call Mikes the ToyShop and Last the Dealer .
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well its the rear end. Got a quote from a shop in paramount called "the gear shop" and they said,that they can rebuild the whole rear with G.M parts and upgrade to a 3.42 for prices between $700.00 - $1300.00. Depending on much actual damage there is with the rear there were metal shavings mixed with the fluid and the teeth were wearing , also there was alot of play with my wheels "berrings" the passenger with twice as much as the drivers side.Im gettin the rearend completly droped in the morning but still dont know if im gonna take it there will be lookin for a good used stock 3.42 tommorow Pray for and with me .
Old 05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said. Much cheaper to buy a low mile stocker from someone who swapped to a 12 bolt. Not worth spendng 700+ on a crappy stock rearend.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

yeh thats what im learning .But finding one would be the problem I have abs and traction control , and wanna keep both .I could get a stock 3.42 with abs but no traction control and I dont know If I can do that swap
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

i will almost guarantee you that your god son went over a curb or at least hit one pretty hard with one wheel. i did the same and it would whine pretty bad, the bearing was fucked. check the axles and see if they have bite marks in them where the bearing should be, i bet its bitten down on it. also check the teeth on the ring and pinion.....good luck.
sandro
Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yeh I know thats what happpen ,cause my wheels have a polished lip and if you look at them hard enuf they get crub damage. When I got my car back the was some curb damage on the rear passenger wheel in knowing that he's payin for it thats why Im tryin to find a complete used rear with abs and traction control and at lease 3.23 which was in in but if I can find a 3.42 that will be even better cause I really dont wanna have to get it rebuilt cause the price that was quoted is to rich for his blood
Old 05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well had no other choice but to rebulid ,a used 4 channel was impossible to fine in socal . so with my rear being completly shot I gotta pay $1600 for the rebulid was only about $1200 but there was some structural damage so I had to pay an extra $400 for machine work but its suppose to be ready tomorrow their takin out the tru trac and puttin a eaton posi with stock 3.42 new axles ect basically new from wheel to wheels with a warranty, so i really dont know if I got a bad deal but I need my car so I had no choice.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would have bought a used mosier for that price. I probably could have found you a used stocker. I figured somebody would chime in with a used one.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Shoulda just drove it till it exploded, wont hurt it any worse.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

I was hoping to fine a good used one all that were found were 3 channel I need 4 channel so I had no other choice but to rebuild. But driving till it exploded nah the noise was unbearable .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End Shop