Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Passed smog today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charging TA
I passed smog back in December with pretty damn good results, but I dont know how much I can mod over here, guess I have to ask the F-Body crowd here... Ive tried asking before about the sniffer on LTs, will they pass emissions gas wise? (Location of cat is not something they would know over here, and with a single cat it would stay pretty much in the same place).
The sniffer is not the issue. Longtubes won't pass the visual, period. Unless, of course, you know someone.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BeachZ
The sniffer is not the issue. Longtubes won't pass the visual, period. Unless, of course, you know someone.
Ok, when theres twenty or so total TAs in this country, I highly doubt they are going to dig up pictures of what the undercarriage is supposed to look like.

So my question again is, sniffer wise... will longtubes pass? (some say yes, others say no because with the increased power comes increased gases).
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Ok, when theres twenty or so total TAs in this country, I highly doubt they are going to dig up pictures of what the undercarriage is supposed to look like.

So my question again is, sniffer wise... will longtubes pass? (some say yes, others say no because with the increased power comes increased gases).
It doesn't take a rocket science to spot longtubes. But yeah, they will pass the sniffer if everything's set up correctly and you're not throwing codes.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Launching!

yes increased power=increased gas however the better the car runs the more efficient it is. also with more gas you get more air. you free up some power and make it more efficient because the motor runs smoother and not as restricted. the sniffer only takes a percentage of what is coming out. you can have as much flowing through as you want as long as a certain percentage of harmful emissions isn't reached. so more power is not equal to more emissions necessarily. i don't think that most smog guys around here would look to see if they were long tubes or not. as long as the car had all the necessary equipment and it runs clean it shouldn't make a difference. it doesn't matter where i mount the char coal canister as long as i have one right? i am sure some would be dorks about it but may be worth a try.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Alright thanks BeachZ and Rocketrider93,

Clears up alot of stuff. I can find out for sure about the cat placement issue, but seriously I dont believe it to be a problem since the cat that was on my TA (that now broke) was an aftermarket which the previous owner had put on, and a section of the pipe had been removed, so technically the new cat sat a few inches farther back but no one said or asked anything about it. And on a single cat car with long tubes isnt there enough space in the Y-Pipe to retain the almost-stock location of the cat (havent done any research into it however). Thanks again