Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

I wish mike morgan was still around....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil consumption problem was the fault of the diamond pistons changing their oil return holes on the ring lands to a smaller size. They have since changed back to the bigger holes on the ringlands, and the problem has gone away.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well then i have the older diamond design in my 408 built by TSP, doesnt burn a drop, it seemed to only happen to his motors.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

boy that thing must have clattered like hell from the day it started with such loose tolerances.......didn t you ask, whats all that noise? BTW that would be more likly to break the skirt of the piston then hit the head. What is the deck height? You have it apart whats the numbers on the others? What head gasket?

Im all for flaming away btw....just make sure you prove it.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yea, what do you use for data/logging? and what was the compression, cam, and timing again?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

damn 1320, if you drop a car off at a shop and get it back running like ****, you probably wouldn't pick it up, especially if you have mechanical experience yourself. I am sure the car sounded and ran ok. It sounds like the car gets driven about 1,000 miles a year anyway seeing how MM has been gone for quite some time. But I have yet to hear one single good thing about Morgan. He used to street race his customers cars without their knowledge among many other stupid things. I heard he also owes a lot of people a lot of money. But thats why he isn't in business anymore and that is also why we now have new shops such as Haddad Motorsports.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1320
oh yea, what do you use for data/logging? and what was the compression, cam, and timing again?
ok man, its all my fault, i blew up, why did i even bring this thread, Morgan has a great rep. . maybe the reason why i didnt complain about my car, was it took a year for them to finish my car in the first place . i dont know the deck height, and the gasket is a fel-pro for LT1 .039" thick, 58 cc chamber. but i do know when a ring land goes from detonation, and when its gone from contact with the heads. first clue might be the large elliptical groove gouged into the cylinder head, but maybe the detonation caused that piston shaped groove. have a good day Mike Morgan
Old 07-08-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

look Im not arguing about MM reputaion.....it was at one time flagged like the holy grail on internet boards, then things come out.....and reputations get slammed. I dont really care, or who built it, the bottom line is that with the information given it doesn t prove who or what caused it. Could it be builder error, sure, but it could be somethng entirely different, and just because the builder NOW has a bad rep doesn t mean he built that engine bad. He must have had a good rep when it was built.....otherwise he wouldn t have gone there.

Without all the information it is hard to impossible to determine the failure, and even then sometimes stuff just breaks.....and I didn t even ask all the questions I would normally ask, and so far they can not be answered. That is not a bad thing, but things to consider esspecially if your going to put another engine in. What if you get another engine in there in a few months, and two years from now have a simila problem......and the whole things turns out to be fp failing off, due to a bad regulator, pump, injectors that are not what they were thought to be, a bad tune, etc...
Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

but morgan did the tune. You shouldn't have to trailer a car around to different shops to get an engine installed and running properly. I am not trying to promote Haddad Motorsports, but I know what kind of work Mike does, and cars don't leave the shop until they have been run hard on the dyno numerous times to get the timing and AFR down. And if we had a new motor burning oil or blowing it out the breathers or making ticking noises, you could be positive that the motor was coming out of the car before the customer drives it home. So unless Ryne decided to do something dumb like over rev his motor, it should not have blown apart the way it did with only 5,000 miles on it. The crappy part about the engine failure is that MM is no longer around to take care of business. Not that he would anyway. But it would make a decent lawsuit. But all these shops that are slapping together motors without proper tuning and engine prep are a joke. Thats what I like about Haddad Motorsports. Mike Haddad is in it to make his customers happy and build a good reputation. He owns apartment buildings to make money. He works on cars for fun.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear man. I know where you're coming from.

Mike Morgan fried my PCM (literally, with a horrid soldering job) on my 2nd tune from him a couple years ago. The car would just die when it got hot. When I installed a new PCM and my car actually ran, I took the fried one back to him basically asking wtf. He said he had been tuning PCM's with that method for years and that it wasn't his fault. He even wanted to charge me to retune the new PCM, but there's no way in hell I was going to let him touch the new one.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1320
look Im not arguing about MM reputaion.....it was at one time flagged like the holy grail on internet boards, then things come out.....and reputations get slammed. I dont really care, or who built it, the bottom line is that with the information given it doesn t prove who or what caused it. Could it be builder error, sure, but it could be somethng entirely different, and just because the builder NOW has a bad rep doesn t mean he built that engine bad. He must have had a good rep when it was built.....otherwise he wouldn t have gone there.

Without all the information it is hard to impossible to determine the failure, and even then sometimes stuff just breaks.....and I didn t even ask all the questions I would normally ask, and so far they can not be answered. That is not a bad thing, but things to consider esspecially if your going to put another engine in. What if you get another engine in there in a few months, and two years from now have a simila problem......and the whole things turns out to be fp failing off, due to a bad regulator, pump, injectors that are not what they were thought to be, a bad tune, etc...
yeah bad injector, and bad fuel pump, and bad regulater, , brand new 36 lb per hour injector i put it, replaceing the old 36lb injectors, brand new aeromotive regulater set at same pressure as it was tuned on, and brand new custom fuel tank with aeromotive A1000 pump mounted inside it, and
-10an lines from tank to rail, does that answer all your questions.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Launching!

1320 is not Mike, or anyone affiliated. He's just playing devils advocate with you guys.

Ive seen the A/F curves on some of Morgans tunes.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by pakisho
1320 is not Mike, or anyone affiliated. He's just playing devils advocate with you guys.

Ive seen the A/F curves on some of Morgans tunes.
seriously lol
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
because i would strangle him. i just pulled my 383 LT1 built by him out of my TA, unbolted the head, and to my surprised i see that the pistion made contact with the heads, broke a large portion of the ringland off, i am pissed, this motor only has like 5,000 miles on it, i am pissed, **** morgan. just wanted to share my frustrations.

as i understand it he's back east somewhere..brandi from street trends www.streettrends.com told me about it.....he's doing 94-96 impala stuff out there and puts on a show once a year that street trends attends....call over to street trends and ask for brandi and just play it off like your lookin for morgan in regard to the impala show or some ****....hope this helps, i hear he fukked alotta people over and i hope he gets his *** beat....

Quick Reply: I wish mike morgan was still around....