Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Damn camera lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn camera lights

Today i got a letter with some pics of my car going through a red light saying i need to pay $350. BUT.... i was in the right hand lane making a right turn. Isn't it legal to make right turns like that ???? I mean i'm not totally up to date on my CA laws of the road, but i believe that's legal unless there is a sign saying otherwise.

Let me know if i'm in the wrong here. Or if any of you guys have delt with these camera lights and been able to fight/correct them.

Ryan
Old 07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

I call Mr. Ticket whenj I get a ticket, 99 bucks will save your *** usually
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

If the light was red, you still have to stop when turning right.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, but money is very tight right now, with me saving for a daily driver, and saving to go to school out of state, and spending $400 to have the TA towed home last night after the thermostat crapped out on me 50 miles away from home
Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

As long as you stop before you make a right turn I believe you are good. I'm not from CA though.

Chris
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
If the light was red, you still have to stop when turning right.
I did stop before i turned, but in any case i don't belive those lights work off of whether or not you stop before you go. I think it's a simple cross the line = flash bulbs and stop light fame for about 20 seconds... but i may be wrong
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

was there a sign posted saying, "do not turn on red" during mon-friday usaully on school days
?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

I have heard alot about the tickets and cameras. Seems they have to have a "CLEAR" shot of your face as well. And normally this doesnt always happen. I would do what they said and pay that ticket guy.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

Don't send it in a few of my friend have gotten those tickets they ignored them 1 year passed check there records and does not say anything about that..so yea
Old 07-18-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there was no sign saying do not turn on red. i even drove through that light several more times today just to see if it would go off and it didn't. and they do have a very clear shot of my face (it's a "no way those flashes are for me" face) because i stopped, checked for traffic then idled away
Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it looks like you ar emaking the right hand turn in the picture, then I'd imagine it would hold up in court. They just put those damn camrera's on a stretch of freeway here in AZ and they are having so many problems with them not working right that they might just scrap the whole thing. It was rediculous in the first place to put them there. So I bet if you go to court... I know not exactly the best situation, they'd let you out of it.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Here on the 101 they caught some Hyndai rental car doing 96 mph when the car is only capable of doing 80 something. They claim that the cameras are NEVER WRONG. Take it to court and argue your case.

PS. I go to court today for the towing company that did $1200 worth to my car
Wish me luck
Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya go to court and from what you say you will win hands down.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll see if i can take care of it by letter first, and after that i'll be taking it up with the judge. and good luck to the others on here with pending court cases.

Ryan
Old 07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably received it erroneously because there are no quality control mechanisms in place. Camera takes picture, license plate is read, ticket is issued.

There is no one checking to see if you were making a legal turn, if you were stuck in the intersection because a dead bum is laying in the middle of the road, or if you slammed on your brakes while some ******* made an illegal turn in front of you. Those you have to fight.

Do any of the pics show your brake lights? Even if its just a glow. If so, easy win.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know how it is exactly out in cali but i know here in VA red light cameras were ruled something along the lines of unconstitutional and are no longer used except for federal/county studies. Although since you got a notification I assume this is not the case out in yall's area. But check out the local laws just to make sure; who knows you may get lucky?

Jason
Old 07-18-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
If it looks like you ar emaking the right hand turn in the picture, then I'd imagine it would hold up in court. They just put those damn camrera's on a stretch of freeway here in AZ and they are having so many problems with them not working right that they might just scrap the whole thing. It was rediculous in the first place to put them there. So I bet if you go to court... I know not exactly the best situation, they'd let you out of it.
Ot, but wasn't there some dude in an old red Olds convertible that got his pic taken like over 50 times or something in the period before they started mailing tickets? I seem to recall that when I was last down there....ironically the day before they were gonna start mailing out tickets instead of warnings.

Quick Reply: Damn camera lights