Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Phx F/Y Bodies *Week 13* 8/14/06

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol @ you guys posting 5pages while I was working.

Have a job that is boring and have to work 9 hours ftl
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
so questions for ye oh mr. TC

so essentially putting a big cam like the MS4 in your car is like "VTEC"

hurts low end but dominated in the high end?
Not really. VTEC is adjustable on the fly, a cam in your car is not. That's the "magic"....good low end driveability and emissions along with good top-end performance, you get the best of both instead of having to give one up for the other. VVT is going to play a huge part in the engines of the future. I think I remember hearing that GM (others too, I'm sure) has been testing a cam-less motor with pneumatically-actuated valves, which would yield infinitely variable timing. Would be pretty sweet to get a new valve timing profile by changing your tune.

Anyway, back on topic....if I understand correctly, VTEC just changes the amount of lift that the valves get, lower lift at lower RPM and higher lift at higher RPM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

GM has a similar thing out in the new I5 motor that's in the Colorado, except it hydraulically advances and retards the exhaust valve timing in relation to the timing gear, so the exhaust timing is advanced at high and retarded at low RPM, or vice versa. Can't remember which exactly.

Last edited by thunder550; 08-16-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

So today I witnessed first hand, THE ULTIMATE TOUGH GUY!

And i know what your thinking and it is definitely true, he was driving a mustang gt.... a yellow one at that!

So my g/f and I are crusin on the 101 coming back from scottsdale mall when i look in my mirror to find this mustang all over the road, cutting people off left and right. Im in the middle lane and cruisin at 70, i see him coming up next to me in the fast lane and wait for him to pass.

I wait and wait and he slows down and gets dead even with me, i look over and was just dumbfounded at the sight i just saw. this guy is sitting there with his windows down, the HARDEST stiff arm known to all man, and the most outrageous look of determination on his face.

At this point all I can do is laugh, so naturally I do. He does nothing and still stares, now im cracking up trying to get this guy to crack his "I own a mustang" smirk... Still nothing, now both my g/f and I are hysterical only to **** this guy off even more.

He starts revving mad and jerking the car, granted it did sound very nice, but still he was an idiot. So there is not much traffic ahead and i see him shake his head. I laugh and throw it in third while he took off... Not even before out of third did i pull on this guy, as i look over at this retard, he is sittin there white knuckles and all still with his grin on his face now all pissed because he just blew his tough guy image losing to an lt1.

Great encounter and I hope i see this guy again so i can shake his hand and reward him with "TUFFY OF THE YEAR"
Old 08-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Banned

Drunk FTW!

Yay.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ReD95LT1
So today I witnessed first hand, THE ULTIMATE TOUGH GUY!

And i know what your thinking and it is definitely true, he was driving a mustang gt.... a yellow one at that!

So my g/f and I are crusin on the 101 coming back from scottsdale mall when i look in my mirror to find this mustang all over the road, cutting people off left and right. Im in the middle lane and cruisin at 70, i see him coming up next to me in the fast lane and wait for him to pass.

I wait and wait and he slows down and gets dead even with me, i look over and was just dumbfounded at the sight i just saw. this guy is sitting there with his windows down, the HARDEST stiff arm known to all man, and the most outrageous look of determination on his face.

At this point all I can do is laugh, so naturally I do. He does nothing and still stares, now im cracking up trying to get this guy to crack his "I own a mustang" smirk... Still nothing, now both my g/f and I are hysterical only to **** this guy off even more.

He starts revving mad and jerking the car, granted it did sound very nice, but still he was an idiot. So there is not much traffic ahead and i see him shake his head. I laugh and throw it in third while he took off... Not even before out of third did i pull on this guy, as i look over at this retard, he is sittin there white knuckles and all still with his grin on his face now all pissed because he just blew his tough guy image losing to an lt1.

Great encounter and I hope i see this guy again so i can shake his hand and reward him with "TUFFY OF THE YEAR"

I feel like I've heard this before...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05_GTO
That's what I need to do... minus the strip jenga.
Lemme tell ya, a six pack and a cigar will make your day betta =)

Plus, watching an old flame practice her sexercise and then kicking a few beers back with ya just makes it all the betta =)

Ah, yes, it was a good night.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thunder550
Not really. VTEC is adjustable on the fly, a cam in your car is not. That's the "magic"....good low end driveability and emissions along with good top-end performance, you get the best of both instead of having to give one up for the other. VVT is going to play a huge part in the engines of the future. I think I remember hearing that GM (others too, I'm sure) has been testing a cam-less motor with pneumatically-actuated valves, which would yield infinitely variable timing. Would be pretty sweet to get a new valve timing profile by changing your tune.

Anyway, back on topic....if I understand correctly, VTEC just changes the amount of lift that the valves get, lower lift at lower RPM and higher lift at higher RPM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

GM has a similar thing out in the new I5 motor that's in the Colorado, except it hydraulically advances and retards the exhaust valve timing in relation to the timing gear, so the exhaust timing is advanced at high and retarded at low RPM, or vice versa. Can't remember which exactly.
You are close, but not quite there...Essentially, like i've mentioned earlier, a camshaft found on a vehicle equipped with VTEC is very intricate...It's special in the fact that it has 3 seperate lobe profiles...2 are for the low speed driveability, the third is where all the fun comes from...Once you get to a certain RPM ,(and this is dependant on several variables such as load, throttle position, ect...) Oil pressure rises in the cylinder head and pushes a pin in the rockers of the low speed lobe profiles...Meanwhile the nasty lobe is actuated, and that's where you get the different sound, and performance...It's controlling not only lift, but duration and VTE as well...

Would be pretty neat to see a large displacement V8 with VTEC...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned

**** you guys...i'm done posting here...

Old 08-16-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

what is wrong with you josh... sorry *** little girl
Old 08-16-2006, 02:54 AM
Banned

you already know
Old 08-16-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

random.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, a little too hissy fit for my tates... Hrm
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

morning everyone...this week is finally half over. i gotta change some things soon or im gonna go out of my mind...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by WsSickLs6
You are close, but not quite there...Essentially, like i've mentioned earlier, a camshaft found on a vehicle equipped with VTEC is very intricate...It's special in the fact that it has 3 seperate lobe profiles...2 are for the low speed driveability, the third is where all the fun comes from...Once you get to a certain RPM ,(and this is dependant on several variables such as load, throttle position, ect...) Oil pressure rises in the cylinder head and pushes a pin in the rockers of the low speed lobe profiles...Meanwhile the nasty lobe is actuated, and that's where you get the different sound, and performance...It's controlling not only lift, but duration and VTE as well...

Would be pretty neat to see a large displacement V8 with VTEC...
Ahhh I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

What's this about?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

WTF?????????

I am confused.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

hello. anybody here.........................
Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

I get my car back today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL @ Josh. He'll be back.

Yay, Jeff gets the Stang back. Good Teusdays FTW. And yeah def glad this week is half over.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

Cool that he'll be back, but what was that all about?

First day of class starts at 6pm tonight. Grad school FTW!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

yeah on the real what happend to him?

Quick Reply: Phx F/Y Bodies *Week 13* 8/14/06