Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA. state law on N2O!!... Info plz!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got pulled over by oc sheriff's and they searched my car for whatever reason and saw the tank hidden in the spare tire well....asked if it was N20 i said yes, he hit my purge button a couple times and didnt say anything else about it...
Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

i went threw a few road blocks on new years and at one of them the officer saw the tank in between the rear seats and called a few other officers to look at it. the words they used to describe it were "thats badass"
Old 02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flash12t
just letting u know i live in canoga park and im ussally drive around the valley i have a few friends that live in sylmar. . and i never really had a problem in the valley . .ive even had sum cops say nice car. . plus i knew a few people around u that have camaros. . allblacksrt has a camaro (sylmar) and so does djsanchez also in sylmar

and radar detectors kick ***!!! saved my *** more then a few times!!! valentine one !!!
Canoga Park has was too much traffic!! I couldn't really speed there even if I wanted to! Too many cops around that frig'n mall and I know it so I behave around there!
.....No....... I'm talking about Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Winnetca, Northridge, Granada Hills, Resseda and Panaorama. I live 2 blocks from the Budwiser plant so you must know that I deal with allot of cops out here. The WS.6 is in the shop so I'm driving around a Dodge 1500 Big Horn and I still get pulled over for do'n 8mph over the speed limit! .lol.....what a bitch!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dyls1
You do know that Phil Hendrie does all of the voices of the main people on his show and hopes that people call in and talk trash and make ratings .
It doesn't matter that was still some of the funniest crap I've ever heard. The funny part about it is I actually talk to people like that many times a day at my job. I just laugh about it...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

*bump*!!!

Who's been written up for N2O by CHP or LAPD?!!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

So cops are pulling you guys over, and searching your cars for speed equipment? Are you guys speeding, when they pull you over, or theyre just checking anything that looks like a performance car? What happens when you refuse to let them look at the car?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rob c
So cops are pulling you guys over, and searching your cars for speed equipment? Are you guys speeding, when they pull you over, or theyre just checking anything that looks like a performance car? What happens when you refuse to let them look at the car?
I'm just try'n to find out what people's personal experience's are with nitrous in CA. are.

Who's been pulled over by CHP or LAPD and had issues w/ the N20 in the car?!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I'm just try'n to find out what people's personal experience's are with nitrous in CA. are.

Who's been pulled over by CHP or LAPD and had issues w/ the N20 in the car?!

sorry nevr dealt with the chips or la's finest.....usually chp will be the worst to deal with as far as "going by the letter of the law" city cops/sherrifs are usually more leinant
Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Well,..Sheriffs I don't mind much cuz I rarely see them,.CHP tho is my largest concern.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

My guess is that CHP is probably gonna be more versed on whats legal and whats not on the car? Never stopped in the Camaro, always in an Impala, so never had these issues...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Unfortunatly the cops out here in the valley give domestic muscle cars the same amount of lieniency as they do riceres. Sux.. I get pulled over so much you wouldn't believe.
in my area cops completely look the other way if your a domestic unless your are blatently breaking a law. i know once that i passed a cop going 50ish in a 40 and nothing happened, and then my friend not 3 minutes later passed the same cop and god ticketed for 47 in a 40.

or me amd my best friend were at a meet when a bunch of ricers pulled up. it was ok for a while but then they started to do dumb ****(trying to do burnouts, driftin gin the parking lot). Instantly come in the cops, blocking off all the exits. Make everyone get in a single line and search every car for anythign illegal (substances, mods, etc.) Every single ricer got at least one ticket, on some they were even measuring for headlights being too low! Every domestic they pulled up they made the driver get out, make sure they were sober and told them to have a nice night.. not one domestic got its hood opened or a ticket

sorry for the long post
Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
in my area cops completely look the other way if your a domestic unless your are blatently breaking a law. i know once that i passed a cop going 50ish in a 40 and nothing happened, and then my friend not 3 minutes later passed the same cop and god ticketed for 47 in a 40.

or me amd my best friend were at a meet when a bunch of ricers pulled up. it was ok for a while but then they started to do dumb ****(trying to do burnouts, driftin gin the parking lot). Instantly come in the cops, blocking off all the exits. Make everyone get in a single line and search every car for anythign illegal (substances, mods, etc.) Every single ricer got at least one ticket, on some they were even measuring for headlights being too low! Every domestic they pulled up they made the driver get out, make sure they were sober and told them to have a nice night.. not one domestic got its hood opened or a ticket

sorry for the long post
Wish I had that luck!... I get pulled for 7 over the limit!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hows those new parts working out for you? A friend of mine did his SLP LTs last weekend and he's still complaining about it being a PITA. Also put a loud mouth on and damn his car is loud. It's that guy I work with if you didn't know.

And just so it's not a total thread jack... CHP = t3h suxxor
Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Hows those new parts working out for you? A friend of mine did his SLP LTs last weekend and he's still complaining about it being a PITA. Also put a loud mouth on and damn his car is loud. It's that guy I work with if you didn't know.

And just so it's not a total thread jack... CHP = t3h suxxor
Yea,....I finally put the headers on the day before yesterday,......**** DUDE!!,.......those SLPs are a sum of a bitch to put in but god damit .....they are frig'n loud!!! ....I love em!!! I swear,."easy bolt on" MY ***!!!!!! .... I WILL NEVER DO ANOTHER SLP LT,AGAIN!!!

Hey,.ask your co worker if he had any trouble with the fiberglass fire sleeve that you get in the installation kit.

P.S. ....thanx bro for put'n that order through for nme.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

*Bump*.........
Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I've been looking all morning to find where it says that:

-bottle must be disconnected OR
-bottle can't be in car

... but no luck. Any one have a link to the written CA code?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bolt-ons and Engine Modifications in California

§ 2222. Add-on Parts and Modified Parts.
(a) As used in this section, the terms “advertise” and “advertisement” include, but are not limited to, any notice, announcement, information, publication, catalog, listing for sale, or other statement concerning a product or service communicated to the public for the purpose of furthering the sale of the product or service.

(b)(1) Except for publishers as provided in subsection 3, no person or company doing business solely in California or advertising only in California shall advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism which alters or
modifies the original design or performance of any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system unless such part, apparatus, or mechanism has been exempted from Vehicle Code section 27156, and the limitations of the exemption, if any, are contained within the advertisement in type size to give reasonable notice of such limitations.

(2) Except for publishers as provided in subsection 3, no person or company doing business in interstate commerce shall advertise in California any device, apparatus, or mechanism which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system and not exempted from Vehicle Code section 27156 unless each advertisement contains a legally adequate disclaimer in type size adequate
to give reasonable notice of any limitation on the sale or use of the device, apparatus, or mechanism.

(3) No publisher, after receipt of notice from the state board or after otherwise being placed on notice that the advertised part is subject to and has not been exempted from the provisions of Vehicle Code section 27156, shall make or disseminate or cause to be made or disseminated before the public in this state any advertisement for add-on or modified parts subject to the provisions of this article, which have not been exempted from Vehicle Code section 27156, unless such advertisement clearly and accurately states the legal conditions, if any, on sale and use of the parts in California.

(4) The staff of the state board shall provide, upon request, model language which satisfies these requirements.

(c) No person shall advertise, offer for sale, or install a part as a motor vehicle pollution control device or as an approved or certified device, when in fact such part is not a motor vehicle pollution control device or is not approved or certified by the state board.

(d) No person shall advertise, offer for sale, sell, or install an add-on or modified part as a replacement part.

(e) The executive officer may exempt add-on and modified parts based on an evaluation conducted in accordance with the “Procedures for Exemption of Add-on and Modified Parts,” adopted by the state board on
November 4, 1977, as amended June 1, 1990.

(f) Each person engaged in the business of retail sale or installation of an add-on or modified part which has not been exempted from Vehicle Code section 27156 shall maintain records of such activity which indicate date of sale, purchaser name and address, vehicle model and work performed if applicable. Such records shall be open for reasonable inspection by the executive officer or his/her representative. All such records shall be maintained for four years from the date of sale or installation.

(g) A violation of any of the prohibitions set forth in this section shall be grounds for the executive officer to invoke the provisions of section 2225.

Laws on High Flow Cats

(1) The Executive Officer shall exempt new aftermarket non-original equipment catalytic converters from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code sections 27156 and 38391 based on an evaluation conducted in accordance with the “California Evaluation Procedures for New Aftermarket Non-Original Equipment Catalytic Converters” as adopted by the state board on August 19, 1988.

(2) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale or advertise, any new non-original equipment aftermarket catalytic converter in California after 180 days from the date of filing of this subsection with the Secretary of State unless
they have been exempted pursuant to the procedures as provided in this subsection.

(3) For the purposes of this regulation, a new aftermarket non-original equipment catalytic converter is a catalytic converter which is constructed of all new materials and is not a replacement part as defined in Title 13,
California Code of Regulations, section 1900, or which includes any new material or construction which is not equivalent to the materials or construction of the original equipment converter.

(i)(1) Except as provided in Subsection (i)(2) below, no person shall install, sell, offer for sale or advertise, any used catalytic converter in California unless the catalytic converter has been exempted pursuant to the “Criteria for Evaluation of Add-On Parts and Modified Parts,” adopted by the state board on November 4, 1977, as amended May 19, 1981.

(2) The Executive Officer shall exempt used original equipment oxidation catalytic converters which comply with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency interim enforcement policy for used converters (published at 51
Federal Register (FR) 28114 (August 5, 1986) and 51 FR 28132 (August 5, 1986)) from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code sections 27156 and 38391 for the vehicle applications indicated by the federal label and
installation instructions.

(3) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale or advertise, any recycled or salvaged used catalytic converter in California more than 30 days after the date of filing of this subsection with the Secretary of State unless they have
been exempted from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code sections 27156 and 38391 pursuant to the procedures provided in this subsection.

(4) For the purposes of this regulation, a “used catalytic converter” is a catalytic converter which is not a newaftermarket non-original equipment catalytic converter as defined in Subsection (h)(3), or a replacement part as
defined in section 1900; and “oxidation catalytic converter” is a catalytic converter designed for the control of only hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions.

NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 39600, 39601, 43000 and 43011, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 39002, 39003, 39500, 43000,
43011 and 43644, Health and Safety Code; and Sections 27156, 38391 and 38395, Vehicle Code.

Vehicle Code in California

Air Pollution Control Device
27156. (a) No person shall operate or leave standing upon any highway any motor vehicle which is a gross polluter, as defined in Section 39032.5 of the Health and Safety Code.
(b) No person shall operate or leave standing upon any highway any motor vehicle which is required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device under Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any other certified motor vehicle pollution control device required by any other state law or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to that law, or required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device pursuant to the National Emission Standards Act (42 U.S.C. Secs. 1857f-1 to 1857f-7, inclusive) and the standards and regulations adopted pursuant to that federal act, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with the required motor vehicle pollution control device which is correctly installed and in operating condition. No person shall disconnect, modify, or alter any such required device.

(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system.

(d) If the court finds that a person has willfully violated this section, the court shall impose the maximum fine that may be imposed in the case, and no part of the fine may be suspended.

(e) "Willfully," as used in this section, has the same meaning as the meaning of that word prescribed in Section 7 of the Penal Code.

(f) No person shall operate a vehicle after notice by a traffic officer that the vehicle is not equipped with the required certified motor vehicle pollution control device correctly installed in operating condition, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle has been properly equipped with such a device.

(g) The notice to appear issued or complaint filed for a violation of this section shall require that the person to whom the notice to appear is issued or against whom the complaint is filed produce proof of correction pursuant to Section 40150 or proof of exemption pursuant to Section 4000.1 or 4000.2

(h) This section shall not apply to an alteration, modification, or modifying device, apparatus, or mechanism found by resolution of the State Air Resources Board to do either of the following:

(1) Not to reduce the effectiveness of any required motor vehicle pollution control device.

(2) To result in emissions from any such modified or altered vehicle which are at levels which comply with existing state or federal standards for that model year of the vehicle being modified or converted.

(i) This section applies to motor vehicles of the United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal law.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well nothing about nitrous
Old 03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danger731
Well nothing about nitrous
Did you read it any of it?

(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system

According to the California Air Resources Board, nitrous modifies the the emissions system.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs339.pdf

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

Last edited by Juiced; 03-22-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Juiced
Did you read it any of it?

(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system

According to the California Air Resources Board, nitrous modifies the the emissions system.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs339.pdf

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm
Yea we read the WHOLE thing! lil unnessasary. That was allot to read..... you could have just thrown the paragraph above in instead of the whole thing. Thanx tho.

Ya know what,..I think I'm gonna bug a CHP officer about it today.

Quick Reply: CA. state law on N2O!!... Info plz!