Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI
View Poll Results: Shold i put cats on my car???
yes put cats on the car!!
44.79%
No just use the ORY the way it is
55.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

CATS OR NO CATS!! in california!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jermzz
This is mis information.

If you get pulled over and for some reason the cop, which most of them dont even know what to look for, peers under the car and sees you dont have cats, he will issue you a smog ref ticket.

This doesn't automatically mean you have a 1200 fine. It means you need to see the ref. So you have all that time (pluss 2 months on top of that you can push the ticket back) to put your car back to smoggable condition. If you go to the smog ref and you still dont have cats, then yes, you can get a large fine, but nobody is that stupid I hope.

Cops arent gonna look under your car for cats unless you get pulled over for doing something really stupid. I got pulled over by a chp for going 100 in a 65. He said he "knew that the backfire sound my car was making meant I had no cats." I just told him the car only has one cat, and pointed at my resonator on my I pipe and he didnt know the difference. 99% of the time, on our type of cars they have no idea what they're looking at. Ricers is what they're trained to know whats legal and what's not. The ones that do know are always older guys who have enough respect to slap you on the wrist and let you go.

I speak all this from experience, I havnt had cats for 5 years.

EDIT:

I have absolutely no smog equipment on my car whatsoever. Down to all the hoses and pump gone. I got pulled over earlier in the summer by a cop and he popped my hood. Glanced at it for 5 minutes and still didnt have a clue there was no smog parts to be found. I got a bald tire ticket cause I was on full slicks and skinnies and a modified exhaust ticket cause my car was ear piercing. 427 with STRAIT PIPE at the time and a cam in the 250s.

dude having a resonator on the I pipe is a really good idea!!! i never though of that!! so that means i wouldent have to worry about the ory and havin cats custom fit to it!!! most likely i will use your idea!! 1 resonator on the I pipe sounds perfect!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

on btw everybody, im not concerned about smog wat so ever i am concerned about noise! i know i wont pass the smog inspection either way,
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
dude having a resonator on the I pipe is a really good idea!!! i never though of that!! so that means i wouldent have to worry about the ory and havin cats custom fit to it!!! most likely i will use your idea!! 1 resonator on the I pipe sounds perfect!
Glad I could help. If you're interested, this was my setup.

I dont know if you know about or how borla adjustable exhaust is, but basically it has a cutout at the back of the car before it goes into the muffler. they give you different plates all with different size holes in them to change how loud you want the car.

I put the resonator on the I pipe and left the borla wide open with no plate and took the cats off. It sounded good and was still loud, but when I put the block off plate on the borla and sent it through the muffler too, it went to almost stock quiet. Perfect sleeper.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Glad I could help. If you're interested, this was my setup.

I dont know if you know about or how borla adjustable exhaust is, but basically it has a cutout at the back of the car before it goes into the muffler. they give you different plates all with different size holes in them to change how loud you want the car.

I put the resonator on the I pipe and left the borla wide open with no plate and took the cats off. It sounded good and was still loud, but when I put the block off plate on the borla and sent it through the muffler too, it went to almost stock quiet. Perfect sleeper.

wow thats ausome!!! i would love to see a pic of your setup or could u show me where u bought your resonator!!! yea im sure it would sound perfect with the flowmaster!! i am very interested in the setup and would love to know what type of resonator it is?? thanks alot man i really appreciate your help!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

would this one be good???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-UNI...QQcmdZViewItem

or this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

well i say noo cats. i have been pulled over for various stupid reasons all being my fault. i have only had 1 cop look under my car and see i had no cats. he told me he could have towed my car if he wanted to. it was in oakland at the races so he new what was going on. at the time i had ms3 cam, lts, o/r y, and straight pipes he only gave me a tickket for no lisence plates and told me not to go back there
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Does California do a sniffer test or an OBDII test only? I used to have a Nissan that when I put my header on I used two spark plug anti-foulers. Drill them out, screw them together and screw this into the O2 sensor hole, then screw the O2 sensor into this. It effectively backs the sensor out of the exhaust pipe far enough to still read exhaust, but it reads it as cleaner, making the car think it still has cats. I never thought it would work, always read about it, tried it out and within three days my SES light went away and never came back on. Good enough to fool the OBDII emissions test.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TR GTO
Does California do a sniffer test or an OBDII test only? I used to have a Nissan that when I put my header on I used two spark plug anti-foulers. Drill them out, screw them together and screw this into the O2 sensor hole, then screw the O2 sensor into this. It effectively backs the sensor out of the exhaust pipe far enough to still read exhaust, but it reads it as cleaner, making the car think it still has cats. I never thought it would work, always read about it, tried it out and within three days my SES light went away and never came back on. Good enough to fool the OBDII emissions test.
Both, and the sniffer is under load on the dyno.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

**** cali smog no cats
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was using a dynomax bullet.

I dont have any pics of the setup and it's not on the car anymore cause I sold the motor. sorry about that.

I'm going TDs with sweet thunder now.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Both, and the sniffer is under load on the dyno.
That's what I thought. This trick works in AZ as we only do the OBDII test. Obviously '95 and older do the sniffer, but that's the only cars that do it here.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep.. cali really is the ball sack for cops and smog. But i'm a rebel.

Im like the only person I know ballsy enough to drive around on the street in
California with open exhaust on 28" slicks and skinnies with absolutely no smog equipment camming so hard it throws old mens pace keepers off beat.

and I love every second of it. Even when I do get pulled over.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I drove my 98 without cats, Mac Headers & Cut out..Officer didn't even blink when I went by him..Guess he didn't care
Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say it would depend on your combo (LTs?, which catback?) if the only reason you want cats is for sound deadening.

I voted no cats since once you go w/ LTs, why would you want cats?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well my bro has paceheader, y pipe and borla(non adjustable) it sounds good not to loud little raspy but not loud...
its a little louder then my all stock car with a w6s stock muffler.

And another friend is putting a bullet muffler like dynomax or somthin, before his corsa exhaust to stop the raspiness from his 400hp+ ls1.

Last edited by -98-Z28-Darkness-; 01-12-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

what are some good cheap high flow cats?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

to the contrary bro "98 darkness" my car has no rasp what so ever...i have pace LT with their y pipe no cats and the borla por xs muffler out back..really quiet opens up nicely when open throttle...it is no louder than when i had the flowaster out back with manifolds and cats...sounds really quiet and its not annoying.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

I've been pulled over 13 times. Not once have they asked if I had cats.

They ask if I am smog legal, I just say "of course". That's the end of that... not really a big deal, to me at least.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it is a $5,000 fine for no cats. Yes they do send you to a smog place and you have that much time. The cops can tow you car instantly if they want too, if you dont have cats. You can put gutted cats on there, so they appear to be there just not functional. Thats the safeest way to go about doing it. They are starting to crack down on the smog and **** like that.

Just watch yourself.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

yea temporarily i am in the process of gutting the cats! but thanks to a wonderful idea i will soon start using a resonator thanks guys

Quick Reply: CATS OR NO CATS!! in california!!