Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI
View Poll Results: Shold i put cats on my car???
yes put cats on the car!!
44.79%
No just use the ORY the way it is
55.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

CATS OR NO CATS!! in california!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have pacesetters LTs with two high flow cats welded right at the collectors, the noise is perfect not loud just cruzing but when you wana jump on it, youll get that scream again, the cats actually make the car sound deeper in tone and better my honest opinion, get the high flow magna flow cats
Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I voted for cats for one reason but this is just my opinion, to me a car with cats usually sounds way better, and thats the sole reason for me wanting cats on my car. I dont really like raspy exhausts.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I also voted yes. I plan to keep my cats to cut down on pollution, y'know, doing my part and all that. I see it as responsible hotrodding.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Teching In

i just called chevy,and told me that they didn't know if my car was under warranty or extended warranty. i had to take the car to them, and they were going to to check it out. but i had to pay $100 buck for them to check it, and if it was covered by the extended warranty i had to pay for the labor coast what the fck so were is the warranty on this and told them my car was 122k miles on it so now what.i voted yes but gut them out
Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its alot easier(and cheaper) to "have" a car smogged when it will pass the sniffer and teh tech only has to overlook that the cats are moved. IMO if you are making good power its kind of cheap insurance to run cats and loose the 10hp or so. I dont have them simply because my car is low, it would take away ground clearence, and at the time I really didnt want to spend the extra money.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just run cats. they're not a big hp killer. Its better for the environment, and most importantly you and your car wont smell like ****.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

so you guys believe in the "save the environment" crap huh, I'm just gonna say this, one volcano erupting produce's more pollution then we've produced In the past hundred years.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Look, I want to save the environment as much as the next guy but I am also of the opinion that the state could make a lot of money by simply charging a "header tax" for people with modified cars. Out of the millions of cars in this state 1-2% w/out emissions on them won't make a difference, especially when out of those 1-2% less than .5% will be daily driven.
I physically CANNOT put cats on my car due to the leaded gas, they will plug up w/in the first 100 miles.
This is always a good subject to bring up as right now my car resides in a different state but since I have moved here I would like to be able to take my car to a car show once in a while without becoming a criminal.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
so you guys believe in the "save the environment" crap huh, I'm just gonna say this, one volcano erupting produce's more pollution then we've produced In the past hundred years.
Understood, but that doesn't mean I should go around spewing as many hydrocarbons and as much CO2 as possible. Go to Arrowhead and look down at the city. On most days, you won't be able to see it past the brown cloud. If you don't take this "save the environment crap" into account, then you need to get off 'tech and spend some more time outside.

You don't need the "liberal media" to tell you that the environment is fucked when you can clearly see the color of the sky.

edit: Also, we did that to the sky without the aid of a volcano.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brandotron
Understood, but that doesn't mean I should go around spewing as many hydrocarbons and as much CO2 as possible. Go to Arrowhead and look down at the city. On most days, you won't be able to see it past the brown cloud. If you don't take this "save the environment crap" into account, then you need to get off 'tech and spend some more time outside.

You don't need the "liberal media" to tell you that the environment is fucked when you can clearly see the color of the sky.

edit: Also, we did that to the sky without the aid of a volcano.
So, that doesn't mean anything, in the prehistoric area there was way more hydrocarbons in the air. Or just like when they say the polar ice caps melt we will all be under water right. That doesnt even make any sense first of all if they did melt the water level would drop.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

it still doesnt mean that you should go about polluting the atmosphere if you dont need to. Tread lightly. Im no enviromental hippy by any means, but the cats pro's out weigh the cons. Even if it was just for the stinky car/clothes benefit.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

OK, can you guys get back on subject?
The question that needs to be answered is, would there be a REASONABLE chance of getting caught, driving a cat-less car on the streets of california? (Not counting other illegal activities, ie racing, speeding, running stop lights etc)
Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

why risk it. the cost of two 70 dollar cats vs huge fines?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ping King
it still doesnt mean that you should go about polluting the atmosphere if you dont need to. Tread lightly. Im no enviromental hippy by any means, but the cats pro's out weigh the cons. Even if it was just for the stinky car/clothes benefit.
I think you should know what hurts the environment before you say what you should do to "help" it, I'm not trying to be a dick about it or anything but what hurts the environment is not you and me its huge global conglomerates dumping there toxic waste into our oceans and there factory's pumping out this toxic **** into our air.

What cars produce is actually good for tree's. I'm pretty rusty on this topic but I still know a little bit, I used to be really into politics period. It has nothing to do with pollution, but everything to do with control, just think about it, why cant you move your cats? what does that have to do with emissions? Why does everything have to have a CARB number? This is really deep topic that I dont wanna even jump into right now.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCFormula
OK, can you guys get back on subject?
The question that needs to be answered is, would there be a REASONABLE chance of getting caught, driving a cat-less car on the streets of california? (Not counting other illegal activities, ie racing, speeding, running stop lights etc)
I've never heard it happen to any f-bodies but imports are a different story. I have heard of a guy getting pulled over for no turn signal tho once. I wouldn't be to afraid that happening.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
It has nothing to do with pollution, but everything to do with control, just think about it, why cant you move your cats? what does that have to do with emissions? Why does everything have to have a CARB number?
On that point I agree. And it's hard to argue with that pretty of a T/A
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brandotron
On that point I agree. And it's hard to argue with that pretty of a T/A
Thanks man! I do get alot of complement for my TA but now I just need to make it fast which I want to do so badly but its gonna be a while.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

why risk it. the cost of two 70 dollar cats vs huge fines?
OK, maybe you didn't read my first post but some of us on this board actually mod our cars and have to change the fuel we use to a form of gas that will clog cats pretty fast, not to mention the amount of oil that passes the low tension rings (we can go over what those are later) will just speed up the process.
So "two 70 dollar cats" turns into two 70 dollar cats PER WEEK!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCFormula
OK, maybe you didn't read my first post but some of us on this board actually mod our cars and have to change the fuel we use to a form of gas that will clog cats pretty fast, not to mention the amount of oil that passes the low tension rings (we can go over what those are later) will just speed up the process.
So "two 70 dollar cats" turns into two 70 dollar cats PER WEEK!

are you insinuating that i don't mod my car? my car makes enough power through cats.

you have to run leaded fuel to operate your car, yet you want to drive it on the street. use some common sense.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

use some common sense.

Can I get a real answer please?

My car is a street car, still has A/C and full power there pal. No gutted/caged/tin can junk here.

Quick Reply: CATS OR NO CATS!! in california!!