Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Getting duals done...have a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting duals done...have a question

Hey guys/gals. I'm getting some true duals fabbed up by a very reputable exhaust shop. I had true duals already on the car, but they sucked. Big time. So much in fact, that they destroyed my 02 sensors. (I had huge exhaust leaks at the header collector) I plan on putting new o2 sensors after my exhuast is done. However, my car is not tuned, and I don't want to risk putting in new o2 sensors and having them go bad too.

So...what do you guys think?

Can I put in the new o2 sensors after the new exhaust is put on? Remember, my car isn't tuned.

Or should I have the car tuned first and then put in the new 02 sensors? Money is tight, so if I DONT HAVE TO do this I would prefer not to.

Please let me know what you think I should do and why?

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it!

p.s: MODS I know this section gets more attention than the maintenance and repair section so I tought I'd post here. if there is a problem please move my thread. thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

should be fine without a tune
Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Should be okay depending on how far off ur tune is of course. No one can tell for sure. How much is the TD setup costing u if u don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

pmed you
Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

any exhaust leak before your o2 is going to throw off the sensor readings....if i were you id buy a new set of o2 sensors, then replace them after the shop does the new exhaust.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Should be okay depending on how far off ur tune is of course. No one can tell for sure. How much is the TD setup costing u if u don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me.
Thanks for the advice man. I don't think the tune is off by that much. The setup is costing me 850 bucks. But it is getting done right, and with one chamber flows.

p.s: I remember you and I got our LS1's at about the same time. lol I had a different user title back then. I remember seeing you post your new ws6 and then a bit later I got my SS. Just a little bit of history.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1320 killer
pmed you
PM replied to. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
any exhaust leak before your o2 is going to throw off the sensor readings....if i were you id buy a new set of o2 sensors, then replace them after the shop does the new exhaust.

That's what I figured. Just trying to be precautious, o2 sensors are kind of expensive. Will SP motorsports be out for tuning this Thurs? Maybe they can help out my AF ratio.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

actually rob is gonna be busy on thursdays for the next 3 months...but i will be making it out to the track at least twice a month for tuning.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1 ACE
Thanks for the advice man. I don't think the tune is off by that much. The setup is costing me 850 bucks. But it is getting done right, and with one chamber flows.

p.s: I remember you and I got our LS1's at about the same time. lol I had a different user title back then. I remember seeing you post your new ws6 and then a bit later I got my SS. Just a little bit of history.
Chill chill... be sure to post pics when ur done (ground clearance pic plz!) I love my duals but know I couldn't throw strano springs on it as it sits. My 3.5" of ground clearance juuuuuust cuts it right now but dam they perform how an exhaust setup should and the sound... oh yah .
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any info on the shop and price? shoot me a pm?

thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I'll make sure to take some pics of the ground clearance and post them up. Can't wait for my new duals!

DaGeneral, you have a PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaGeneral
Any info on the shop and price? shoot me a pm?

thanks
I have some pics of a dual 3in that I did on a lowered Z28 with a 3.5 in drive shaft if you want pics and stuff. PM me.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not that knowledgeable, but in your first post, you alluded to your TDs ******* up you O2 sensors, correct? And you mentioned this was after the collectors, right? If so, you must be talking about your rear O2s??? If that's the case, how does that have anything to do with your "tune"?

Also, O2s are sensors not tampons, they don't "foul up" and can never be recovered.

I'm only asking so we get a better picture of what you're looking for.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I'm not that knowledgeable, but in your first post, you alluded to your TDs ******* up you O2 sensors, correct? And you mentioned this was after the collectors, right? If so, you must be talking about your rear O2s??? If that's the case, how does that have anything to do with your "tune"?

Also, O2s are sensors not tampons, they don't "foul up" and can never be recovered.

I'm only asking so we get a better picture of what you're looking for.
Yes, I do think that my duals fucked up my o2 sensors. They're actually the o2s before the collectors. I no longer have the ones in the rear.

After the collector I had a huge exhaust leak. The collector was connected to the x pipe via a crappy stainless clamp. It created a huge exhaust leak on each collector. It is my reasoning that this exhaust leak created a rich condition and ruined the front 02s. Does that make any sense?

I've never had my car tuned. So I wanted to know if it would be ok to replace the 02s with new ones after my exhaust has been redone. An exhaust system with no exhaust leaks. Or if it would be recommended that I get a tune and then put in the new 02s.

What do you think? Also, thanks for your reply.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I picked up the car from the shop today. The duals are amazing! The work is definitely top notch. Although, I miss the sound of my sweet thunder bullets. The one chamber flows have nothing on em'! Still sounds good.

I'll post up pics. later.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Some folks wanted to see some pics of the finished product. So I took some with my phone. Not the best of pics, but they'll do.

The black bar is the sfc. You can't even see the pipes!

That bump on the right under the car are the flanges. The lowest point on the exhaust.

This is a shot from the front of the car.

I love my exhaust. More importantly, it has made my car enjoyble to drive once again.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

damn nice clearance. if you dont mind me asking... pm me w; the shop info. and price.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Launching!

You should see some of the work that comes out of CMS for Duals.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

The rich condition is more likely from the long tubes and that your front o2's aren't in the cat anymore, they dont come up to temp until your off idle

Quick Reply: Getting duals done...have a question