Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Rev matching/ Heel-Toeing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont do it u might blow the weld on ur intake !!!!

haha
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
double clutching = lame and pointless. heel toing and rev matching = saves bearings, gears and means more control.
Doesn't the double clutch and rev match go hand in hand? Both are used in a heel to downshift. I always thought it was: Brake with the ball of youru foot and clutch in, nuetral clutch out, blip throttle with heel, clutch in shift to lower gear clutch out.

My uncle made me learn the double clutch/rev match so I could drive his old 70's Chevy Truck. He says it helps tranny last longer and is very useful in situations where you don't want to disrupt the vehilce's attitutude.

And it is very difficult to heel toe in an F-body.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can heel and toe pretty good in my camaro. The pedals are spaced pretty good for my feet. I guess double clutching would help save the syncros maybe 40 years ago... don't think race car drivers are doing that today.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gatman01
Doesn't the double clutch and rev match go hand in hand? Both are used in a heel to downshift. I always thought it was: Brake with the ball of youru foot and clutch in, nuetral clutch out, blip throttle with heel, clutch in shift to lower gear clutch out.

My uncle made me learn the double clutch/rev match so I could drive his old 70's Chevy Truck. He says it helps tranny last longer and is very useful in situations where you don't want to disrupt the vehilce's attitutude.

On an F-Body you can still do it, heel on brake and toe on gas.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
That's what I do. Only when I do a long burnout.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gatman01

Well i think double clutching is pointless. Just leave the clutch in and switch to lower gear. But the 1st owner of my car put aftermarket pedals on and the gas has a little lip on it so all i have to do is shift my foot over and i can hit the gas.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Double clutching is for one situtation only: Bad syncros. Not really a normal driving thing unless you have an unsyncronized tranny. If you don't rev match to downshift you're probably a nub. Heel-toe is hard on some cars, depends on the pedal spacing. I find it pretty easy on the f-body, idk why others have trouble with it.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was easy to do in my stratus, but my feet have no room (size 13 1/2 shoe) honestly have to take off my dressy shoes to even drive
Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
Well i think double clutching is pointless. Just leave the clutch in and switch to lower gear. But the 1st owner of my car put aftermarket pedals on and the gas has a little lip on it so all i have to do is shift my foot over and i can hit the gas.
Double clutching is not manditory. It's just how learned to drive so I don't even think about it. To Rev match, just blip throttle to get your rpms up before you engage in the lower gear. If you're doing a a heel toe, your doing the same thing as a rev match except you are applying brakes at the same time. Now are you asking how the techniques are done or good practice exercises for them?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Launching!

I rev-match and heel-toe all the time. There are still enthusiasts out there that DONT do that?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
LOL!!! that would be the *** backwards way to heel-toe but whatever works for ya.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pakisho
I rev-match and heel-toe all the time. There are still enthusiasts out there that DONT do that?
Yea! a few people i talked to dont even know what it is, thats why i started this thread to see if i was the only one around here that did it, I feel better knowing that there is.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Launching!

The first thing that brought this to my mind was that when some of the guys did runs from a roll their front end would dip and slow way down when they downshifted and ide be like..WTF?! why are they hitting the brake so hard?...lol
Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

I rev match regularly. Hardly even remember i'm doing it no. It keep everything smooth, that's why i do it.

Heel/Toe is more infrequent but i do ever now and then just to keep the "skills" alive. I actually can't "Heel/Toe" though, feet are too big. So i've had to adapt and blip the throttle with the side of my foot. Works just fine though.

Quick Reply: Rev matching/ Heel-Toeing