Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Smog Sniffers are out, BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha there is no EL, so it must be an SL...or a CL. convertible?

theres so many stories about what they are, im opinion is that they are bad news, dont care if they are just survey....they are surveying SOMETHING, and it cant be good for us NON-TREE-HUGGERS.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
AFAIK you're not required to comply with roadside smog testing, you can't be ticketed or arrested for not wanting your car smogged on your own time.
Last time I asked (about 6 months ago), those are only to be administered by CHP. I asked one of them and he stated that they can have any vehicle of their choice to submit to the roadside smog check.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in somewhat related news, I seen a CHP officer this morning on the East bound 210 between sunland and lowe, standing outside of his car holding something that resembled a video camera, pointing it at on coming traffic (hill and curve).

I read something a few months ago that the CHP was going to be testing a new system on the 118 & 210 that consisted of a video or photo laser radar, I wonder if this is it? effing bastards. If the CHP can pace me, and I am not paying attention to my rear view mirror then I kind of deserve the ticket, but to be hiding & waiting after a hill and curve...just blows.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I hate the 5 0, but I'll let her pull me over...
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fast01z28
i was thinking of a way i could do that in my a4 car. i guess if its just survey for now itll be cool, and i still have cats anyways. thatll all change in a couple of weeks.
Dave,
Just throw it in neutral and turn the **** off, then coast, and fire it back up and put it in "D"...
I did that many times in the ol' Cam cam....

Btw.. I had to go to BEL to find some shister to cut my cats off last time.... Unless Mike is up to it????

peace.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
I hate the 5 0, but I'll let her pull me over...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TMorgan800
Dave,
Just throw it in neutral and turn the **** off, then coast, and fire it back up and put it in "D"...

Btw.. I had to go to BEL to find some shister to cut my cats off last time.... Unless Mike is up to it????

peace.
Doesn't turning your car off basically lock your steering wheel in place? What if something jumps in front of you suddenly? Isn't it kind of risky?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

No, taking the key out of the ignition will lock your steering wheel, and even then you still have some motion before it locks.

In anycase, swerving like a mad man isnt usually the best thing to do if something jumps out in front of you. I'd hit the brakes first.

and lastly, since these are only(i think) on the freeways and on ramps, the road is almost 100% of the time going to be straight and clear of objects darting in front of you.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I've heard that its not good to put your automatic transmission in Neutral while driving. Now I know doing this for the reason above isn't for extended periods of time, but I often read where guys like to do this with automatics (trying to save gas or whatever).
It increases braking distance (due to lack of engine braking and something about the pump or lubrication not working when in Neutral.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or you could be entering the freeway on a 270 degree (cloverleaf) on-ramp....
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sic lt1
If they look anything like this

than from my understanding there is no problem, they are strictly for survey purposes. You only have to worry when you see the actual smog dyno sitting in the street.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TMorgan800
Dave,

peace.
I dunno, they told me when i was there that they have a shop that they work with who wold do it for pretty cheap (they thought $40 or so). ill call tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

STupid commifornia
Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by m6ttop
I saw them setting one up and called the guy an *******!
lol, i remember that. I was like wtf is he yelling for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqtr_...eature=related
Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
in somewhat related news, I seen a CHP officer this morning on the East bound 210 between sunland and lowe, standing outside of his car holding something that resembled a video camera, pointing it at on coming traffic (hill and curve).

I read something a few months ago that the CHP was going to be testing a new system on the 118 & 210 that consisted of a video or photo laser radar, I wonder if this is it? effing bastards. If the CHP can pace me, and I am not paying attention to my rear view mirror then I kind of deserve the ticket, but to be hiding & waiting after a hill and curve...just blows.
HAHA I hope not! I saw the same thing on the 210 around sunland outside his car, on his trunk pointing this radar at m(but why outside the car?) and he got me on radar (or whatever it was) and ran to his car... I downshifted and outran him like a madman and got away.. But needless to say, it was quite the risky business
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV

No. All of it blows. Its retarded. if you REALLY think about it, we arent doing anything wrong, its just a way for the jew bastards to make money off of us.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
HAHA I hope not! I saw the same thing on the 210 around sunland outside his car, on his trunk pointing this radar at m(but why outside the car?) and he got me on radar (or whatever it was) and ran to his car... I downshifted and outran him like a madman and got away.. But needless to say, it was quite the risky business

Yeah, he was out of his car. Sounds dumb IMO because he's always going to have to jump in the car, unless they have another unit waiting downhill.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

park down the street, walk up on it with a full hoody on and cut all the ******* wires!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I was wondering what happened to these things. Back in 98-99 they were using this setup on the on-ramp to the N 405 fwy at roscoe blvd. I was always worried about these things taking effect because i had no smog epuipment. Also around the same time they were testing a portable smog station on mc bean parkway in valencia. Same white van but with a trailer that you pulled up on like a portable dyno and they would smog your car. One time on my way home from work they had a guy standing in the middle of the street and he was flaging me over to pull up on the trailer, he was with one other guy and no chp or police backing him up, so i just kept going. He was yelling as i went by but nothing happened. My car is so low that i wouldnt have gotten on the trailer anyway but i didnt want to deal with it. Personally i think its only a matter of time before they start trying to catch cars that are not running clean all the time, instead of running clean 1 day every 2 years
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

They had the portable Dyno on Northbound White Ave in La Verne today.

Quick Reply: Smog Sniffers are out, BEWARE!!!