Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Craiglist Scams

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Craiglist Scams

Beware these scams on craiglist. This one popped up today and is using photos from an ebay listing. You never know when your photos will be used to scam someone.

Craiglist:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/643320305.html

Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good find.. thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya there was a firehawk listed local for 4,000 with only like 7 thousand miles. They are everywhere.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

lol i feel stupid, i almost fell for when when i was buying my car! i was all excited and then boom i was sad
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
lol i feel stupid, i almost fell for when when i was buying my car! i was all excited and then boom i was sad
****, when I first started shopping around I found a Blackbird for less than $10k (forgot the exact price). I think it was on cars.com.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
****, when I first started shopping around I found a Blackbird for less than $10k (forgot the exact price). I think it was on cars.com.
Damn BlackBird??? Didn't they only make like 32 of those?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GinoLS1
Damn BlackBird??? Didn't they only make like 32 of those?
Yep, that one. I believe they made 50. This is when I first said "I'm buying a Firebird". Shopping around, I came across it, thought it was unbelievable but I had hope b/c I didn't know, listened to what the seller said, realized it was BS.

Some **** like "I'm in England, car's in storage, Western Union me X grand and I'll release it to you." That's when I said
Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah Scam like a ****! Too good to be true......im sure who ever owns a Blackbird probably will not let it go
Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Some **** like "I'm in England, car's in storage, Western Union me X grand and I'll release it to you." That's when I said
SAME THING happened to me with an Rx7. Said it had only 23,000 original miles, perfect exterior and interior for $10,500. KBB alone was $17,000ish at the time. I was like, um, no thanks bud.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

yea i was going to get a pewter firehawk with lik 40,000 miles and the guy had it listed for 6,500 and i was all excited at the time because i dident know its value then, it was bullshit he had the car in a different state blah blah blah
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
ya there was a firehawk listed local for 4,000 with only like 7 thousand miles. They are everywhere.
haha dude I wrote that guy an email and was like "are you seriously selling that car for 4200?? He responded asking for my addy and name and the whole email was horribly written, like his english was complete ****, so since I knew it was a scam I wrote an email in reply just to **** with him.

My first email:

Dude...you might want to edit your listing on craigslist...you have that Firehawk listed for only $4,200.00. Is that REALLY the price you are selling it for??

His reply:

Hello,
You made the right choice!My 1999 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk is in great shape, no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It is in a good condition, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has an V4 manual , 6,000 miles, clear title, a perfect car and the price is only $4,200 firm.. I`m a single mother with 2 children because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car,i don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap. We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety. I just need your full name and address so i can open a case. (with no further obligation or fees).Have a nice day!

P.S : Please don't forget to send your full name and shipping address if you are interested to buy.

And my final reply:

What? Are you serious? I didn't at any point mention I wanted to buy your car. If you want to scam people, you should avoid grammar errors in your emails. Here are a few suggestions since you seem to not speak English very well. Take these rules and teach both your kids, so they can speak English better than you.

1. There are TWO (2) spaces after the end of a sentence. You tend to only put 1 or even none at all.
2. There is ONE (1) space after a comma, you didn't put one on a couple occasions.
3. Always capitalize the letter "I" when using it to refer to yourself. This includes conjunctions. (I'm)
4. You describe the engine as having "an V4 manual." Not only is this grammatically incorrect, it also contains a multitude of things that are wrong (I'll get to the latter in a minute). Now pay attention here, and read slowly and carefully since you will surely have a hard time grasping this concept. When using the words "a" and "an", choose which one to use based on the word which follows it. If the following word starts with a consonant, you use "a". Some easy examples are "a car", "a boat", and "a mouse". If the following word starts with a vowel, you use "an". Again, some easy examples are "an elephant", "an apple", and "an igloo". Now, there are special cases, of course, such as "an hourglass". The word "hourglass" does, in fact, start with a consonant, however, because the word "hour" sounds like "Our", which starts with a vowel, you use "an" instead of "a". The same principal is applied in your case, where the following word is "V4". "V4" is not a word, but since the spelling of the letter "V" would be "Vee", "Vee" starts with a consonant (v) so you would use the word "a" and not "an" as you did. Learn to speak english or get out of the country.

Now that we've covered the majority of your grammatical errors, here are a few more tips that could help you scam someone else.

1. When you are selling (or in your case, pretending to sell) something on Craigslist, don't tell someone you need their address. If you are the seller, THEY come to YOU moron. What are you gonna do, ship the car to my house in a box??
2. Don't tell someone you are going to open a file. What kind of file are you opening?? Retard.
3. Again, when selling on Craigslist, don't say you are using Ebay's (not "eBay" as you put) protection plan. Ebay's protection plan is for EBAY you dumbass, not Craigslist. Did you go to school? Ever?
4. Finally, well, this isn't the last thing but your email is so full of errors that I'm getting bored (notice I capitalized the "I" in "I'm"). Let's talk about the details of the car a second. Again, you said is has "an V4 manual". That's wrong in a couple ways. First of all, V4 refers to an ENGINE, while manual refers to a TRANSMISSION. What you should have typed was "it has a V4 engine, with a manual transmission". That would make a lot more sense, and would allow you a better chance of pulling off this scam. Next, is that if your car is a Firehawk, it does not have a V4 engine. A firehawk has a 5.7 liter V8. What this means is that you should learn about your car, or any item you list, before you try to sell it.

Since you seem friendly, however, I'll give you my full address so I can purchase your car.

My address is:

123 Go **** Yourself Blvd.

Have a nice day.

On a side note, I'd like to add that my emails DO have two spaces after the end of each sentence, but for some reason when I copy and paste them here from hotmail they take out one of the spaces...just saying so I don't look retarded for makin fun of this guy for doing the same thing haha.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

i think you wasted ur time writing all that
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

wow man, sure seems like it took you a while to write that sh*t back to him, you ever thought about being a teacher?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
i think you wasted ur time writing all that
haha my g/f told me the same thing as I was writing it. I agree, but I've sold stuff on craigslist numerous times, and EVERY time I get emails from scammers and it's happened so many times that I just had to do it. Normally, I wouldn't bother of course, but after a while, I just got irritated. It was still fun tho
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever think that educating a scam artist is not a good thing?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Launching!

This was her email:

Hello,
You made the right choice!My Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ws6 1999 is in great shape, no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It is in a good condition, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has 5.7L V8 LS1. 3.0L ,65,000 miles, clear title, a perfect car and the price is only $4,500 firm.. I`m a single mother with 2 children because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car,i don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap. We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety. I just need your full name and address so i can open a case. (with no further obligation or fees).Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Lisa
My reply:

Hi Lisa,

That sounds great, consider the car sold.

My full name/address is :

Fah Que
69 Penile Blvd.
San Chez, CA 96666

Please let me know how to proceed.

Never heard back
Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

heh..well I'm pretty sure the person who put that car on craigslist is pretty intelligent, I mean to pull off a scam and get away with it would require some brains I would think, at least enough to know how to type and speak correctly ;-)
Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Launching!

eBay Buyer Protection Program - Verified Member: Lisa Lother
Dear Fah Que,

eBay confirms that you fully protected in the transaction with Lisa Lother . The eBay Buyer Protection Program covers buyers who complete a transaction on an eBay company website (eBay, Kijiji, Craigslist) for the following types of deliberate and material misrepresentation by the seller:
Sweet.

Quick Reply: Craiglist Scams