Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Nation strikes against gas prices!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have recieved this message twice today.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL not this crap again.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Teching In

I got this text and fwd'd to everyone. I won't buy gas on Friday cuz my m a r o aint runnin.

But I have to ask myself, wut difference would one day make?? If everyone is just going to buy gas the very next day anyways, or the day before, or every day for that matter.

I know this plan is silly, cuz @ the end of the day we need the gas and they know it. They'll always win.....
Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

This is Piontless!! Everyone will go fill up tomorrow. So now the oil companies will make their profits for Friday on Thursday!! One day doesn't work! Hell, even doing it for a couple of days probably won't work. Gonna go dig in my backyard now, maybe ill find some oil or atleast a few pennies!!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fail. like people have stated above, everyones just gonna get gas on may1st, and probably get more gas than they would normally. gas companies still get paid regardless. gonna take a lot more than a few boycotts to lower the gas prices.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.gasbuddy.com is all i have to say...
Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I got unlimited text messages !!
who doesnt now a days...and you guys dont think this will honestly work...than again gas is over 4$ a gallon..anything is worth a shot
Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Supply and demand. Demand? The only way we could make a difference would be to change our driving habits. Car pool, mass transit, ride a bike, walk, alternative fuels, electric vehicles. All of us would have to participate to make any dent in demand.
Boost supply? I don't see that happening. I think we have already passed peak production and it's heading downwards, and that's what's fueling the higher prices right now. What do you think is going to happen when the fuel starts to run out? Actually it started running out the day we started pulling it out of the ground.
The gas companys are in the business to make money, and they are going to get every dollar they can before their lively hood dries up. Anyway who are we to tell them how much they can charge? If we don't like their prices then we shouldn't buy their gas period. I don't like it and I'm in the same boat with everyone else, but I have to laugh everytime I fill my truck.
Our society revolves aroung our cars. Until we can change that, or what we propel them with the prices will continue to rise. IMO
Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Launching!

Alright... now prove to me this will make a single BIT of difference in the mean gas sales this week... o wait - you wouldn't be able to because that would be NONE. Ur either gonna buy gas the day before or the day after so what's the point? Maybe it's the effect of a united voice saying "Gas prices are bullshit" but the people that are saying that it hurts gas companies really have their heads up their asses.

edit: just read some of the responses... guess I'm not the only one
Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

I got gas Monday, so i don't have to buy gas anyway. but that **** doesnt work.

Bry's idea will work
Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Got the same text.

One word...Fail.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

I got it too but I changed the date when I forwarded it to everyone..... I put Feb. 31st...lol
Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by warp_6
Supply and demand. Demand? The only way we could make a difference would be to change our driving habits. Car pool, mass transit, ride a bike, walk, alternative fuels, electric vehicles. All of us would have to participate to make any dent in demand.
Boost supply? I don't see that happening. I think we have already passed peak production and it's heading downwards, and that's what's fueling the higher prices right now. What do you think is going to happen when the fuel starts to run out? Actually it started running out the day we started pulling it out of the ground.
The gas companys are in the business to make money, and they are going to get every dollar they can before their lively hood dries up. Anyway who are we to tell them how much they can charge? If we don't like their prices then we shouldn't buy their gas period. I don't like it and I'm in the same boat with everyone else, but I have to laugh everytime I fill my truck.
Our society revolves aroung our cars. Until we can change that, or what we propel them with the prices will continue to rise. IMO
Someone paid attention in econ class I agree 100%
Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkbltgoat
your dumb
eco modder wtf
Old 05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

when will people grow up and learn that the oil companies have us by the *****. theres nothing we can do about prices. why? well we as a society wont change, and thats what is needed. as whats been stated, one day of not buying wont hurt too much. yes, they do have to pay an attendant to be there which is a waste of money if nobody comes, but how much do they do anyways? most people pay with their cards and the attendant is becoming obsolete.

Now if we boycott certain companies LONG TERM then this might make an impact. say everyone boycotts shell gas. if this becomes wide spread then they will be forced to lower their prices or go out of business. this might then cause a temporary price war (like what they had in the 60s). even that wouldnt last long because as soon as they drop their prices people will return, and then itll get hiked again.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Warp 6 is correct, The only thing he forgot to take into account is China and our Dollar.

They are the second largest oil consumer in the world and their demand has been growing as more and more manufacturing and production shifts there.

The good news is the Dam they have been building is set to come online early next year which should reduce some of their dependancy on oil and hopefully reduce or curb their demand.

Also, due to the weakness in our dollar (exchange rate) makes goods more expensive for us as well, including oil.

Makes me sick though that pump prices are at an all time high while the oil companies boast record profits and are in the top ten most profitable companies in the world.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Also, we do change. Last summer when oil prices hit record highs (at that time) California reduced consumption by 3.7%. Now that might not sound like a lot, but it is proof of change.

Back in the 70's when the oil crisis hit it made way for the Japanese auto makers to get their foot in the door with their econo boxes and some people are again going that direction.

I could easily work from home a day or 2 a week and reduce my consumption by 20-40% not everyone has that luxury, but home offices, video conferencing etc... could reduce consumption quite a bit overall.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroker396

Makes me sick though that pump prices are at an all time high while the oil companies boast record profits and are in the top ten most profitable companies in the world.
yea, but they say that they take into account that their industry has a finite amount of goods. thats the lamest thing ive heard. My life is finite so i should be paid twice as much as i am paid now.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fast01z28
yea, but they say that they take into account that their industry has a finite amount of goods. thats the lamest thing ive heard. My life is finite so i should be paid twice as much as i am paid now.
Haha, Ya for Real

There is a ton of oil up in the Dakotas, but the extraction process was too costly when pump prices were still in the dollar range. They estimate the $4-5 will then make it a viable option. But I don't see them rushing to get to it, when they are making this kind of money.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Launching!

I believe we tried this before when gas was getting over $3 a gallon and it obviously didnt work too well!

I THINK A BETTER IDEA WOULD BE TO BOYCOTT THE MAJOR OIL COMPANIES STARTING WITH EXXON/MOBIL. EXXON/MOBIL CALCULATED THE LARGEST QUARTER PROFIT OF ANY COMPANY, IN ANY ECONOMY, EVER, IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD! AND THAT WAS LAST YEAR!

SO DONT BUY FROM EXXON/MOBIL!!