Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Smog Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Q

Quick question guys:

Are the only reason high flow cats dont pass smog in Cali cause of the visual, or will they fail the sniffer as well?

Got smog coming up in July and I got LT's and don't have the origional cats or stock manifolds.

Sorry for the smog question guys. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

My 98 sierra passed with a high flow cat. The guy was under there looking at my cat for a good 5 minutes and he looked like he wrote a part number down or something. He disapeared again then came back with my cert. Long story short my truck passed but i have stock exhaust manifolds on it, CAI, magnaflow cat, 3"piping and flowmaster
Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT + cats not in factory location = failed visual, no matter how well the cats work.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

I've been wondering the same thing myself and I found this government document explaining their stance on catalytic converters.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2007/amcat07/attach1.pdf

It seems that it's only a visual inspection that you would fail. Your hi-flow cats are there fulfilling the same purpose as the stock ones(unless you gut them). The reason it is illegal to switch out your stock cats and to move the placement of them is because your new setup has not been tested against state standards on how much carbon dioxide and other fumes your car model/engine should be releasing.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

every smog place i go has never checked the visual under the car on any of our cars! its weird how many people are having trouble just passing the visual!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Teching In

ae13291,
Thats what I was thinking. I origionaly got smogged when the car was completely stock two years ago and the guy just popped the hood and went to work without looking around.

Just wondering if I set up some high flows on there if it will still pass the sniffer. I lost my manifolds and cats in a move and now I'm here with LT's to dual exhaust and want to know if I'm completely f***ed, or if a little coin spent on a slip fit high flow cat set up could get me by.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

dont sweat it man, as long as u can pass the sniffer, and if the exahust is quiet enough they wont bother to check underneith! for mine, nobody has checked under the car, all they do is open the hood and check for the catylest sticker. but goodluck, if ur near by, maybe i can refer u to some shops that have done mine
Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

i always pass this shop on my way to work that has a big sign that says they won't charge you if you dont pass.. im going to go there when im due next year
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I passed the sniffer with pace longtube headers, high flow cats with 3" y pipe, and a slp loudmouth, most smog stations dont really care about the visual.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by test only
Dunno bout that one.
today you have revived a handful of old threads without adding anything of substance...are you just trying to get your post count up?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cpe21
today you have revived a handful of old threads without adding anything of substance...are you just trying to get your post count up?
Couldn't care less about count. Count doesn't apply by posting on the same thread. I can post on this thread 20 times and my count wouldn't go up.

It makes alot more sense to use the search button, and bump an old relevant thread, than to start another NEW thoughtless thread. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Couldn't care less about count. Count doesn't apply by posting on the same thread. I can post on this thread 20 times and my count wouldn't go up.

It makes alot more sense to use the search button, and bump an old relevant thread, than to start another NEW thoughtless thread. Thanks for the warm welcome.
i think you're in the business of proving my points. you bumped at least 3 old smog threads, but you didn't add a thing to any of the conversations. this is why i asked if you're trying to increase you post count - they were your first posts in those threads.

not sure what you meant by that last point...but no one needed you to bump an old thread. when most ppl need help and they search, they take in the information and then close the thread. you're saying that you searched, found relevant info (to you), and then bumped it so others that might possibly be curious about smog could enjoy your newly found info? you clearly are quite the philanthropist, but if we all did that, the front pages would always be clogged with old threads...probably best to just search and only bump if you have something to add - lol, not just something like "Dunno bout that one".

Last edited by cpe21; 09-11-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

hello, i am in the business of proving my own point.
but, i am not sure what you meant by that last point...
thanks, but i needed you to bump an old thread.
when most need help and they search, they take in all the information.
you're saying that you searched and found relevant info.
bumped it so others that might be curious and could enjoy your found info?
you are a philanthropist.
but if we all did that, the pages would always be clogged with threads...
probably best to just search and bump.
Dunno bout that one.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

i hope you enjoyed yourself - it must be nice just putting your hands over your ears and pretending others are saying what you want them to!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DARK98Z
I passed the sniffer with pace longtube headers, high flow cats with 3" y pipe, and a slp loudmouth, most smog stations dont really care about the visual.
Some stations do stress undercar visual, other do not. Its hit and miss. You gotta ask around if someone knows of a shop that can either help you out or point you in the right direction. I always pass, but I don't just drive up, point to your car and start talking. Gotta ask around, be friendly and ask for advice first.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some stations do stress undercar visual, other do not. Its hit and miss. You gotta ask around if someone knows of a shop that can either help you out or point you in the right direction. I always pass, but I don't just drive up, point to your car and start talking. Gotta ask around, be friendly and ask for advice first.
is that what you do, you just find a shop that does not do a visual? or do you know of a specific one that you go to every two years.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Launching!

When I smogged my Thirdgen, the only visual they did under the car was a quick peek to see that I HAD a cat. They didn't say anything about my high flow Magnaflow.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My TSP Y with hi-flo cats failed the sniffer

Quick Reply: Smog Q