Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

La Invasion 2009 ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am down positively down for AutoX and drag racing. However I don't know how it would be set up where someone could do 2 or 3 of the tracks in one day. I know I would change my suspension and tires between those events but don't think I would have the ability to carry everything with me from AZ and do the changes at the track. I didn't race this year because I took a car that I have listed for sale.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Launching!

For sure the TNT only Drag Racing...I would also possibly do auto-x and oval. Tho oval does sound a bit worrisome . I dont mind high speed runs but doin it while turning and staying away from a wall gives me the heeby jeebies. I think it might be difficult to get the the 150 cars needed for the oval as well. Also the auto-x might be a bit tough to fill with this seemingly being a bit of a primarily GM muscle car event.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

I'm 100% down for next year. It sucked that i got stuck working this year.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
FormerVendor

I am looking at how it could be arrranged so that the events don't overlap.

The AutoX was being done by Toyota in the western parking lot of the Speedway during Super Chevy and I would likely follow suit.

As for the Oval, Not to often we get to drive our cars at high speed. I am thinking that Invasion would have to be opened up earlier to the Mustangs and Vipers.

I think if the flyers were distributed at Motor 4 toys in Dec. we could reach a lot of the corvettes and maybe open up the Oval portion to Exotics Ferraris, Lambos, Porches, Lotus etc... to make sure it fills up and be some nice eye candy at the same time.

I will be working on some local socal major Mfg this year to see if they can come on board and help grow the event.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure you know, but if you do the oval make sure people sign a waiver..I really can see someone taking a dumper. I have been around California Speedway many times in my car..There was a show in like 2004 that was held their, all show participants were able to drive their cars around behind a pace car(I was one of them). You might need to keep it under control that way...I think they told me to pace at like 80 or so..It might take some of the fun away though..I still had fun just going around I guess, Not to often you can say you drove around a NASCAR track
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevy619
LS1tech going international........
It is international
Lol canada
Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
FormerVendor

Hey I grew up 20 years in the Great White North, so take off Eh! ya Hoser
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Hell yeah autocross will be tight. where the cobalt could shine hahaha
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what would be cool instead of an oval is the standing mile. That way we can see how fast we can really get these cars going.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey marky mark, what ever happend to that video you took of us leaving the parking lot getting ready to go up the mnt?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM
FormerVendor

http://lvcfo.org/video/play.php?vid=125

I think this captures it even better. My video camera keep crapping out on me as I was trying to film the leaving, I might have some broken clips of it. Also I just had to convert everything from one laptop to another as I just started the new job Monday so I have still been very busy. I still have to get the Pictures of the car show winners up on the website.

Standing Mile??? Lets be realistic, where can I even find somewhere to do something like that?

I would love to get a skidpad for some donuts I mean lateral grip testing, but that is not easy to do.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Launching!

I went to a chrysler event a few months ago that used El Toro air force base...this **** was awesome...dunno about price but there were maybe 100 chryslers there....they set up a professionaly done quarter mile track with tree and everything you need, timslips included. (no large display for times but they were being anounced). A few hundred feet away they had a huge autocross set up. Cars were allowed to get in line to quarter mile or autocross whenever or however they pleased. After the autocross cones were removed people came out and started doing donuts, burnouts and drifts....it was like a freeforall that was great to watch. When I was there all I thought about was how perfect a setup like that would be for LA Invasion.
Just food for thought Mark.
Update: heres more info on it...http://www.socallx.com/SpeedFest/tabid/109/Default.aspx
looks like it was 110 per vehicle for both autox and dragracing....seems pretty neat to me. One thing that was kinda lame was that I think drag racing was single car so there was no lining up against buddies.

here some vid of the event I took so you can sorta see what I'm talking about
auto-x.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_BNp5wWsw
1/4 mile... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxe06do7ZvE

Last edited by Bigdeezs; 06-04-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

they did autocross at nellis AFB in las vegas, i was there, pretty cool, and they raced some f 16's
Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 AM
FormerVendor

Cool I will look into that. When I was being told that we might not get the track I did try searching for alternates including March Air force base and a few others.

We might have to provide the timing and such for the 1/4 but I think i can pull that off.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're looking for any ideas as far as the show goes I think you should announce the award winning cars on the MIC. I noticed you did the raffle and all. you had everyone's attention, but when it came to giving out the trophies you guys never announced it. Another idea is to get awards for 1,2nd and 3rd place for show. Oh and get the t/a on their own class. other than that you're right on the ball.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Keeping an eye out for this one! The only thing I missed was getting a t-shirt for this first event. Remember big guys want t-shirts too.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

mark - i thought you were standing there shooting us leaving? i was behind Dirty when he put it sideways? thats the video im talkin about
Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

If you are talking about the oval at CA Speedway are you talking about only the 2-mile D-shaped oval, or are you talking about the infield road course too? I want the road course for sure!!

What is the paved track in the Southwest corner of the parking lot? It looks like a go-cart track, or is it auto-x? That would be fun too.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

If you rent the Oval I am sure you have access to the whole thing.

Not that little paved track, There is a huge empty parking lot on the west side of it and they set up all the lil orange cones.

I watched some of the Scion lunch boxes (Xb??) run it, decent size course.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

It would be nice to have a dyno at the track. It could be a dyno & drag event all day.

Quick Reply: La Invasion 2009 ideas