Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is It Illegal for Performance Shops to Perform work on our Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of a catch 22 thing with referencing the bar analogy..I have heard of many lawsuits against bars for serving patrons that they know are drunk & then they drive & get in accidents or kill someone. It's a tough deal. But today, you can sue for anything & everything. I was thinking of suing my local mexican joint for making me fat because I am addicted to their food, What do you think? People have sued McDonalds for this very thing.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastz
True, I could understand if a vehicle was spewing black smoke all over the place but i dont think NOT having cats is going to kills any species or harm the whole universe.
ONE car without cats is not going to hurt anything. But you get a million people with thoughts like yours who illegally remove their cats, and now you have a problem.

I'm of the belief that it shouldnt matter whats under the hood, only what comes out the tailpipe. But the state, the EPA, and CARB dont make any money selling Exemption Orders for 50-state legal parts that way.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6_Suicide_Machine
I shoulda said that^^^
it was alot funnier than mine

but that would be some funny ****.
Cop: Why were you going 100 in a 50?
Me: Cuz Ryne Cunningham said my impalas a race car... VROOM VROOM!
Cop: Whos ryan Cunningham?
Me: Hand him a Business card then bone out. LOL
he'll catch up to u running! lmao j.p
Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

this thread is the same as when i think why does my speedometer say 200 mph if i cant even go over 65mph legally.

come on now
everyone knows that. kinda like smoke shops selling pipes and bongs for "special tobacco" lol
Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
he'll catch up to u running! lmao j.p
your gonna be in a world of hurt the day all that tq doesnt win you that race between us
Old 06-05-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

u gonna be running a big shot or what?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Banned

u gonna be running a big shot or what?
no sir..... hoping all those bolt ons, dyno tune, 3.73's, DR's and 3k TC will do the trick.

cant run the shot with so high miles on the motor.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

a 3k stall will really kill ur trans!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
ONE car without cats is not going to hurt anything. But you get a million people with thoughts like yours who illegally remove their cats, and now you have a problem.

I'm of the belief that it shouldnt matter whats under the hood, only what comes out the tailpipe. But the state, the EPA, and CARB dont make any money selling Exemption Orders for 50-state legal parts that way.
Sure, but the point is the EPA is tooooo strict on their regs. This isn't about 1person, or 10,000 people. This is about evasion of my privacy. This is about setting a rediculous speed limit like 65 for open highways, and then pulling us over when we speed. This is about why it's ok for cops to hide on the side walk, radar me, and give me a 300 dollar speeding ticket for going 2 mph over the limit.

It's about all the "little" things the government does to *** us. Don't you think that if the enviornment were in such a bad condition, they would put a stop to combustable motors all together? Or Nascar? Or Formula 1? Or Le Mans? Or every tractor trailor accross the US?

Muscle is a way of life, and I'm just tired of it's patrons getting their ***** busted over stupid ****. That's the point. And at the end of the day smog is smog, whether it's a lot or alittle. It's still gona make the sun hotter each year. EPA, DMV, CHP isn't doing anything to make the air I breathe so much better. But they are taking alot of fuken money out of my pocket.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned

a 3k stall will really kill ur trans!
well what do you suggest then? i wasn't gonna put the stall on till i got UR trans rebuilt.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z

I can actually pass smog without cats, and im sure millions of other people can too. Ive done a pre-test and Ive passed with flying colors. However, i cant pass visual. And i thought the point of smog was to reduce the smog levels? If that was the case, then it wouldnt matter what modifications you had on your car, be it having cats or no cats.... if you can pass the smog level test you should be good...but thats NOT the case. Its about regulating us, taking our money, and then the government, politicians, and the EPA can feel so high and mighty of themselves because they think they are actually doing something for the betterment of the universe. Like i said... black smoke spewing everywhere is one thing, im sure you couldnt pass the sniffer test like that...... passing the sniffer smog level test should be the only requirement, not all this other b/s that involves visual and codes and if your coolant lines are connected correctly or if you have a stock this and stock that.

Last edited by 1fastz; 06-05-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Preach on brothas.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

thats interesting. but the thing i wonder about is, how are they allowed to tint our windows black as night knowing its illegal?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
one of my last wishes if im dying of a disease is to tell every EPA ******* to go **** themselves.
lol... we just had a bunch of EPA ***** in here doin an audit at work...
Old 06-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Posi12Bolt
lol... we just had a bunch of EPA ***** in here doin an audit at work...
At work? May I ask what kind of business?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT Chevyboy
At work? May I ask what kind of business?
According to his profile he works as a Oil Boiler.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fastz
According to his profile he works as a Oil Boiler.
OIC. That's understandable. I used to work at an oil refinery. They spend A LOT of money to keep EPA happy. I thought maybe he meant an exhaust/smog shop.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT Chevyboy
Sure, but the point is the EPA is tooooo strict on their regs. This isn't about 1person, or 10,000 people. This is about evasion of my privacy. This is about setting a rediculous speed limit like 65 for open highways, and then pulling us over when we speed. This is about why it's ok for cops to hide on the side walk, radar me, and give me a 300 dollar speeding ticket for going 2 mph over the limit.

It's about all the "little" things the government does to *** us. Don't you think that if the enviornment were in such a bad condition, they would put a stop to combustable motors all together? Or Nascar? Or Formula 1? Or Le Mans? Or every tractor trailor accross the US?

Muscle is a way of life, and I'm just tired of it's patrons getting their ***** busted over stupid ****. That's the point. And at the end of the day smog is smog, whether it's a lot or alittle. It's still gona make the sun hotter each year. EPA, DMV, CHP isn't doing anything to make the air I breathe so much better. But they are taking alot of fuken money out of my pocket.
65 MPH is too slow??? Damn, how fast do you want to go?? I cruise at about 70 in my car, and I'm comfortable. At some speed (and I dont know how fast) you are going too fast to react to something in front of you. I do know at night anything faster than 45 MPH and you will hit something in front of you before you see it with your headlights.

About your second paragraph, there ARE people out there who think all forms of motorsports should be banned, and we should all be driving electric cars that are speed limited. Thankfully, there are people like you and me and the SEMA organization who fight back against these stupid people and sway the politicians towards our side. But its not an easy fight, especially with so many tree-huggers living in San Fran and Los Angeles.

Your third paragraph goes along with the second, the EPA and CARB come up with these stupid laws to justify their existance and get more funding. Again, there are people out there that think even removing one part of smog out of a million in our air is worth whatever cost it takes. I dont agree, but the law says our cars must have cats and all the smog stuff they came with, so I follow the law.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why do people insist on dis-abling/removing the Cats?
The Cats only use up 3 to 5 HP.....per Dyno Tests.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by highgear
Why do people insist on dis-abling/removing the Cats?
The Cats only use up 3 to 5 HP.....per Dyno Tests.
Dyno graphs please... since you have them available.

Quick Reply: Is It Illegal for Performance Shops to Perform work on our Cars?