Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

friggin cops... :fuming:
Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats seriously bull ****, well good job to you keeping your cool.

and ive never seen that type of lid before. but all parts that alter the performance of your car has to have a carb #/ i think all excluding the air filter
Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your letter needs some work but since you already sent it out, something is better than nothing.

I think you would have a more legitimate complaint if you refused to open your hood, especially given you had nothing to hide. It would have been interesting to see their next move and in their desperation to find out what you were hiding, they may have done something more inappropriate.

You may just have to take your lumps with this one unfortunately. I empathize with you and encourage you to pursue whatever steps you deem necessary. At the end of the day, they may have mistakenly pulled you over (check out the vehicle code to be sure your lights are legal), but you complied with their requests.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are 3 categories (sp.) for CA emissions equipment. Stock replacement, 50-state legal (CARB #), and off-road only. Lids fall into the stock replacement cat so they don't require a CARB #.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

And to clarify, YES, air intake systems are also restricted by CARB.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by intense3123
There are 3 categories (sp.) for CA emissions equipment. Stock replacement, 50-state legal (CARB #), and off-road only. Lids fall into the stock replacement cat so they don't require a CARB #.
yeah but that lid is not a factory replacement, it has deleted the air injection tube and intake silencer
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

yea both lid and lights were illegal.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Im not trying to sue or get something ridiculous out of this. Maybe have the ticket removed and expose SJPD's "fishing expedition".. Moreover, I was reviewing the ticket. and i found that he put an "H" under race.. I believe that indicates hispanic, correct me if im wrong. Interesting im not hispanic, but rather filipino. do i hear stereotypical/racial profiling? was it because i live in east san jose driving a camaro that im automatically hispanic? no offense to anyone.. for those not knowing, this area has a stereotypical atmosphere.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off, if im reading correctly, you were going 15 mph BELOW the speed limit, well thats reason alone to suspect a driver for something illegal. the light was just an excuse to pull you over and search the car, similar to front tint or exhaust too loud.

That lid looks nothing like anything ive seen before, but not just the lid, its the bottom part too...where those metal clips that hold the lid in place?

Sounds like strict cops that wanted to be dicks, but i dont see anything illegal about what they did.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Launching!

with the speed limit issue, i was driving behind some other vehicle going that speed. yea, through the few years going through threads, i found nothing like mine. there's a "texas-speed" stamp on the lower air box, but i wasnt able to find it on their site.
Originally Posted by fast01z28
First off, if im reading correctly, you were going 15 mph BELOW the speed limit, well thats reason alone to suspect a driver for something illegal. the light was just an excuse to pull you over and search the car, similar to front tint or exhaust too loud.

That lid looks nothing like anything ive seen before, but not just the lid, its the bottom part too...where those metal clips that hold the lid in place?

Sounds like strict cops that wanted to be dicks, but i dont see anything illegal about what they did.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lferdzl
Im not trying to sue or get something ridiculous out of this. Maybe have the ticket removed and expose SJPD's "fishing expedition".. Moreover, I was reviewing the ticket. and i found that he put an "H" under race.. I believe that indicates hispanic, correct me if im wrong. Interesting im not hispanic, but rather filipino. do i hear stereotypical/racial profiling? was it because i live in east san jose driving a camaro that im automatically hispanic? no offense to anyone.. for those not knowing, this area has a stereotypical atmosphere.
I don't think anyone was assuming you were going to sue for big money, but if they pulled you over for a legitimate reason (your tail lights), and wrote you a legitimate ticket for your lid, then what can you do? I'm not saying your tail lights are illegal, you should check the VC, otherwise the rest of your argument goes out the window.

I understand your frustration, if your taillights are legal, and he pulled you over for no good reason, then I would fight.

I don't think he profiled you, he profiled your car. As far as race, if your surname is Hispanic, what can you do? It's not like you're Black and he called you Korean.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That Silicone Valley area up there has plenty of money. Sue their *** off. Get some money for being hassled.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Thats right, sue them. Listen to Mr McDonalds.Just saying, he is probably the one who sued McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on his own lap. Its people like that who make the world like it is now with the stupid ****! Have a little pride man.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm filipino too, i've never driven through san jo though... looks like i better watch out.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

When are you guys going to learn if a cop asks you to pop your hood or search your car say NO. Of course if they ask and you say no and they look dont try and stop them. You can then fight anything they find in court. The cop will need to prove he had cause to search. This information has been given to me by two defence attouries that are customers of mine and on cop too.
If the cop has probeble cause they will do the looking without asking.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by petercln
When are you guys going to learn if a cop asks you to pop your hood or search your car say NO. Of course if they ask and you say no and they look dont try and stop them. You can then fight anything they find in court. The cop will need to prove he had cause to search. This information has been given to me by two defence attouries that are customers of mine and on cop too.
Yup your 100% right. I was told by reliable sources if you say NO to the search of your car when there is not probable cause and they search anyways, they cannot use anything they find against you in a court.

By driving under the posted speed limit and having clear lights does not give them a right to search your car. A rule of thumb, if they ask, say no... it means they have nothing on you. if they have probable cause they won't ask, they will just tell you they are going to search your car.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Yup your 100% right. I was told by reliable sources if you say NO to the search of your car when there is not probable cause and they search anyways, they cannot use anything they find against you in a court.

By driving under the posted speed limit and having clear lights does not give them a right to search your car. A rule of thumb, if they ask, say no... it means they have nothing on you. if they have probable cause they won't ask, they will just tell you they are going to search your car.
werd:
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by petercln
Good advice, but you should drop the defense attorneys and hang with the kids from the spelling bee.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Launching!

that rule of thumb makes so much sense now. Thanks for all the opinions and what not. when i mentioned profiling, i meant stereotypical/racial profiling. I know not necessarily me, but you have to understand this area is consumed by stereotypes, so thats why i said thats partly the reason i was pulled over when i hadn't done anything wrong. In all likely hood, im just gonna take care of it and file a complaint especially since this type of incident has already been reported.
Originally Posted by hlaalu

Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

yea dude it sucks. ive been in your position before, even worse. I was pulled over because my headlight was out. I was searched, my car was searched, more cop cars came, they searched, i had a flash light in my face for 30 minutes while a cop was trying to get me to admit i was on drugs. this whole thing dragged on for hours. it was a messed up scene and ofcourse i didnt do anything at the time before i was a scarred 17 year old kid.

Quick Reply: got pulled over today.. need some serious advice