Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

RIP scott kalitta

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP. You guys with the "what ifs" are over analyzing a freak accident. **** hindsights 20/20 and many races have taken place there without incident.There was no negligence here just a tragic accident.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

i was there on Saturday watching the race.. we couldn't believe what we saw .. we were seated right at the 1000ft mark, at the point where is motor let go.. it was so loud it shook the grandstands we were standing on.. after passing 1320 he just kept going and i know he wasn't going to stop.. there was a camera that was at the top end of the track that was over the sand pit that capture the hole thing..

i'm hearing that the camera guy could have lost his life too.. Scott hit the sand pit at over 200mph and skipped across it like a stone on water. the camera over the pit capture the complete thing and it showed it on the jumbo TV live.. it showed the car jumping tawards the camera and the video went out..

i ran down to the lower level of the stands and saw the black smoke from where the car went into the trees (which was on fire too).. i known then that we witnessed his death.. the car was stuck up in the trees and they had to get a backhoe to pull it down i heard..

R.I.P Scott...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM

I was at the track on Saturday also. If that wall at the end of the track was installed before this weekend, someone should look into the possibility it was installed to protect a camera boom
Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sercastiK
RIP. You guys with the "what ifs" are over analyzing a freak accident. **** hindsights 20/20 and many races have taken place there without incident.There was no negligence here just a tragic accident.

No disrespect, but I don't agree with the "what if" statement. That is like saying "I never wear my seatbelt and I have survived."

Even ask the drivers and they will tell you that the shut down area should have been longer.
I do agree with you 100% about the negligence issue. Scott knew he was putting his life in danger when he strapped into the car, the track did nothing intentionally to endanger him. I just hope the end result is that the track (and others) become safer for the drivers as a result of this. This is truly a sport where boundries are pushed every day, so we at least learn from these experiences.

In NASCAR, the HAHNS device became the standard after Dale Earnhardt was killed, a good example of an improvement after a horrible accident.

In any event, it is sad we are even having this discussion.....
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sercastiK
Hindsight has lead to many improvements, from aviation to racing.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Hindsight has lead to many improvements, from aviation to racing.
Very true.........
Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

soul tkr- thats a pretty good idea actually, and maybe if the walls were a little high so the chance of a car flipping over are slim... i like it. If scott was conscious i think he would have tried to do everything he could to slow the car down.. such as pin himself against the wall. rip scott
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

why dont they base their shut down area long enough if the car had no shoots to rely on.. and then use the shoots to simply slow the cars down at a quicker pace.

Quick Reply: RIP scott kalitta