Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Random Technology cats CARB legal???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random Technology cats CARB legal???

Looking at CARB legal cats and came upon Thunder Racing (a sponsor) who's site says that Random Tech catalytic converters meet EPA and California ARB requirements. I called Thunder Racing asking if the cats have a CARB number and they told me that they are not sure. They did give me a CARB number but told me that that was not the right cat for my car though. here's the link http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...vid=3&pcid=100
So my question is this: Do these cats (shown in the link) have a CARB number on 'em?? The cats on my car now are shot and needs to be replaced. I'd rather stay as legal as possible. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

no they are not. as I understand the vehicle code and smog regulations no aftermarket cat is legal for use on california vehicles using OBD-1 and OBD-2
Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, GM extended the warranty.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10yrs./120k miles.

If your cat is shot, I'd see what the dealer could do. Also, CA has a program which helps in the cost of repairing non-smog compliant vehicles. I don't know the details, but I used it about 10 yrs. ago and it helped significantly.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Random does make a C.A.R.B. certified cat for our ODBI model cars.
I have one on my 95 now and have gone through a referee station and was approved.
However that does not help you as your sig shows you to have a 98 and a 02 model.
There are no performance cats available for ODBII cars in California
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

yeah I wasnt sure about the obd-1 vehicles. as a note most of the aftermarket cats out there will pass the sniffer portion of the smog test, just not visual. and the wonderful reason for that is that our crooked state charges an arm and a leg to have things certified CARB approved.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
and the wonderful reason for that is that our crooked state charges an arm and a leg to have things certified CARB approved.

Yeah, don't get me started about the BS this state does, all about the $$ they can grab here, they could care less if the cars meet standards only have they got their money.

The Random tech cats will pass both visual inspection and emissions levels here.
However, I seem to get only about 2-3 years of service out of them then they start failing the NO tests.

Quick Reply: Random Technology cats CARB legal???