Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Protect your sound system, with smarts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Protect your sound system, with smarts!

Originally Posted by AutoBlog
One of the easiest ways to customize a car is to yank out that factory radio and stick in something with more snazzy looks and more jazzy sound. Unfortunately, thieves know how easily your new stereo can be yanked out.

There have been many variations on the concealment method of stereo protection through the years. One of the most popular being to hide the newer unit behind a nest of wires to fool would-be crooks into thinking someone had beaten them to the prize. But over at Instructables, there's a new twist to the trick.

The key to the hack is to conceal your upgraded stereo behind what looks like your car's OEM unit. There are step-by-step instructions showing you how its done, from mounting the old radio's faceplate on a removable fascia, to making the fakery look even more unappealing by halving a cassette tape for added realism. They used "Christmas With the Brady Bunch," which might work in a Geo Metro in December, but would be probably guarantee your G35 getting busted open in July.

[Source: Instructables via Gizmag]
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool idea.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bro needs that he has like 8 grand of stereo **** in his truck. althought u cant see it just the flipout.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
my bro needs that he has like 8 grand of stereo **** in his truck. althought u cant see it just the flipout.
I would try to find a stock unit at the junkyard and rip off the face and fab it up to look like its installed in front of the aftermarket stuff.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need something like that ..My AVIC-D3 is oh too noticeable with no side tint .. eh
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put in an alarm wired to a fog horn, the guy might get away but he will be without hearing, physical pain seems to be the only thing stopping people these days since jail isnt a very good deterant.

Quick Reply: Protect your sound system, with smarts!