Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

serious idle problem, help needed asap please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008 | 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The engine idles higher in neutral because there is no load on the engine. When you put it in drive and feel the car jump forward its because the engine is now transmitting power to the trans and trying to turn the driveshaft...in turn moving the car. If its in neutral its just spinning the torque convertor and not rying to spin the rest of the trans therefore having no load.on the engine because the trans is no longer giving the engine any resistance.

Hope that makes sense to you...kind of tough to explain.

Bsically your throttle is sticking, anything idle wise should throw a code. Check your throttle body and if it moves ok then id thow a new throttle cable on to be safe.
Old 07-24-2008 | 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Weird the same thing happened to my girls formula. I told her she was crazy and it wouldn't do it for me. I drove it around the block and it drove fine.
Old 07-24-2008 | 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brynnda
explain please, i understand no load in neutral but why would it want to idle higher in N than in D? i would think itd be the other way around?
When you go from N to D the trans creates more load on the engine so the RPM will drop reguardless if there is a problem or not. You just notice more of a difference when it wants to idle at 3k. It does sound like your cable is binding. It's been awhile since I've seen how the cable is attached to the LT1, but disconnect the cable from the throttle body only. Try to leave the bracket attached to the TB or manifold. Move the cable in & out it should feel pretty smooth. If not check to see if it's kinked (maybe that's whats up, "Kinked"I hear you bat from the other side of the plate now). I've also seen cable housings that open up or wear away, dirt and crap will get in there and cause them to bind. Good luck
Hey try not to let the trans load up like that. It's not good for them.

Last edited by warp_6; 07-24-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2008 | 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you guys so much! ill play with it on sunday, shes in hibernation for the weekend
Old 07-24-2008 | 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe some of the guys can take a look at it on sat for some favors from you r roommates

j/k
Old 07-24-2008 | 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
maybe some of the guys can take a look at it on sat for some favors from you r roommates

j/k

haha, im weird about who touches my car, NO one drives it but me, let alone tinkers under the hood
Old 07-24-2008 | 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brynnda
haha, im weird about who touches my car, NO one drives it but me, let alone tinkers under the hood
LOL thinkers.
Old 07-24-2008 | 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
LOL thinkers.

lol i didnt know what else to type, its ghey i know
Old 07-24-2008 | 11:51 PM
FormerVendor

Do you have the Torx drivers? take the IAC off and clean it. I remember mine was pretty cruded up after 80K. It is on the Pass side of the TB at the bottom. Try that. If the car is idling fine and then surges up on its own it is not the cable or the blades.

Maybe take off the TB and clean it as well, cause where the IAC goes in will be a mess as well.
Old 07-24-2008 | 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tinkerers? under her hood...
Old 07-24-2008 | 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stroker396
Do you have the Torx drivers? take the IAC off and clean it. I remember mine was pretty cruded up after 80K. It is on the Pass side of the TB at the bottom. Try that. If the car is idling fine and then surges up on its own it is not the cable or the blades.

Maybe take off the TB and clean it as well, cause where the IAC goes in will be a mess as well.
You must of missed the part where her car was at 5k after she threw it in neutral. Thats def no IAC problem buddy.