Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Update on my bro's stolen z28!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude i have an idea. leave the car out for a night, and leave the window down a little bit for bait, and a bunch of us will be hiding in your house staking out the place the whole night. then when someone comes to take it we all charge the mother fcker and one of us is bound to catch him
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or get shot.

People are crazy, your much better off using a camera or something if you choose to go that route. I just doubt much will come of it.

Id be very interested to see if the cops would even do anything if you were able to get a good picture of the perp.

Your best bet would just be to make sure you protect it. The fuel cut off is a great idea... anything that will stall them. Better alarm? Lowjack?

Good luck bro!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why are they only trying to steal his car and not yours?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
So cops still havent found it and we sort of gave up on it.... BUT...

today he bought himself a fully loaded t top 1999 firebird formula 6 speed (even has the tcs control) for 4000 cash from a dealership. It does have pretty high miles about 130K on it...
fully loaded with a cloth interior huh?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is what I have been thinking about doing...rewire your clutch switch (switch that prevents you from starting the car without the clutch pedal depressed) wires to a hidden spot of your choice. I was thinking of wiring it to my cigarette lighter so that I can't start the car unless I push in the cigarette lighter. But you could wire it up to a hidden switch in a undisclosed location of your choice.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats a good idea you should make that and sell it, you could probably make alot of money that way.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
thats a good idea you should make that and sell it, you could probably make alot of money that way.
It's absurdly simple. You could even just unclip if from the clutch pedal and hide it under the dash somewhere. Then you would just need to depress it with your hand and turn the key to start it. If you take a look at it under the dash, you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

I've alwasy wanted a secret push button start on my car but it seems like no one(knows how or) can do that
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I would set up some kind of crazy alarm system where it shuts off the fuel or something and maybe set up some cameras a the house. I doubt this dude has a gun or anything if he did he wouldnt have ran. Its probably some one you guys know. Congrats on the formula btw, JMHO but I would get a ws6 hood, T/A wing and lower it and OMFG it would look BAD ***
Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
It's absurdly simple. You could even just unclip if from the clutch pedal and hide it under the dash somewhere. Then you would just need to depress it with your hand and turn the key to start it. If you take a look at it under the dash, you'll see what I mean.
I just got one thing to say, Pet Rock
Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

this thing looks so mean
Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

When I had my Honda back in the days, I had a total Electrical Kill switch that I placed inside and under the Rear driver Wheel well, Then I had a Kill switch under the Dash and a Toggle Starter Switch. It took about 2 hours to do everything but It never got stolen after that. The Switch in the wheel well was enough to even stop me from starting the car a couple times.

The Clutch switch would be your best bet. Its hard enough to steal it without the correct key pill unless you have it bypassed. I know that a couple alarm systems you can programmed that you have to like for Ex: Flash your head lights twice, Then turn on ur hazards then press your brake then turn the key.

For you man there has to be someone that knows you guys or is constantly watching you guys.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

How did the car get stolen in the first place? Was VATs disabled?

I'm not saying that VATS is a super great security item, if someone wants your car they will get it. But this isn't high school kids taking a car out for joyriding that are bypassing the VATs system.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
How did the car get stolen in the first place? Was VATs disabled?

I'm not saying that VATS is a super great security item, if someone wants your car they will get it. But this isn't high school kids taking a car out for joyriding that are bypassing the VATs system.
This was my thought exactly, How can you pass that unless you do some research.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

There are tons of people that make security kill switches for cars, its nothing new.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Not so much a kill switch. But (correct me if I'm wrong) doesnt the BCM require a specific (1 of a dozen or so different values) resistance between C2 & D7?

If the incorrect value is placed between the two (or lack of any resistance) then the PCM prevent the car from starting?

Or does the VATS system only prevent the grounding of the fuel enable control and starter enable relay?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlaalu
dude i have an idea. leave the car out for a night, and leave the window down a little bit for bait, and a bunch of us will be hiding in your house staking out the place the whole night. then when someone comes to take it we all charge the mother fcker and one of us is bound to catch him
LOL, thanx bro... that would be cool.

But the car is insured since today, and he parks it on the main street only now...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Why are they only trying to steal his car and not yours?
cause mine is inside of the garage...

It would be stolen a long time ago, since it looks a lot better than the formula or camaro in person...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Not so much a kill switch. But (correct me if I'm wrong) doesnt the BCM require a specific (1 of a dozen or so different values) resistance between C2 & D7?

If the incorrect value is placed between the two (or lack of any resistance) then the PCM prevent the car from starting?

Or does the VATS system only prevent the grounding of the fuel enable control and starter enable relay?
Vats System/Components:

- Pellet in the ignition key (one of 15 different resistance values)
- Ignition key lock cylinder with sensing contacts allowing “reading” the resistance of the key pellet
- Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) that monitors the system (this function is embedded in the BCM [Body Control Module]). Modules are located under the RH side of the dashboard.
- Theft Deterrent Relay (TDR) - relay that is wired in the path between the ignition switch and the starter.

Normal Operation

When you insert the key and turn to ON[RUN], the SECURITY lamp will light during the bulb check. The TDM reads the resistance of the key pellet and compares that to what is stored in its memory. If the reading matches, the SECURITY lamp should go out after 4 or 5 seconds.

The TDM (or BCM) sends a ground to the TDR to allow the starter to crank when you turn to the START position. Simultaneously, it sends a signal to the computer to allow fuel to the injectors. Your engine is allowed to start.

Quick Reply: Update on my bro's stolen z28!!