Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need some advise

I bought an extended Warranty on my 2002 Trans Am WS6. I brought it back to the dealer about a month after I bought it with a noise coming from the rear end. The dealer had the car for a week, then tried to tell me that the rearend was fine (they never pulled the cover) and it needed a special additive that would cost me $200 on top of my deductable. I told them to screw off, and took my car out of their shop.

Now it's been 7 months and the rear end sounds much worse, and has fluid all over the passanger side of the diff, and axle tube. I brought it back to the dealer, and they are fighting me because I didn't let them change the fluid and add the additive last time I was there. After fighting with them they told me to drop the car off, and they would fix it.

They just called me and said that they test drove the car, and there does seem to be a rear end problem but they want the warranty company to send a representative out before they do any work on my car. In the last 3 months I added Hotchkis Springs, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Edelbrock adjustable panhard bar, and Spohn Control arms. I think they are trying to set me up, and get my claim rejected.

Any advise on what I should do?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you added gears I would be worried, but you didnt hurt that by adding suspension components. Why would you have to pay for the posi fluid? Isnt that why you buy a warranty?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Launching!

can you take it to another dealership? is it a gm warranty?

i had to go to a different dealership myself to get a bunch of warranty items fixed since the one i bought the car from suspected that i was abusing the car.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Default So the dealership called...

So the dealership just called and said that the Warranty Company said to call me and get my authorization to remove the cover for inspection. They said if they do not find anything wrong then I will need to pay for the labor & gear oil & additive. If they do find something wrong then it will be covered. After they inspect the rearend they must call the warranty company again with what they find.

I tried to go to another dealership but this inde[pendent warranty company will not allow it. I asked because the last time I went to this dealer for warranty work they asked why I was bringing a Pontiac to a Saturn dealer. Then they held my car there for over a week to change the water pump, and to tell me the rearend just needed the fluid changed and an additive added.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
If you added gears I would be worried, but you didnt hurt that by adding suspension components. Why would you have to pay for the posi fluid? Isnt that why you buy a warranty?
exactly...
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

damn stealerships... why am I not surprised...
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Launching!

damn bro...i paid a 100.00 for my rear when i broke it...i brought the car to them with 555r's out back and my noids in plain veiw....they didnt charge me a dime over deduct...that sounds like bullshit to me...
Old 08-29-2008, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Default So I went to the dealership....

So I showed up at the dealership yesterday afternoon to find out what is going on & to bring them the new Diff. Cover I bought. They said that the gears look good & the fluid looks good (of course it was only changed 7 months ago). They now want me to o.k. them to tear it apart to checkout the rest of the rearend. They say if they don't find anything I will now have to pay $400 for the labor.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
you should be ok, since nothing you did would lead to the the wear of the gears or posi.
I respectfully disagree, by changing the "springs", he probably "lowered" the vehicle, and that changed the pinion angle to the differential. Unless you have an adjustable torque arm (which I have), there is no way to correct the angle of the differential to the transmission via the drive shaft.

An incorrect pinion angle AT THE LEAST will cause the pinion seal to leak, and in the long run will ruin the differential gears.

JMHO

SteveC
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I had a similar problem with the SS Took it to a shop and they looked at everything with the cover off all was well Noise kept getting worse so i bought the 4:10 gears with the complete install kit from thunder racing during tear down found that one of the carrier barrings was pitting no more problems now and the 4:10s are great
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SteveC
I respectfully disagree, by changing the "springs", he probably "lowered" the vehicle, and that changed the pinion angle to the differential. Unless you have an adjustable torque arm (which I have), there is no way to correct the angle of the differential to the transmission via the drive shaft.

An incorrect pinion angle AT THE LEAST will cause the pinion seal to leak, and in the long run will ruin the differential gears.

JMHO

SteveC
steve thats a great point, and well written, although he said he just put those mods on the car, i think it would take much more mileage to harm any of the pinion bearings or the bearings in the back of the transmission.

having the dealer rip apart the diff to look for problems is going to get you knowwhere, and i am trying to figure out what additive they wanted you to put in, your diff requires no additive unless its a firehawk with the aubrun rear differential, but you obviously have a ws6 so thats bs.

find yourself a dealer who wants to work with you, dont just take it to the local dealer cause they are close, call and talk to some service managers around your city, tell them your situation, im sure one of them will be cool and help you out.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
steve thats a great point, and well written, although he said he just put those mods on the car, i think it would take much more mileage to harm any of the pinion bearings or the bearings in the back of the transmission.

having the dealer rip apart the diff to look for problems is going to get you knowwhere, and i am trying to figure out what additive they wanted you to put in, your diff requires no additive unless its a firehawk with the aubrun rear differential, but you obviously have a ws6 so thats bs.

find yourself a dealer who wants to work with you, dont just take it to the local dealer cause they are close, call and talk to some service managers around your city, tell them your situation, im sure one of them will be cool and help you out.
+1 some of these service managers are turds...call around man
Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Default The Warranty Company...

The Warranty Company will not let me take it to any other dealer. Trust me I have tried. I had such a bad taste after the first time with this dealer, I have begged the Warranty Company but they will not budge.

They are saying that there was a service bulletin that the limited slip in the corvette & f-body need an additive added to the gear oil.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Default Of course no phone call...

So I waited for the phone call from the dealership, but they didn't call. I called and was told that all the bearings are bad, and the passanger side axle is pitted and damaged. They said the Warranty Company wants them to find a used rear end to put in the car. The dealership wants to rebuild the one that is in the car. Now the Warranty comapny wants to come and look at the car again.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

jesus christ, some warranty company, thats just plain stupid if you ask me, find a used one, i mean if i was you thats what i would do, but i figure they would want it fixed the easiest way so that the dealership would be held accountable if anything was to happen again, whats the name of the warranty company just so we know what not to buy for anything in the future.

and as for the additive, ive never seen that bulletin as i dont think it exists, our rear posi's are torsen style which requires nothing but 75-90 syn oil, meaning they dont have clutches like many other posi's
Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can understand the warranty company and dealership's point-of-view. Not saying it's right, but you are asking them to search for a problem that may be minor right now and one that only you can identify.

You should bring the vehicle in with a blown rear, end of story. Let them **** with you then.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I can understand the warranty company and dealership's point-of-view. Not saying it's right, but you are asking them to search for a problem that may be minor right now and one that only you can identify.

You should bring the vehicle in with a blown rear, end of story. Let them **** with you then.
The problem is there is only 3,000 miles left on the warranty.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCal WS6
The problem is there is only 3,000 miles left on the warranty.
I'm sure someone has some mounted drag radials you can borrow to send that 10 bolt out on the right note.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

that really sucks ***** man!! i would just get a 12 bolt and cancel that warranty, so that way u dont have to go through all that b.s.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Default So it is still in the shop...

So it is now day 9 at the dealership. The rearend is apart, and the car is sitting on the rack. This is how it has gone so far:
Day 1 - Test drove & heard the noise.
Day 2 - Removed rear diff. cover
Day 3 - Removed the internals - all bearings are bad & axle is bad
Day 4 - Waiting on the Warranty Company to o.k. rebuild
Day 5 - Closed
Day 6 - Closed
Day 7 - Waiting on the Warranty Company to o.k. rebuild
Day 8 - Warranty Company goes to dealership to take pictures of damaged rearend parts.

Day 9 - Waiting for Warranty Company to o.k. rebuild.

Now the Warranty Company let me know that they wil only cover 5 days of car rental. I have had the car for 8 days already.

Quick Reply: Need some advise