Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Mesa, AZ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mesa, AZ?

Hey AZ members,

My girl interviewed at Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health today but didn't get the opportunity to check out the area because she had to fly home immediately after the interview was over. I was just wondering if I could get some input on the area or even on the school? Do you like the area, pros and cons? Boring, fun?

We're from Connecticut so it would be quite a move, but it's definitely one of her choices. Is it expensive to live around Mesa? Job opportunities?

And most importantly, how's the car scene???

Thanks for any info in advance!

Jim
Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Be prepaired for the heat..all I can say lol. Mesa is nice, but I honestly am not familar with cost of living up there.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mesa is nice, alot of it is new, there are alot of job opportunities especially if you have any kind of school behind you.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's good and bad areas of Mesa. Some are nicer than others. It's nice overall. I'm from NW Chicago burbs of Illinois and it's definately a lower cost of living as far as houses are less expensive. However, you tend to run a higher utility cost here because of the climate that tends to create more A/C usage during some months.

Otherwise, the weather is awesome most of the year. Plenty of stuff to do. Individually I don't feel like any ONE area has more to do than others. But you got all the major areas right here like Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe, Phoenix, Scottsdale so there's things to do all over dependant on what you are into. As far as the car scene, there's car heads everywhere. In fact, they just had a huge cruise, I was told like 40-50 total, like 20-30 cars, 10 bikes. There's gatherings all over.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

cost of living will be less then your used to in ct but not much less. I still think the east coast car scence is better however it runs all year long down here (dies off a little in the summer). As far as jobs go from what most people have put seems like mesa area is better for jobs then the west valley like glendale, but not sure cause i'm in the af so havent had to look for a job
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

yea you guys came down just in time for the fall... so this heat you feel now isnt bad.
Mesa has alot of opportunities if you got some schooling.
Car scene... your close to a great area for car shows.

BTW welcome to the valley of the sun
Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Life
yea you guys came down just in time for the fall... so this heat you feel now isnt bad.
Mesa has alot of opportunities if you got some schooling.
Car scene... your close to a great area for car shows.

BTW welcome to the valley of the sun
Well I actually didn't get to make the trip. I'm a little jealous because I've never been out west at all and I wanted to check it out. We get some heat here in the summer where it's 90-100 degrees for about 2 weeks straight, but nothing crazy. It's humid here too, probably different than out there.

And the move isn't set in stone yet, she's still gotta be accepted. I guess ASDOH is pretty damn competitive and the fact that she got an interview was surprising. We'll see what happens though.

I'm definitely willing to put up with the 115 degree summers over the 20 degree winters with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Thanks for the input! Anyone else with experience at the school?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

i was born in florida, then moved to az about 13 years ago... i do know one thing, i will never move back east... i will take dry heat over heat+humidity any day of the week.

this summer i think the hottest i saw was like 114?? other than the dead *** summer, weather is perfect.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS(AM
i was born in florida, then moved to az about 13 years ago... i do know one thing, i will never move back east... i will take dry heat over heat+humidity any day of the week.

this summer i think the hottest i saw was like 114?? other than the dead *** summer, weather is perfect.
Hottest I have ever seen here was 120, in mesa at least.

It's alright, there are good and bad parts of mesa.

And agreed, winters are beautiful here. Summers are pretty bad though, but just don't go outside and you will be fine

Quick Reply: Mesa, AZ?