Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Emissions help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Question Emissions help

Hey all, as some of you may know I recently sold my 98 TA. It has pacesetter LT's and a true dual exhaust made by CJ, and the dude who bought it was well aware of the emissions deal. He left me a voicemail today asking me what WE were going to do about getting it to pass emissions. He already signed for the title and I'm well aware that there is a law that says the buyer can go after the seller for emissions, which is fine, but I'm wondering what the options are, if any, besides installing some legal parts. I think its kinda shitty of him to ask me now when he even told me he could take care of it, but whatever. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

If he knew about the emissions deal when he bought the car then tell him to figure it out.
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:42 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
If he knew about the emissions deal when he bought the car then tell him to figure it out.
The buyer can play dumb and say he didn't know about non-smog legal parts on the car and go after the seller. Unless the seller disclosed the non-smog legal part on paper or sold the car as an off-road vehicle only and it was written on the bill of sale.

Best thing to do is find someone that will pass it for you and both of you pay.
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EkS
The buyer can play dumb and say he didn't know about non-smog legal parts on the car and go after the seller. Unless the seller disclosed the non-smog legal part on paper or sold the car as an off-road vehicle only and it was written on the bill of sale.

Best thing to do is find someone that will pass it for you and both of you pay.
exactly. I don't mind going half/half with the guy at all, just looking at my options. Anyone have factory cats and Y for sale?
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Isn't there an option to sell AS IS? I should know this cuz I recently sold an old S10 with it not passing smog but I forgot since it's been awhile. Recheck the paperwork that you sold the car with for this.
Old 10-01-2008 | 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Evaporate
Isn't there an option to sell AS IS? I should know this cuz I recently sold an old S10 with it not passing smog but I forgot since it's been awhile. Recheck the paperwork that you sold the car with for this.
I actually had it posted on here, but he saw my ad on craigslist, neither one of them if I remember actually stated "sold as is", and I know the ad on craigslist only mentioned that it had headers and custom exhaust. I'm just gonna look around the net for some used stuff and see what I can come up with. Can't imagine its too pricey for a factory exhaust setup.
Old 10-01-2008 | 11:13 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Evaporate
All USED cars sold by private parties are sold "AS IS" wether stated in your ad or not heck, you don't even have to say it to the buyer. BUT ALL emissions equipment must be in place and MUST pass smog. Only way you can get away with this is selling it as a parts car or an off-road vehicle.
Old 10-02-2008 | 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

bro, I have factory 98 manifolds, y with cats and the EGR off of mine.
Old 10-02-2008 | 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

In the future always make out a bill of sale which states "This car is sold AS-IS" and put something like "Seller is not liable for SMOG" or "Vehicle is sold as Off Road Vehicle".

I have been taken to court for this before, you present that bill of sale which the buyer signed to the judge and the case is dismissed.

In your situation though I would suggest talking to some members about a smog, it will be cheaper than buying the exhaust and you wont have to install it and take it to a shop.

Quick Reply: Emissions help