Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

blow head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy blow head gasket?

ok so there was a noise every time id hit the gas it was a loud as clicking. took it to a shop they told me it was the clutch. so i order tha ls7 clutch kit, new slave, new master all that bullshit. well...im sure u guessed it. IT WASNT THE CLUTCH. turns out the guy who installed my clutch says he think i have a broken head gasket. and he told me this (the picture below) is part of the problem. he also told me my drive shaft was twisted? i am a newb so i have no idea wat he was talking about, all i know is i need HELP. fast. can come up with any ideas on wat it could be?

as you can see that hose has cracked and disconnected from that metal peice watever it is.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

If you have a blown headgasket your car will be overheating and blowing white smoke out of the exhaust.

That clicking noise is probably an exhaust leak.

Where are you located?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

im in tha bay area in california. east bay. concord .
Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

You need a hose on that AIR fitting. Thats where your clicking noise is coming from?

Is your car overheating? leaking coolant? white smoke coming out of the exhaust? coolant in the oil?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

thats wat he told me. he said thats wat its coming from. no white smoke. no overheating i dont think. tha engine temp stays a little below 210. is that normal? he did say i had oil in the water? or sum **** like that.

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
You need a hose on that AIR fitting. Thats where your clicking noise is coming from?

Is your car overheating? leaking coolant? white smoke coming out of the exhaust? coolant in the oil?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yungepjr
thats wat he told me. he said thats wat its coming from. no white smoke. no overheating i dont think. tha engine temp stays a little below 210. is that normal? he did say i had oil in the water? or sum **** like that.
below 210 is normal. check your oil and see if it looks like there's water in it.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

he looked and said there was oil in my water. or water in my oil. 1 of those. i was 2 pissed off to remember
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

he looked and said there was oil in my water. or water in my oil. 1 of those. i was 2 pissed off to remember
Sounds like you need to learn how to work on your car and check the fluids...

So yeah, check the fluids yourself and get back to us... White smoke coming out of the exhaust is tell-tale of a blown head gasket, along with overheating and losing coolant...
Old 10-05-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, I wish you lived in denver we would set you right..

New CLutch, Drive Shaft twisted, sounds like the guy is giving you the run around to me.. A Mechanic should know what sound is coming from where.

FYI A Swisted Driveshaft, Not possible, as your car would be un driveable completely.

The pulseing your hearing is most likely an exhaust leak of some kind, possible, though I need to hear it myself... That pic is a pic of the Check valve for your AIR system, it's an emmission item. It's not a critical thing, but needs to be fixed.. The Check valve allows air to be blown only into the exhaust system, An Air pump blows fresh air into the exhaust system to help control emmissions on initial startup.. Run the engine, and place your hand above the silver check valve, rev up the motor using your hand on the throttle body, if you feel air coming out, the check valve failed and you need a new one, about 10 bucks.. Cut the Rubber Hose till there is no crack then re-attach the rubber tube to the check valve and clamp it down, you can use a zip tie. Should solve it.

If the noise is coming from somewhere else, have a car nut friend try to find it for you..

#2 If you had a blown head gasket, your car would do one of the following,
Have Coolant in the oil, or you would burn coolant out your exhaust system, under load and when the engine is hot.
it might blow white smoke.
(You would not get oil in the coolant.)
Your car would overheat from Lack of Coolant.

My guess it's an easy fix and this guy wants you to pay for more work..

Just FYI.. It's hard to have a head gasket issue with LS1's unless you spray No2, or have a blower (supercharger, turbo), or let the engine overheat.

Good luck..

Clint
Old 10-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need to replace the air injection check valve. As you can see in your photo the valve has failed and is letting exhaust back up through the air injection system that's why the valve is discolored.You also need to check the pump to make sure it is working.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

A blown head gasket wont make a clicking sound.....

if it was bad enough to make any kind of noise the car would be undriviable.

check your car for SES codes. (service engine soon) the light. and see what codes you're throwing. for sure you're throwing a check valve bank 1 code, but there might be something else too.

chances are the chirping is from some exhaust type gasket somewhere. is your car stock? Stock exhaust manifold gaskets, or paper? the paper ones tend to leak. one leaked on me and it made a chirping noise like a squeaking noise like a pulley.

maybe take a vid of the sound and post it up, we'll tell you most likely what the problem is. get the check valve fixed first, it's cheap and easy like my girlfriend.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Post video of the clicking noise

ok so heres the video. i hope yall can hear it pretty good there was hella noise outside. but thanks in advance for yall help. i appreciate ppl not being a dick about it. usually i get the ******** who jus tell me ima dumbass. but thanks. here we gooo

just click this and itll take you to the vid

(excusse the napkin. i jus got home from work so that **** was ****** hott ahaha)

any ideas???? the newb needs helppp
Old 10-05-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

sounds to blurry to use that vid for anything, but if your exhaust valve is broken off like that then hell yes it would make a tapping noise. take a pic of your coolant and a pic of the oil on the dip stick, i doubt anything is wrong with your engine, and as for your driveshaft? remove your car from that shop and take it to someone reputable... do this immediately you dont want that crook touching your car
Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

can i get that at like autozone? that exhaust valve or watever
Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

the guy actually had a SS. with rediculous power. so i beleived him and my other homie with tha SS goes to him too so i jus beleive them kuz i knoe for a fact my homie wouldnt jus screw me over.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

well a twisted drive shaft seems just ridiculous to me, and yes you can get one at autozone
Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

what a tool...ur oil will look like chocolate milk if theres water in it....seen a ton of them where i work...par for the course when they are budwieser built
Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

well yea it was my exhaust valve. thanks again . my boy said i can jus block it off and it should be fine n stop tha tapping noise is that true?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get blockoff plates and remove your air system
Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well yea it was my exhaust valve. thanks again . my boy said i can jus block it off and it should be fine n stop tha tapping noise is that true?
it will work but then you will get a check engine light. just buy a new bank 2 check valve and connect it to the hose and your set, dont let that guy **** you over

Quick Reply: blow head gasket?