What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Lowballers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found a ton of people are asking alot more then what the item is worth. Hell, I saw one guy asking $2000 for a LQ4 engine, when they can be had all day for $1000 in the same condition on car-part

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-04-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had numerous offers on my truck for 8 and 9k. I was only asking 15k for it.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

You start high I start low its barter system.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

I dont mind the lowballers, the thing that pisses me off is all the people who tell me they want whatever part(s) it is that I have for sale, agree on a price, then back out after I pull the parts, box them up and get a shipping quote for them. Either that or they just disappear and no longer reply to PMs.

Ive NEVER had to deal with so many flakes in my life.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
MASS seller approved

Some people want too much its used your not gonna get close to what you paid for it and if you get offened about low ball offers post do not pm me if you dont have the exact ammount

ps i almost never pay what someone is asking
Old 03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
I had numerous offers on my truck for 8 and 9k. I was only asking 15k for it.
Well 10k wasn't as low as some other at least right. But on this subject I don't get offened by the low offers I just politely tell them to keep looking and I'll keep it or sell it when I get a resonable one that I am willing to accept etc...
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by t-1
i ve had people buy stuff from me then turn around and try and sell it for more on here, just after they said it wasnt worth what they are now asking for it.
i have done that before and my opinion on that is if your not patient enough to hold out on your price dont bitch about someone else selling it for more
Old 03-04-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

used is used. the 50% rule applies. a good used part is worth half what a new one is. like someone else said, why buy used if you are really not saving anything??? I'll buy new before paying 75% of new for a used part. and some people want 90%+ of new prices. GET REAL! a used part has no warranty even if it was only bolted on. it's just not worth the risk without a substantial savings.

cams seem to be the worst. I see many people asking $300 for a used cam. you can normally buy a new custom gring anyway you want for $349-$379 from sponsors. a used cam is worth $200 + shipping. that's it. that's what I sold my last 2 for. and even had to sit on them for a couple of weeks to get that much. I normally ask a little more than I want expecting lower offers.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Launching!

i've personally gotten to the point that i just delete any low ball offer pm's i recieve..or if they post in my thread i flat out ignore them...i dont haggle when i set a price...i also dont mind sitting on parts until i get my asking price, its a trade off i suppose
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I dont mind the lowballers, the thing that pisses me off is all the people who tell me they want whatever part(s) it is that I have for sale, agree on a price, then back out after I pull the parts, box them up and get a shipping quote for them. Either that or they just disappear and no longer reply to PMs.

Ive NEVER had to deal with so many flakes in my life.

+1....................................Lowballing is the name of the game..unless you list it as "firm" or "no lowballing" game on..anyone with any sense marks up there price to compensate on what they are selling to make up the difference.. you cant tell me if you have bought a house before that you didnt make an offer instead of paying the asking price
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

why wouldnt i throw out a lowball offer if i have a chance to pay that much less for the item...
Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Default Lowballing

Your **** is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, otherwise keep it.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

If I have money for the car ill through it out there but if not I just say thanks and have a good one

Other than that I have learned first hand that it would have been better to have less than wait for more
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of this like a business transaction and not like such a personal deal. I used to deal in cars without a dealers license and only bought from the auto trader. I would get the first possible release and call 5 - 10 sellers and offer 20 - 40 % less than what they were asking. I would almost always get a car from someone from those calls. Some people just like a quick easy sale and don't like the transaction in the first place so a low offer means an easy right now sale. I would clean up the car over the weekend, float the title (keep it previous owners name) and re-list it in the local paper the next week @ 10% more than the previous owners asking price. Sometimes someone would call and make me a low ball offer based on my asking price and I would sell it but still make 10 - 25 % on my money in 1 week. Other times someone would show up and pay the asking price and I would make 50% + on my money. I made a lot of extra $ doing this. I've done this many times on LS1 Tech and corvette forum as well. If you don't like the offer don't accept it really simple.
IT'S JUST A BUSINESS TRANSACTION REGARDLESS IF ITS BETWEEN 2 PEOPLE OR AN INDIVIDUAL AND A BUSINESS. NOT PERSONAL.

Other times I pay full asking price if what I want doesn't show up for sale very often. When I bought my SW Z06 I paid full asking $ from an individual, (AT THE TIME I PAID 9k OVER LOAN VALUE, LOTS OF MODS BUT THEY ADD 0 TO A BANK VALUE) threw the cash in a duffle bag, got on a plane and flew 1/2 way across the country to buy it and drive it home. All depends on how valuable or rare the item is.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dude offered me $250 on a $1100 set of NIB pistons I was asking $550 for... I said no thanks. Recently, I offered a dude $250 on a set of used pistons with 80k on them. He was asking $500 and told me no thanks.... SOMEONE bought them for $400. More power too em but they weren't worth that to me!

It's part of business. The only time I got pissed off was with a dude who talked me down a hundred and then sent paypal for less that we agreed like it was no big deal. That is fawked up.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Hope that makes it feel better.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Man up nancy. It's called business.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Ex: Why would you buy from a private seller used Heads for $2400 if New they are Worth $2500 ????

Hell no I say if you don't want lowballers sell for a firm price. People want to save money on a used part that why they buy it used otherwise I belive everyone here would really love to order shiny brand new parts!!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Every time I try to sell something people want you to give it away, & when I try to buy something they think it's worth GOLD !! Go figure !!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
I will usually pay 50% of a parts cost if its used. But alot of people don't understand that they was full pop minus shipping since it was only on the car for 3K miles ect.

Sorry parts are only worth what other people will pay for them. Nothing more.
Same here !!50% is the going rate for used ****. Sometimes ,(well),Alot of times LOL you see someone trying to sell new iteams for what they paid! If thats the case?,,, Me myself,,ill just buy it new myself and dont have to worry about warrent issues or being burnt ! Sellers dont understand this at all ,if your not atleast knocking 10%off of a new iteam why should we buy it from you when we could pay the same with no issues like stated above? If you dont like the offer, Not a big deal!!LOL Just dont reply to it. Its really that easy!!Go to E Bay LOL if you dont like lowball offers

Quick Reply: Lowballers