What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1992 Camaro RS w/ LS1 and T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1992 Camaro RS w/ LS1 and T56

Finally got done remodeling my house and have some extra cash left over. I'm looking at getting a 1992 Camaro with an LS1 and T56.

Specs:

Drivetrain has 57k miles on it, also has hawks headers and cat'd y

Originally a v6 car and the chassis has 170 miles, little surface rust on the underside but nothing serious.

Suspension has adj. panhard bar, wonder bar, Eibach sportline sprints, Koni struts, LCAs and relocation brackets, and tubular A-arms.

Has 4th gen gas tank, torque arm, rear end. Tires aren't anything special but have good tread left.

Guages work, but has no heater and no AC.

He said he would take $6,500 for it. What do you guys think?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Wow! That seller is dreaming. I guess he expects to get all his mod money back. Who even knows if the LS1 is still running decent? Is it? I have a feeling those 57,000 miles are HARD miles. That car may be worth next to nothing. Nothing but a potential money pit anyway.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth something- someone already did all the hard work of getting the LS1 in the car and running. I differ in opinion- the LS motors are pretty damn durable- even if they were hard on it it's only 50K miles...

You figure a clean 3rd gen is 4-5K, higher if it is an Iroc, Z or GTA- so how much will it cost you to buy a clean one that needs no body work and a motor swap? can you do the swap yourself?

I think 5K would be fair for this as long as you are not intimidated on chasing down a few gremlins. There was one on ebay not to long ago that was in nice shape, was setup for an LS motor but didn't come with the motor- I think it bid to 7K with no engine in it.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 1965GP
It's worth something- someone already did all the hard work of getting the LS1 in the car and running. I differ in opinion- the LS motors are pretty damn durable- even if they were hard on it it's only 50K miles...

You figure a clean 3rd gen is 4-5K, higher if it is an Iroc, Z or GTA- so how much will it cost you to buy a clean one that needs no body work and a motor swap? can you do the swap yourself?

I think 5K would be fair for this as long as you are not intimidated on chasing down a few gremlins. There was one on ebay not to long ago that was in nice shape, was setup for an LS motor but didn't come with the motor- I think it bid to 7K with no engine in it.
...and I am going to sincerely disagree with you. LS motors can not take abuse any more than other motor. I've personally seen air cooled Porsche engines (considered bullet proof) destroyed with 3,000 miles on them. Yes, 3,000 miles! If abused, any engine will be worthless. Would you really pay $5,000 for a '92 Camaro shell? I don't think so. I hope not. I responded to your question on your IROC. I have been around awhile and deal with many collectors, auctions, and fellow car club members. As a buyer, don't ever overprice or overvalue a car that you are personally attached to or just simply like. You have no idea how many young people (older folks are not immune either) who have fallen in love with just horrible cars that need thousands and thousands of dollars in work. They end up so far behind that they couldn't sell the car for 1/3 the money they put into it. It then becomes the albatross. It is way too easy to overpay for basically junk or what becomes a money pit. Extreme due diligence is needed and if the answers can not be found or unknown it always best to walk away. I asked you some tough questions about your IROC. You need to step back and answer them honestly or get a knowledgeble car guy to properly evaluate the condition.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the feeling NC01TA thinks the other guy is the OP, and the car is an RS. I have yet to see the car in person and haven't heard from the guy in two days. If the guy ever messages me back, I'll go look at the car but I know how a bolt on LS1 should feel so if it's a dog with oil black as night I'll walk away.

Last edited by Golf&GM; 07-22-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of your 'difficult' questions have been answered- I haven't seen this RS and I don't think you have either. The only one that said those miles were or could be hard miles was you.

The fact is we are looking at this project differently- I am looking at the leg work to make a LS motor fit and work in a 3rd gen- you are looking at as a basket case that is built with cheap parts. Neither of us have seen the car so we may both be right- or wrong.

I've been around the game a while myself and have a pretty hefty collection...just don't put it out there like you do.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
I get the feeling NC01TA thinks the other guy is the OP, and the car is an RS. I have yet to see the car in person and haven't heard from the guy in two days. If the guy ever messages me back, I'll go look at the car but I know how a bolt on LS1 should feel so if it's a dog with oil black as night I'll walk away.
Smart man. I hope it turns out well for you and that I am wrong. I am very skeptical of anything that smells of a 'project'.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 1965GP
All of your 'difficult' questions have been answered- I haven't seen this RS and I don't think you have either. The only one that said those miles were or could be hard miles was you.

The fact is we are looking at this project differently- I am looking at the leg work to make a LS motor fit and work in a 3rd gen- you are looking at as a basket case that is built with cheap parts. Neither of us have seen the car so we may both be right- or wrong.

I've been around the game a while myself and have a pretty hefty collection...just don't put it out there like you do.
Hey, you are right about not seeing the car. See my comment above to the OP.
By the way I am very proud of my collection and wish I could have more. Many owners love showing off their collections and projects. All you see at car shows and events are 'brag' books and documenatation. It is such a fun part of the car hobby. I'm surprised you don't want to share with the rest of us. I love cars and people's collections. I enjoyed hearing about your survivor IROC and the wonderful condition it apparently is in. There can't be many around. Do you own a '65 Grand Prix? I would love to hear about it and see it. I owned a '66 with a 421 many years ago. Another car I wish I never sold.

Quick Reply: 1992 Camaro RS w/ LS1 and T56