What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Need some advice on picking up SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some advice on picking up SS

I am looking into finally picking up a 4th gen SS. I'm looking for more of a project car. I found a 2000 SS that has a "new" motor and trans. I haven't seen the car in person yet, but he says after putting in the new motor, it won't start. He says it's in the alarm/security or some similar type of wiring issue. My brother and I are figuring a bad ground somewhere. The car is a couple hours away from me, but I don't mind making the drive. He's asking 4500 for the car. Is it worth going to check out? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Be careful! Nothing would be worse than a potential 'money pit' once you get the car home. Make sure that 'new' engine was built correctly and came with some type of warranty. For some reason, without knowing any facts about this, I have my doubts. Something seems odd about an owner getting a 'new' motor, it won't start, then wants to sell the car. Why not fix it after going through all that expense and time?? Sends up red flags.
If you feel comfortable with the engine purchase that was done and you feel certain that you can spot the needed repair(s) then certainly no harm in a little road trip. The $4,500 price can be whittled down for a non-running car. Don't negotiate until you get there and 'pick it apart' if it is even worth an offer. I'll repeat my first two words of the post, be careful!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^this x100, you do not wanna buy something with major issues, i agree if its a simple fix why doesnt he fix it and ask more for it, people will bs you up and down just to sell it for as much as they can
Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

i totally agree with you guys. thanks for the advice. im trying to not be so critical of the guy before i go look at the car in person and see what's really going on. he says there are 155k miles on the body, and 50k on the motor and transmission. he says that the wiring/no start issue is just too much for him to handle to see the project through. i guess i can understand that, but if its a simple relay or vats issue that can be remedied fairly cheaply and easily, i would love to get my hands on it. i'm not crossing my fingers on this car by any means.

i guess my question to you guys is how much is fair for a car like this? 4500 is not a bad price if everything is how he says. i am going to ask if he has receipts when i go look at the car and take it from there i suppose. anything special on these motors i could look at to see if what he says is legit?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I would offer him money based off the fact that the car does not run, which would not be 4500 for a 155k mile car. In my eyes, I would not pay more than 2500-3000 for the car because that I what I would be willing to pay for a roller in good condition. Just because he says he have a low mile motor in it, if it isn't running, it might as well not be there.

If you pay 4500, and it turns out the guy was telling the truth and you get it running with minimal time and money, you got a good deal. If you get the car and find out it is going to cost some $$ to fix, you get the raw end of the deal.

Selling a non running car is tough, and it takes a certain type of buyer (which doesn't come around often). I can guarantee you are the only, or one of few, legit buyers who has contacted him. Offer him 2500, and tell him in your eyes it is a roller. Tell him he can keep the motor for all you care - tell him you are interested in, and are offing money for, a rolling chassis, because that is all that it is right now. He will probably counter, and you can move up to 3000. If he still doesn't take it, tell him good luck with the sale and walk away. If you still see if for sale in a few weeks, call him and tell him your offer still stands. Waiting it out will give him time to see that buyers for non running cars are few, and far between.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

thanks man. i finally took the drive to see the car. i'm pretty sure im the only one to contact him seriously about the car. it's hard for me to see one of these cars in shape like that. i offered him 2 (pretty much just to lowball) because it's not running and some of the things are pretty rough on the car. the seats are trashed, needs tires, no head unit, not running, dents and scratches. overall, not a terrible deal on the car i guess. he countered with 3, and i said i would think about it. i assume he'll either get back to me in the next couple of days, or he wont.

honestly i would pay 3 for the car in the condition it's in right now, but the guy is just shady. i told him i was going to make the trip (3 hours) to look at the car, during the week after i got off work. he said ok. 2 hours into the trip he tells me he isnt going to be there and says the car would be unlocked by his brother for me to check out. of course i get there and the car is locked and nobody is around. sucky situation in my point of view.

im still looking around. i sent a couple pms about rollers on here for sale. theyre much farther away, but i dont mind if i can get a good deal and somebody that's going to be totally legit.

thanks for all the input and advice. i'll try to keep you all posted in my journey.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Shady?? Sounds like the car might not even be his. What kind of real owner blows off a potential buyer like he just did to you?? Who wants to bet that the title isn't available right now but he'll be sure to mail it out later??
Old 12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Teching In

He said it had a clean title in "his moms name". I figured he would have made sure somebody was there just in case I brought cash for it.