What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

'99 Chevy S-10 Xtreme - 6.0l Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question '99 Chevy S-10 Xtreme - 6.0l Swap

I have an opportunity to purchase a very nice 1999 Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck.

It has roughly 125,000 miles on the body and the original red paint (which still looks very nice). It was in one minor accident back in 2000 which did not cause any frame or significant damage (the front end was painted and air dam was replaced). That incident is on the vehicle history report. There was another wreck a few years ago that did not appear on the history report. It was also minor, but the truck struck the rear of another vehicle, and although the damage was minimal, it did extend from the hood, to the lights, grill, bumper, and air dam. All of that has been repaired though. The suspension has also been worked on, but I do not remember specifics. I know the front end used to be very loose, but now everything is tight again as if it was new.

The truck's only factory option is the Xtreme package. Everything else is standard. It's a regular cab, short bed truck. It is an LS model, so it did come standard with a few things such as A/C. If everything was still original, the book retail value would be about $3,500. However, it's not even close to stock anymore.

Looking at the exterior of the truck, it appears bone stock except for the wheels and tires. It has 17" all chrome wheels, which look very similar to the old school Cragar five spoke rims. I think the front has 8" wide regular street tires, and the rear has 11" wide ET Street radials.

Other mods include: a 6.0l truck engine (mileage unknown), tuned by Frost, mid-length custom headers with full exhaust, six speed manual transmission, better rear end (I don't remember exactly what it is, but I want to say it came from a GMC Jimmy and it includes a Detroit locker), leather bucket seats (also from a Jimmy, I think), an aftermarket stereo (name brand I don't remember), and I'm pretty sure it probably has another drive shaft. There are other mods I do not recall at the moment (radiator, electric fan maybe..?). But it is estimated that nearly ten grand went into it (not including time/labor).

The truck is very clean and looks like it came that way from the factory. All factory gauges work properly, including the OEM check engine light. Everything seems to have been integrated flawlessly. Even the hydraulics for the clutch worked with the OEM clutch pedal height and geometry. There are no known problems with the truck and no work that still needs to be completed.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by amsterdamn
I have an opportunity to purchase a very nice 1999 Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck.

It has roughly 125,000 miles on the body and the original red paint (which still looks very nice). It was in one minor accident back in 2000 which did not cause any frame or significant damage (the front end was painted and air dam was replaced). That incident is on the vehicle history report. There was another wreck a few years ago that did not appear on the history report. It was also minor, but the truck struck the rear of another vehicle, and although the damage was minimal, it did extend from the hood, to the lights, grill, bumper, and air dam. All of that has been repaired though. The suspension has also been worked on, but I do not remember specifics. I know the front end used to be very loose, but now everything is tight again as if it was new.

The truck's only factory option is the Xtreme package. Everything else is standard. It's a regular cab, short bed truck. It is an LS model, so it did come standard with a few things such as A/C. If everything was still original, the book retail value would be about $3,500. However, it's not even close to stock anymore.

Looking at the exterior of the truck, it appears bone stock except for the wheels and tires. It has 17" all chrome wheels, which look very similar to the old school Cragar five spoke rims. I think the front has 8" wide regular street tires, and the rear has 11" wide ET Street radials.

Other mods include: a 6.0l truck engine (mileage unknown), tuned by Frost, mid-length custom headers with full exhaust, six speed manual transmission, better rear end (I don't remember exactly what it is, but I want to say it came from a GMC Jimmy and it includes a Detroit locker), leather bucket seats (also from a Jimmy, I think), an aftermarket stereo (name brand I don't remember), and I'm pretty sure it probably has another drive shaft. There are other mods I do not recall at the moment (radiator, electric fan maybe..?). But it is estimated that nearly ten grand went into it (not including time/labor).

The truck is very clean and looks like it came that way from the factory. All factory gauges work properly, including the OEM check engine light. Everything seems to have been integrated flawlessly. Even the hydraulics for the clutch worked with the OEM clutch pedal height and geometry. There are no known problems with the truck and no work that still needs to be completed.
just curious, how hard was getting the ecu/wiring all done? and the t56 bolted in? just curious cuz its something iv always considered, but the wiring seemed like it would be a nightmare, and going to a carb didnt seem practical.

for what its worth, there was a local S10 with an xtreme kit on it and ls1 auto swap on craigs for 7500-7800

throw some pics up, i wouldnt mind just seeing it
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spectre86
just curious, how hard was getting the ecu/wiring all done? and the t56 bolted in? just curious cuz its something iv always considered, but the wiring seemed like it would be a nightmare, and going to a carb didnt seem practical.

for what its worth, there was a local S10 with an xtreme kit on it and ls1 auto swap on craigs for 7500-7800

throw some pics up, i wouldnt mind just seeing it
I was not involved with the installation process, so I am not aware of how everything went together exactly. I do know I was told everything integrated almost flawlessly, basically falling into place. Steve at TunedByFrost.com said this is one of the nicest swaps he's seen, because it came together so well. And he's seen a ton of swaps, so if he says it's nice, it's really friggin nice.

I've seen the truck before, a few months ago, and it is very nice. I took pictures, but they're a little out of date now. If I get home at a decent time tonight I'll post them. But I will not be able to get current pictures until this weekend.

Anyway, in my opinion it makes no sense at all to go to a carb setup. If you're old school and not comfortable with EFI, then I think a classic small block (or big block) Chevy engine is an okay way to go (it's definitely more affordable). But if you want modern technology, which includes good gas mileage and street-ability, then EFI is a no brainer. The wiring is not that bad, from what I've heard with other swaps. It's some work, for sure, but it's worth the effort. As far as the transmission, I think it just went right in, basically. I'm sure there was some modification, but it was minimal. Maybe a different cross member, some cutting, console adjustments... I don't really know. But talking to the owner, he made it sound like all the parts fit as if they were original factory parts.

I remember seeing a thread here on Tech, I think in the "Conversions & Hybrids" section maybe a couple years ago, of another 1999 Xtreme with an LS engine swap. I forget if it was an auto or manual trans, but you could try searching for that post. It's a long thread with a ton of information.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Teching In

I live in richmond va also i wanna see this truck sounds bad ***
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

I bought the truck and put pictures up here.