What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Worth it? 1998 Trans Am - 160k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Worth it? 1998 Trans Am - 160k miles.

Just wondering what this is worth. It's my neighbors car and i didnt know he was selling it until today when I found it on Craigslist. I have never talked to the guy but i see the car in his driveway everyday, and he barely drives it. From what I heard when he was out there showing his friends, it has an aftermarket muffler. I dont know if it is a M6 or A4 yet, and it looks pretty clean. He has it up for $5k.

I really have my heart set on a WS.6/M6, but if this is worth it, I might pick it up. I just don't know if I'll be disappointed and feel like I just settled because it was cheaper. Anyway, is 160k too much of a hassle? I work in a full service repair facility, so I would be able to take care of some things, I just don't wanna have to dump $1-2k in new parts.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the ad with pics:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2978450205.html
Old 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Well, it LOOKS like it's in good condition, but the more info you can provide to us based on your experience with it the better we can evaluate it. If it's as perfect as a 160k mile T/A can be, $5k isn't too awfully high, but it's still more than I paid for my mint 158k mile Z28.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

probably worth 4k imo
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Two reasons to pass on this one. #1 - Yes, you will have to put money into a 160,000 miles car. Doesn't matter how well maintained. #2 - Never settle! If you want a certain type car, get it. Settling for a car leads to regrets very quickly, sometimes just a few months after purchase.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't let the mileage scare you off, but I like NC01TA's comment about Never Settle! If you want an M6/WS6 then wait, but expect to probably pay more. If all's good with this one; interior, accessories, tires, tranny, ..,etc then it's not a bad price.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in December, I bought my pewter Trans AM. The seller started at about 8k. it is modded out pretty good. How ever.... I kept checking his post on here, and the price would drop about a grand every two weeks. I held out firm for an offer of 5k during the month he was trying to sell it. He had all kinds of hits..... but no one would pull through with it. So I kept offering my 5k. On the 26th of December he called me and told me he would take NO LESS THAN 6500.... I said.... 5K. I heard him take a deep breath and said....5500, thats it. So I bought it for 5500...NEVER SETTLE!!

As I read the craigslist ad, and look at the pics I notice some things.
1. The pics are from March and August of 2010. Why the old pics? How dose it look now?
2. The ad states " its all stock". Those 3" pipes sticking out the back, I have those, and they are not stock.
3. The heat extractors are either painted over, or replaced.
4. I might be wrong, but those wheels look like 16" to me. Might be a little larger tire making it look like that, or maybe the picture. And the driver side center caps look a little funny.
5. I ASSUME he took these pics with the car off, so is the power antenna broken?
These are things you COULD use to knock the price down a little, MAYBE. I like it, mines pewter. I am not trying to knock the car, or scare you away from it. Just trying to give you ammo to use in case you wanna try and get it a little cheaper. The car is not going to be perfect, MINES NOT. But its fun to fix things, and mod them up.

Last edited by zerogravity779; 04-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Worth it? 1998 Trans Am - 160k miles.