What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1986 Trans Am 7,234 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Trans Am 7,234 Miles

Hi guys I have a 1986 Trans Am, with about 7000 miles on it. It is original miles, the car still has the original tires. Always stored, very nice paint. This is an all option car, t-tops power, etc. This was the highest model and trim level until 87 brought out the GTA. We are looking to sell, but not sure of the market or price. Any input? We saw a few low mileage ones on Barrett Jackson sell in the 'teens. so maybe 15k? 13k? Any input is good input, thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 501 Likes on 361 Posts

If the car is running properly and doesn't need a lot of things to get it roadworthy again, like the a/c, all the fluids, etc... then your $15,000 is a very real possibility. I might even start out by asking more unless in a hurry to sell. You can always lower the price later or listen to reasonable offers. You can't expect top $$ if there are issues. When I bought my low mileage Aerocoupe recently I knocked quite a bit off the price because of problems that the owner failed to mention. He never used the a/c so it wasn't an issue for him. Well it was to me. A frozen locked up condenser and need for other things was obvious. It isn't cheap to fix. Fortunately he listened or else I would have walked, and he would still be trying to sell his car. You won't fool 'car people' so you honestly have to assess the car. Is your car truly Barrett Jackson material? This is important in order to price accurately and not be disappointed. A dealer in FL was having a heck of a time recently trying to sell a similar car like yours (crazy low mileage just like yours) for anything in the low teens. No takers so I am sure there were 'these issues'. It should have sold. If your car is perfect, you'll get that $15,000 and maybe more. Just be patient. Best of luck!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Wow great! I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in. The car currently has some of those quirks that you mentioned. The car is actually my fathers, and he is looking to sell. Therefore i will need to correct the silly issues to make it truly what it is, a time capsule. It is not Barret Jackson ready, but i think with some minor maintence it could be on that level. Thanks again for your input!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

I just sold my 91 z. had 12,000 miles. orig tires, 350 tpi hardtop with grey leather interior. completely mint with every option. It sold for 12,000.

Quick Reply: 1986 Trans Am 7,234 Miles