What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Wondering your opinion on the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering your opinion on the car

I have a chance to buy a 1998 Camaro SS. The paint looks great, and interior is great but the Im worried since the car body has around 160k on it. and the engine has around 100k on it. He is asking 9900 for it. The first question is what do you think this car is worth? Second, what should problems should I look for with this car? If you have any concerns let me know people. Im looking for something that could be used as a part time daily driver if needed. If i get the car I plan on changing out the 918 beehives and going to a double spring. Then down the road Ill put on either a Ls6 intake or if i can get deal on Fast intake/tb I will go that route. Also I plan on putting some TSP stg 2.5 5.3 heads and possible a new cam. I believe i would have to upgrade the injectors to maybe 36#. It dont know what it will do in the 1/4 or what the dyno, but it should be fun to drive.

Engine: New GM all aluminum LS-1 crate motor installed by dealer at 63,000 miles (M1 synthetic oil since) Fast Toys Ram Air, SLP Lid & Ported throttle body March 25% underdrive crank pulley Thunder Racing 227/224, .569/.563 114 Cam (hottest that will pass emissions) Comp 918 Springs & Titanium retainers Polyurethane motor mounts Ceramic coated long tube headers and custom 2.5" Y-pipe with cats QTP electronic exhaust cut-out (muffler bypass), Hooker 3" cat-back exhaust Xtreme Motorsports custom dyno tune (361 hp to wheels with unlocked converter equals 440 at engine) Runs 12.4 in the quarter at 110 mph on a 1.84 60' (Firebird)

Drivetrain: Professionally rebuilt automatic transmission (4 speed overdrive). Yank SS 3400/2.3 STR high stall lock-up torque converter. B&M transmission cooler Auburn Racer's differential (tight posi) 3.42 gears (best acceleration & highway compromise) Excellent chrome Z06 rims (17 x 9.5) Bridgestone RE750 tires 275/40R/17 (stock SS size) with lots of miles left

Chassis/Suspension (makes a huge difference): BMR strut tower brace BMR boxed & welded subframe connectors BMR tubular lower control arms BMR panhard rod Adjustable torque arm Bilstein shocks all around Stiffer springs & oversize anti-sway bars (factory SS pkg) with Polyurethane bushings Slotted and cross-drilled rotors with Hawk HPS pads & painted calipers Electronic line-lock

Interior: Excellent condition (see below) Factory option Monsoon CD stereo system Nice tan & perforated black custom leather interior SS floor mats T-tops with factory matching shade inserts All power options, Cold AC, everything works Recent window tint (perfect condition)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any pictures?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You basically have a 100k mile engine that is cam stall an boltons. From what you say it seems that the car is OK mechanically and cosmetically, however a 160k car body that is 14yrs old regardless of condition is not worth why he is asking. Just my .02

I would expect to pay $7500 MAX for that car that is a fair price too. I'm not a lowballer $5500 would be a lowball.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it should run better than the time you posted.

that right there would concern me.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM

Im using a notebook so I cant upload pictures of. I agree that the car should have ran faster than12.4 , that didnt ad up to me. Most peopleI see with a 60 like that end up in the 11s atleast. Thank you all for your great responses.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
You basically have a 100k mile engine that is cam stall an boltons. From what you say it seems that the car is OK mechanically and cosmetically, however a 160k car body that is 14yrs old regardless of condition is not worth why he is asking. Just my .02

I would expect to pay $7500 MAX for that car that is a fair price too. I'm not a lowballer $5500 would be a lowball.

Agreed. You can change everything on a car except for age and miles, and neither of them are in your favor at this point.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 528 Likes on 379 Posts

I'm also agreeing with BigBirdLS1. $7,500 would be absolute top $$$ and even then, a true gamble. Imagine having to throw a few grand into repairs on this high mileage beast. If you had to sell in a pinch within a year or two, the financial hit won't be 'light'. Sometimes you have to think along those lines. You don't want $10,000 into a car like this that you will have trouble selling for $6,000 next year when it has even higher miles and perhaps a problem or two. Good luck if you decide to pursue it.

Quick Reply: Wondering your opinion on the car