What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What are my 30th anniversary white OEM wheels worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my 30th anniversary white OEM wheels worth?

How much would I get for my white OEM 30th anniversary Z28 16" rims & tires? They have brand new Yokohama high performance all season tires on them, and are in very good condition with no curb rash. There are only a few deep scratches on them. They are freshly balanced and ready to go, and come with all 4 white center caps with the black plastic lug covers.

I've never come across a set for sale anywhere, and there is nothing on Ebay either. I don't expect they'll be worth a ton of money, but they are definitely rare for sure and should be worth a decent bit.

If pictures or more details like tire brand ect. would help, let me know. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 512 Likes on 370 Posts

I can't quite understand a description that states that something is in very good condition with only a few deep scratches. Which is it? Deep scratches indicate an average wheel at best that probably needs re-furbishing. If someone is lookiing for 'show quality' rims they will not be interested at a high price. People looking for these type rims probably want spares or 'like new' examples to replace their own, otherwise they would just send off and have their own rims refurbished at about $200 per wheel. The tires are actually a negative when selling special rims unless you find someone that is just looking for a full set of anything to replace the poor set they own currently. You may like Yokohama tires but not everyone does, especially if someone wants to keep their car original which is quite possible if looking for specialized rims. You are also adding weight and size for the shipping costs.
As you said, you are not looking for a fortune, so try selling the entire set 'as is' with the tires for about $800 which equates to $100 prices for each tire and rim. That could be a good deal for someone that likes the rims, doesn't mind the imperfections, and needs new rubber. Try $1,000 if you want (no harm in trying, right?) If no luck, then lower the price or separate the rims and tires for selling purposes. I know that if I damaged a unique rim real bad (beyond repair) I would not mind spending $200- $250 for just one replacement and another $200 for refurbishing. There may be someone looking right now that is in this situation since the wheels are indeed hard to come by. Again the tire might be a negative here. There are many avenues to try so you decide which way to go. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Launching!

I guess I should have been more in-depth with the description lol, all 4 wheels are in great condition, 1 of the wheels has 2 deep scrapes on one of the spokes from the original owner brushing against something. Other than that there is no curb rash or scratches really and all 4 wheels are perfectly straight. They are not show quality but a very nice set of hard to find wheels.

As far as the tires go I also should have mentioned, I always offer to either sell the wheels complete with the tires mounted, or dismount them and sell the rims separately. I leave it up to whatever the buyer prefers.

I would be extremely happy with $1,000, even $800. Ebay is definitely the place to sell wheels like this from my experience, while I haven't sold or seen these ever, I have sold 2 set's of OEM WS6 rims in about a 7-8 out of 10 condition with no center caps, and pulled $600-$700 from each set. The majority of buyers for wheels on the rare side don't know about the forums like our great one here They look everywhere for them and all they can turn up is on craigslist, retail, or ebay.

I will try your advice and list them for $1,000 on ebay with tires, and $650 without tires. If there are no bites, I'll lower the price. I just wanted a ballpark so I knew where to start, maybe if somebody has sold these wheels or saw what a set sold for in the past.

Thanks for the reply. If anyone else wants to kick in their .02 cents I appreciate it! Anything that will help me get these sold for the right price.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 512 Likes on 370 Posts

Now that I understand the condition better, I think you will get some inquiries at this price. 16" sizes certainly are not the 'in' thing right now but there are enough owners out there that will consider a spare set of nice rims, especially in that $600 price range you mention. I always think about getting a spare set of chrome 16" wheels for my T/A and I've bid about $400 for a decent set in the past. With yours being much more rare I'll be surprised if there is no interest. In the past two years I have had success selling a 'like new' set of Mercedes 15" rims (80's models) for $600 and set of 'like new' 60's T-bird hubcaps for $1,000. The buyers are definitely out there and have the $$ to buy a nice set. Again, best of luck with the sale.
** Just some added info for you (even though you have sold wheels yourself in the past as well) if you are wondering what to charge for shipping. The 4 Mercedes wheels (no tires) cost me $125 to ship from NC to AZ via UPS. That may help give you an estimate. That was about two years ago.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Launching!

Good to talk to another guy who buys and sells parts

Yeah generally it costs me around $100 to ship rims in boxes, if you go the cheap route with USPS it can be even cheaper sometimes. Fedex is usually my shipper of choice, I've tried em all and Fedex has shipped the last 3 sets I've sold for around $160 or less, and that was some super heavy 17" Impala SS wheels with big old BFG KDWS 255 tires on them too! No boxes, just bubble wrap and thick cardboard zip tied to the faces of each wheel with the tires deflated..

I've just never sold or come across these wheels for sale and definitely want to upgrade, I never keep any of my cars stock. I got $550 for my set of WS6 wheels, so if I can sell these puppies I can fund a new set for the 30th anniversary car and maybe get the MGW shifter I want as well
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Launching!

I sold mine for 150 bucks lol

Quick Reply: What are my 30th anniversary white OEM wheels worth?