What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 camaro ss vert

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 camaro ss vert

"2000 Camaro SS convertible, 80,000 miles, needs minor body work, runs great, triple black, new tires and rechromed original 17" wheels. Great project car! " - Direct CL quote

talked to the guy on the phone and he sent me some pictures. I couldn't id from the pics where the car needed body work or how its a project car. He says his son once took it out and hit the front bumper on a curb. That's apparently the body work that it needs aside from the usual body work scratches from a 12 year old car.

Overall, car looks very clean and he says it was never in any accidents aside from the son incident. It's not modded as far as I know and he said he's the second owner since 10,000 miles. I'm going to check it out on Monday.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jesus_ralliart; 12-09-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Depends, is it an SLP car? any rare options?
for reference, 3 years ago, I paid 15K for my 2002 SS anni vert with 15K in miles on her. Car has the SLP 345hp package with center exhaust, ZR1 rims.
Spend some time and check out cars for sale on this site and E bay to get an idea of what these cars are going for currently.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Guy mentioned that it has the slp exhaust so I guess that implies full slp package. Either way, i think it's a good deal I just wanted to either have that notion confirmed or denied.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 540 Likes on 387 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Can't comment if a 'good deal' with such limited info. Maybe it is and maybe it is a potential 'money pit'. Once you see it and find out the true situation then perhaps we can assist with accurate pricing 'guesstimates'
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Teching In

I went to go see it. Guy drove it then let me drive it. Other than being a little dirty / having some scratches it was mechanically all there. Car turned right over, all gears engaged, no lights on the dash. Top worked perfect. Car runs nice/sounds nice/drives nice.

Any thoughts now?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Update: Was supposed to go buy her tommorow so I call the guy to set up a time and he tells me that the car started to overheat while sitting at a stoplight with the a/c on. It's been 100 + in jersey for the past week or so. He says he doesn't feel comfortable selling the car like this and is taking it to a mechanic Monday to find out what is up.

I'm still interested in the ride but I'm skeptical now.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

You can always negotiate the price lower if a reputable mechanic will give the honest scoop on the car. I was kinda waiting on your Carfax report to verify his claims, or at least if the title is clean. If no problems with these important items and it all checks out, then you could be OK if the overheating situation is resolved. $7,000 would be certainly decent for an 80,000 miles SS 'vert. Lots of life left in that engine if maintained properly and not abused. Good luck and don't overlook anything, and certainly don't assume.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks. Yes, I ran the carfax and it all came back as clean. It even showed that he was in fact the second owner and that he got it from pa with about 17k on her. He said that he wouldn't negotiate on the price at all when I test drove it.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

OK, now it is just the overheating issue. See what transpires. You may be in good shape still. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Appreciated. Just wasn't sure if overheating is a common problem/ huge issue. Gonna check under the oil cap/dipstick if maybe the head gasket popped somewhere and look for milk. That is of course if everything is kosher on monday

Quick Reply: 2000 camaro ss vert