What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Quick question on 98 SS I am debating buying..please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on 98 SS I am debating buying..please help!

Hey guys

I am in the market for a 98-02 SS or T/A. I am going to check out a 98 SS SLP car with 65,xxx miles. The only thing is, the t tops "drip" in 2 spots. The guy has put a lot of work and $ into the car and it is a very clean. Also, he said 5th gear has to be eased into, because the fork is bent. Other than these 2 imperfections, the car is really nice. I was wondering if it is worth 7,500$ to dive into the car. Is it possible to fix leaky t tops in these cars? I know I can repair the trans issue, but not too sure about leaky t tops. Wish the car was a hardtop! Damn....I think the price is very fair considering 2nd owner and low milage with over 4,000 in mods. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Thanks so much for the help!!

Steve
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

The T Top leak is a lot easier and less expensive to fix than the trans issue...I wouldn't be too concerned about a few little drips myself. I never drive my TA in the rain anyway. A 6speed trans should not have any issues with that low mileage so I would be concerned the car was driven very hard, especially with the mods on the car. Keep in mind mods usually decrease the value of a car. The price isn't too outrageous, but doesn't sound that great either. You would need receipts to verify exactly what was done to the car and a very thorough inspection before making an informed decision of the car.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocefus
The T Top leak is a lot easier and less expensive to fix than the trans issue...I wouldn't be too concerned about a few little drips myself.
Very easy to fix the leaks, I used some small foam stickyback pieces in the corners of the T-top seals & it made a big difference. Even if it drips a few drops T-tops are worth it.
I never drive my TA in the rain anyway. A 6speed trans should not have any issues with that low mileage so I would be concerned the car was driven very hard, especially with the mods on the car. Keep in mind mods usually decrease the value of a car. The price isn't too outrageous, but doesn't sound that great either. You would need receipts to verify exactly what was done to the car and a very thorough inspection before making an informed decision of the car.
Receipts are good to have of whats all been done but with that low of mileage & if its as clean as you describe its worth the $7500.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Bocefus; Excellent advice and I agree completely.
I wouldn't worry about the top when there are so many other possible issues to think about. 65,000 miles on a stock car would be a real nice buy at $7500 if it had no issues, but is this car a potential 'money pit'??? Was it driven much too hard?? Only you can answer that and you have to be careful and do your homework. Do you know if the title is clean? Any Carfax history? That affects price as well. Low mileage on an abused car is worthless. I've actually seen blown engines on much lower mileage cars. What are those cars worth? Not much...
Good luck! Be patient if this one doesn't work out. This is serious $$$.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Great advice guys, and thanks for the input! It does sound a little shady that the forks are bent on a car with low milage and a lot of work done to it. I checked the car out yesterday and drove it. The car is undoubtedly fast, looks good, sounds good, drives very nice, brakes nice.... couldnt see any signs of leaks or dampness...no fluids on the garage floor where it is stored...
The guy selling the car had to have driven it hard with all the mods. But then again, who works a car like these up and doesn't drive them like they're meant to, ya know? These cars were built to be driven a certain way...why not ya know?
The guy had a real clean garage with a ton of tools, and he also had a 62 Nova that he restored and is real nice inside and out. The guy knows what he is talking about obv. and was very honest and upfront about the issues. So with all of this being said, I am going to wait and see what happens.
Obv. it makes you wonder a little why he wouldn't have repaired the fork issue and then just ask a little more, ya know?
The carfax is clean, no issues....He is the 2nd owner and I was wrong about the mods...more like 8K in mods...Also, the car is a documented SLP car...
HMMMMMMMM.......
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Teching In

geez sorry guys I used 'ya know' wayyy too much in that post....ya know? LOL
Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds better than before but you still have to wonder a bit, ya know??
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Teching In

yeah...7,500 for a 98 SS SLP with lower mileage just sounds weird but the car checks out fine...minus the bent fork and leaky t tops
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I went ahead and passed on the car...seems too iffy...cant even verify SLP or not...found a 2000 SS SLP for a little more anyway...thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Quick question on 98 SS I am debating buying..please help!