What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Salvage Title WS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
You're already fighting the depreciating value of the car, why add a salvage title to it?
Because some people are intelligent with their purchases
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
paid 8k for my unmolested 02 formula M6 with 95k miles. Salvage title vehicles are ****, my first car was and never again. Worst cars to try and sell, believe me from experience don't bother.
It depends on the extent of the damage and who fixed it. I fix wrecks for a living and can assure you there are plenty of good cars out there with a salvage title. I do agree they can be harder to sell at full price.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
It depends on the extent of the damage and who fixed it. I fix wrecks for a living and can assure you there are plenty of good cars out there with a salvage title. I do agree they can be harder to sell at full price.
Thank you for youre knowledgeable post. ALOT of people on here speak without intelligent thinking.

Thanks again
Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Well hopefully you're better at flipping salvage cars than taking pictures, BD1987.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Owner said the car was rear ended. Rear bumper was damaged and quarter panels creased a little in front of the rear wheels. Owner said he bought it with the salvage title, so yeah.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 512 Likes on 370 Posts

Very true about condition but for those that depend on assistance from this forum these posts about salvage cars being decent is a major disservice and generally bad advice. Of course there are exceptions, but in most instances salvage title cars are very bad choices and can become major 'money pits'. If you want to sell one or try to recoup your money, it is extremely TOUGH!! No getting around it. Buying one even at half of KBB pricing is a real gamble. Selling clean title cars is difficult enough in this economy so why add even more obstacles? I would never recommend buying a salvage title car and my experience is extensive. I am not going to get into it with people making a living off selling these cars. If you do well, congratulations! You are entitled to do that just as I am entitled to warn newcomers of the potential pitfalls.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Well hopefully you're better at flipping salvage cars than taking pictures, BD1987.
I think my niece messed with the setting on my camera lol

Someone deleted my post, people on here are incredibly uptight. Another reason i just lurk and use this site to learn about LS motors smh

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Selling clean title cars is difficult enough in this economy so why add even more obstacles?
Only part of your post I agree with.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gravik
Owner said the car was rear ended. Rear bumper was damaged and quarter panels creased a little in front of the rear wheels. Owner said he bought it with the salvage title, so yeah.
I would open the hatch and remove the plastic covering where the latch is to see if any damage was done to the rear structure. Also check all door, hatch, bumper gaps/bodylines to see the quality of the repair.

Check the paint and see how it looks, was it cut and buffed?

I would ask how long he has owned the vehicle. How many miles has he put on it. How much did he drive it. Any problems he has had mechanically and cosmetically.

Fact of the matter is these cars arent worth all that much when it comes down to it. If replacing the qtr/bumper and any pulling needed to be done that exceeded the "value" it will be totaled out.

Every car in my driveway has a salvage title and ive never had a problem with any of them. If you plan on keeping it for a while and everything checks out id definately save myself 5 or 6 grand and buy it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Very true about condition but for those that depend on assistance from this forum these posts about salvage cars being decent is a major disservice and generally bad advice. Of course there are exceptions, but in most instances salvage title cars are very bad choices and can become major 'money pits'. If you want to sell one or try to recoup your money, it is extremely TOUGH!! No getting around it. Buying one even at half of KBB pricing is a real gamble. Selling clean title cars is difficult enough in this economy so why add even more obstacles? I would never recommend buying a salvage title car and my experience is extensive. I am not going to get into it with people making a living off selling these cars. If you do well, congratulations! You are entitled to do that just as I am entitled to warn newcomers of the potential pitfalls.
No offence NC01TA, but your experience must not be very extensive. Anyone worried about resale value would not be buying or modding a 15 year old car. These cars are more of a toy than an investment. Now, are there poorly repaired/garbage salvage title cars out there? Sure there is....theres poorly repaired/garbage clean titled ones out there to. I speak from everyday experience not from ONE bad experience. In my professional opinion it is you offering the disservice to other members by labeling ALL salvage title vehicles as "money pits". Again, if the damage isnt extensive and repairs done CORRECTLY there is no difference other than the label on the title, its up to the buyer to properly inspect ANY car before purchase. If the OP cant afford a nice WS6 a properly repaired salvage title one is the next best thing. Everyone doesnt buy cars to re-sell especialy "toys".

Knowledge > Internet

OP - if your not worried about making a buck when you sell, take the car to an experienced body/frame shop and get a professional opinion.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Exactly.

If the car had a clean title but it was poorly repaired everyone would be saying BUY IT BUY IT.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BD1987
Exactly.

If the car had a clean title but it was poorly repaired everyone would be saying BUY IT BUY IT.
Ive seen some HORRABLE hack jobs and unsafe repairs on clean title late model cars. You never know were a car has been or who repaired it unless its new.

My 98 z28 is a perfect example - https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...ct-98-z28.html. I WATCHED the previous owner crash it and had he turned it in to the insurance company it would have definitely been totalled. I paid cash for it on the spot and had it towed to my house... repaired it and is a clean titled vehicle. No one would ever know the difference as there is no record of that crash.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

EXACTLY.

But if he would have turned it in on insurance it would be deemed a salvage title and all of the idiots would be claiming its junk. BUT because you bought it without insurance ever knowing its a clean title.

I just wish more people would do research and speak on subjects they have experience with, not what so and so said on some random forum. This goes for a plethora of subjects, from performance parts to repairing vehicles. Theres ALWAYS idiots that ruin it for honest people thats just how it works.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I would open the hatch and remove the plastic covering where the latch is to see if any damage was done to the rear structure. Also check all door, hatch, bumper gaps/bodylines to see the quality of the repair.

Check the paint and see how it looks, was it cut and buffed?

I would ask how long he has owned the vehicle. How many miles has he put on it. How much did he drive it. Any problems he has had mechanically and cosmetically.

Fact of the matter is these cars arent worth all that much when it comes down to it. If replacing the qtr/bumper and any pulling needed to be done that exceeded the "value" it will be totaled out.

Every car in my driveway has a salvage title and ive never had a problem with any of them. If you plan on keeping it for a while and everything checks out id definately save myself 5 or 6 grand and buy it.
I definitely want to get a car that is a "keeper." I've had 3 different cars in the past 6 months (albeit first one I had for a year, then got another one and had it for ~2 months, and then I've had the Mustang for a little over 4 months).

No offence NC01TA, but your experience must not be very extensive. Anyone worried about resale value would not be buying or modding a 15 year old car. These cars are more of a toy than an investment. Now, are there poorly repaired/garbage salvage title cars out there? Sure there is....theres poorly repaired/garbage clean titled ones out there to. I speak from everyday experience not from ONE bad experience. In my professional opinion it is you offering the disservice to other members by labeling ALL salvage title vehicles as "money pits". Again, if the damage isnt extensive and repairs done CORRECTLY there is no difference other than the label on the title, its up to the buyer to properly inspect ANY car before purchase. If the OP cant afford a nice WS6 a properly repaired salvage title one is the next best thing. Everyone doesnt buy cars to re-sell especialy "toys".

Knowledge > Internet

OP - if your not worried about making a buck when you sell, take the car to an experienced body/frame shop and get a professional opinion.
Agreed. As far as I figure, dumping money into pretty much any 10+ year old car isn't an investment, it's for the "fun" factor to make your car better. Since they say mods don't add value.
Exactly.

Agreed. My mustang was wrecked but wasn't totaled out because whoever wrecked it never went through insurance. It was fixed right though and other than showing on a carfax, only way you'll know it's been wrecked is if I tell you.

How much do you think a body shop would charge to do an inspection like that?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Not sure, I do know when the front is damaged there is a measuring device (cant think of the name) shops use to make sure it is square and has the right dimensions. Honestly id start tearing apart the rear hatch area to see if any structural damage was done. Look for fresh seam sealer, fresh welds that havent been ground down, etc

Like I stated earlier check all the body gaps and look at the tailights to see if they are fitting properly. If a gap is off usually the structure wasnt pulled correctly and it throws off all of the lines/gaps.

Check the qtr to door gap also. Jack the car up and check the undercarriage. If the guys an honest person he should understand that with the vehicle having a salvage title you just want to make sure proper repairs were done. Also ask if he knows the shop that fixed the car, look into their reputation. Maybe visit them and see if they remember the car.

Regardless of clean or salvage title any wrecked vehicle should be examined thoroughly. Unfortunately theres more people doing shitty work than there are people that do excellent repairs so to have reservations about a wrecked vehicle is normal. At the end of the day you have to cover your own *** especially with a big investment like that.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM

I think its too expensive for a salvage title car... I bought 2 salvage cars at auto auction here and they were much cheaper
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM

I also wanted to say that buying salvage title cars is usually associated with some risks and problems, but I presume that if the price is really low (which is less than $7,7K), it may worth it.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

So would $7,000 be a fair price if it's in good working order?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

If you like it and not planning on flippin it, then go for it. Everyone on here knows that a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'd take a look for that price. If it looks, runs, sounds good and you like it, then go for it. Its for you, not anyone of us. Good Luck and I hope it works ou for you!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres a prime example of a garbage clean title truck I pulled today. The frame on this truck was bent so bad it broke chains getting it back to spec. The front frame/suspension/engine cradle was moved 1.5" to one side and the passanger side rail was back 1/2". This frame is junk! Itll be for sale in a month with new paint, low miles, clean title and no carfax/vin search will ever turn this up.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole salvage title vehicles are worth half is a bunch of BS. If you have two vehicles both in good condition, the salvage title one may be worth 30% less WORST CASE SCENARIO. I have bought, owned, and sold several salvage title vehicles and was able to get near book value for them because they were good solid vehicle that were correctly repaired. I'd be half afraid to take advice about salvage titles and structural damage from some guy who has time to sit on the internet and reply to every thread in the "What's it worth?" forum. Obviously he isn't out working on vehicles or buying and selling them if he has that kind of time.

Quick Reply: Salvage Title WS6