What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro Z28

My search for a new daily driver continues with this '02 Z28. It's got a few more miles than I'd normally prefer, but it's just about the cleanest one I could find within 500 miles under $9000.

97,000 miles, auto transmission, clean title/history
leather, CD player/changer, t-tops, keyless entry
power locks/windows/seat, traction control
fog lights, power steering fluid cooler

I've been in talks with the dealer and have been told that the car is in excellent mechanical condition and everything works. Of course, I've been told that before and often find several issues, but that was at a much lower price point when problems are expected. We've discussed price and are currently at $8200.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

I agree with you about the mileage. 6 figures is just a short drive away. The engine area and seat show the miles too. I'm sure there is more that we can't see. The $8,200 price is about right for a clean '02 but there must be something better within 500 miles. Are you sure? Remember that owners ask $10,000 or $11,000 for their rides but in many cases will take $9,000 cash (in hand, in person). If you love this car, then get it, but don't settle. More cars will come along as Spring nears. Best of luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Teching In

IMHO $8200 is SS money for a car with almost 100k miles. I wouldn't pay more then $7000 OUT THE DOOR for this car. Especially during winter. For whats its worth to you I sold an 01 WS6 with 115k on the clock for $7500 three years ago with a fresh paint job to boot!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I agree with you about the mileage. 6 figures is just a short drive away. The engine area and seat show the miles too. I'm sure there is more that we can't see. The $8,200 price is about right for a clean '02 but there must be something better within 500 miles. Are you sure? Remember that owners ask $10,000 or $11,000 for their rides but in many cases will take $9,000 cash (in hand, in person). If you love this car, then get it, but don't settle. More cars will come along as Spring nears. Best of luck!
Unfortunately, there really isn't anything better around here for the price. Everything else I've seen at this price point has had obvious issues or at least 20k more miles. The only thing better is a really nice 2000 with less than 30k miles that I'd love to have, but the dealer won't go any less than $11,500 and I simply haven't got that kind of money, especially for a daily driver.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default 2002 Camaro Z28

Hello Will, I have a great Camaro Z28 with OEM ram-air intake Hood and OEM Spoiler, LS6 crate motor with 50k mi., 9" 35 spline 410 Wave-trac differential, 450 RWHP, 5000 Watt stereo, FAST 90mm TB, & Fast 90mm intake, 6-spd, T-Tops etc. I need to sell.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CamaroWill
Unfortunately, there really isn't anything better around here for the price. Everything else I've seen at this price point has had obvious issues or at least 20k more miles. The only thing better is a really nice 2000 with less than 30k miles that I'd love to have, but the dealer won't go any less than $11,500 and I simply haven't got that kind of money, especially for a daily driver.
That's a shame! The price range is within grasp and what a difference in cars most likely. The sad part is that the $8,200 car is going to need things over the next couple years (plus the down time) and bring the price right up to (or close) to that sweet 30,000 miles car. If you can't swing it, you can't swing it, but I'm sure you have given it some serious thought. Are you sure the dealer won't take $10,500 cash in hand?? Money talks. Figures it's at a dealer instead of a 'private party'.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
That's a shame! The price range is within grasp and what a difference in cars most likely. The sad part is that the $8,200 car is going to need things over the next couple years (plus the down time) and bring the price right up to (or close) to that sweet 30,000 miles car. If you can't swing it, you can't swing it, but I'm sure you have given it some serious thought. Are you sure the dealer won't take $10,500 cash in hand?? Money talks. Figures it's at a dealer instead of a 'private party'.
This entire thread states the whole problem with the market for 4th gen F-bodies. Most of these cars are close to or well above 100k by now and to find a clean STOCK one even with 97k is harder each day. So you have people and dealers selling clean 100k mile stock examples for within 3 or 4k of what people are selling clean stock 30k mile cars for. It just doesn't make sense to me
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 18wheelsofsteel
This entire thread states the whole problem with the market for 4th gen F-bodies. Most of these cars are close to or well above 100k by now and to find a clean STOCK one even with 97k is harder each day. So you have people and dealers selling clean 100k mile stock examples for within 3 or 4k of what people are selling clean stock 30k mile cars for. It just doesn't make sense to me
I agree, and that's another reason why I would NOT buy one of those high mileage cars unless the price was really right. The price spread is way too close for a car that has seen it's best trouble-free days vs a car that has years and years of an enjoyable driveable life ahead of it. That's why I stress to get the better car when you are talking such close prices. I would pay $3,000-$4,000 more for a non-abused well maintained 30,000 miles car over a 100,000 miles car every day of the week, and I don't care if it is a '99 vs an '02 either. That's how crazy the market is that you can actually do something like that. Things just start breaking on 6 figure mileage cars in most instances and can spoil the ownership experience. I hate to see that after laying out such big $$. Sure, repairs are needed on the nice cars too but not so much that it ruins the experience. If you just don't have that extra few grand, you just don't have it. As I said before, it's a shame.
Sorry CamaroWill, I now this doesn't help but we are just stressing the importance of spending a bit more for a nicer car, especially one that will be used often as a DD. Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Teching In

No need to apologize NC01TA, your advice is actually quite helpful. I was starting to work through the numbers to see if I could afford the nicer car and found out it sold earlier this week.

Nonetheless, I did spot another '02 for sale at a dealer that's about the same distance away as the original one I posted about. They're asking $10,777 firm. Not sure if I'm going the right way here, but it looks clean and has at least a couple years of driving before hitting six digits. Just not sure if it's worth the extra $2500...

73,000 miles, auto transmission, clean title/history
leather, CD player, t-tops, power locks/windows/seat
traction control, fog lights

Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not so sure either. Those miles are certainly not the 30,000 that the other car had. Isn't it always amazing how the nice ones get sold so quick. I'm also concerned about those large wheels on this Camaro. What size are they? They could make for an extremely harsh ride for a DD. Also the harsh ride can prematurely harm the suspension components. I wonder if a younger guy was the previous owner, and how well he treated the car. The mileage isn't that much different and each car's history has to be considered. Just an example, an abused 50,000 miles car could be quite worse than a well maintained highway miles car that has 90,000+ miles on it. Being at a dealership never lets you learn the actual history of the car. That hurts. Also, the dealer price seems about right. Private party would be closer to $9,000 - $9,500. Tough call as it isn't as obvious a difference as the other car that sold.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Not sure about the size of the wheels, but I'm not really a big fan of 'em anyway, so they'd likely get replaced with stock SS wheels if I were to buy the car. Although I won't be making a four hour trip if the dealer won't budge on the price at all... It'd probably be worth a look if they would take $10,000 for it. I don't know... There just isn't anything else that seems reasonably priced. Anything lower than 60k miles starts at $13,000. Really hoping more cars start showing up, because I need to find something soon.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Z28