What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good deal?

i am looking to trade my svt cobra for a 2001 trans am. first off my cobra is a 1999 svt cobra black on black 74k miles clean title. car has a few mods such as real saleen rims, 4:30 gears, lowering kit, bilstein shocks and struts, bbk intake and under drive pullies, hid lights, flowmaster exhaust, diablo programer, tinted windows, stage two clutch and fly wheel.
the car im looking at trading for is a 2001 trans am ( not a ws6) but has a true fiber ws6 hood with heat extractors. the car has 107k miles. automatic trans mission. the car has a few mods such as corvette wheels, lowering springs, flow master exhaust, headers, corvette rail covers, and a sub. the car looks nice and we are going to meet up and look over each others cars.

i have the opportunity to sell the car now for cash but im looking at getting a lowered 98-02 ws6 and i was offered this one. im afraid if i sell it for the cash i will spend more getting a wa6 and lowering it then trading strait up for this one

is it worth it to trade my cobra for this ws6 or should i just sell for cash and then but a 98-02 trans am and lower it my self?
thanks and i understand this is a ls1 forum im just looking to see what the LS1 experts think

thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm confused. Is the trade a WS6 or not? Personally, I would just sell the Cobra outright and then buy a WS6. A clean, low mileage Cobra should bring more than a Trans Am and then you can use the excess cash to do the mods that you want.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Teching In

no the hear is all i know about the car
its a 2001 trans am, 107k miles car has been lowered and has corvette rims. the car has an automatic transmission. the car comes with a turner to make it shift quicker. the car has corvette engine covers, headers, flow master exhaust, no cats, sub woofer, tinted windows, strut bar, slp intake, and a ws6 hood with heat extractors so it cant be a original ws6 hood. im not sure what the brand of the hood is but im guessing it is a ture fiber hood
the car looks like it is pretty clean
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Absolutely NOT!! That's a poor trade for you unless your car is in disrepair or needs all kinds of things. If it is, then that's up to you. Only you know how your car truly is.
Sell your Cobra and the ball be in your court with cash in hand when looking for a T/A. You'll do much better that way and find a much nicer car. Don't get lazy. Make the effort. Even in 'fair' condition your '99 Cobra with 75k miles should fetch around $9,000 - $10,000 or so. Dealers ask a lot more than that on the retail side. Cash in hand means you could look for Trans Ams priced right up to $11,000. That would be a heck of a lot better T/A than the one you are talking about. Lay that cash on the hood of the T/A that you find and want, and the owner will probably take it 9 times out of 10. Just remember that winter is a tough time to sell cars. You will need patience too. It will all pay off for you if you play your cards right. You could be making at least a $1,000 to $2,000 dollar mistake with a straight up trade. I'm sure that kind of money is important to you. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Absolutely NOT!! That's a poor trade for you unless your car is in disrepair or needs all kinds of things. If it is, then that's up to you. Only you know how your car truly is.
Sell your Cobra and the ball be in your court with cash in hand when looking for a T/A. You'll do much better that way and find a much nicer car. Don't get lazy. Make the effort. Even in 'fair' condition your '99 Cobra with 75k miles should fetch around $9,000 - $10,000 or so. Dealers ask a lot more than that on the retail side. Cash in hand means you could look for Trans Ams priced right up to $11,000. That would be a heck of a lot better T/A than the one you are talking about. Lay that cash on the hood of the T/A that you find and want, and the owner will probably take it 9 times out of 10. Just remember that winter is a tough time to sell cars. You will need patience too. It will all pay off for you if you play your cards right. You could be making at least a $1,000 to $2,000 dollar mistake with a straight up trade. I'm sure that kind of money is important to you. Good luck!
^^^ what he said.
Sounds like you are settling for a high mileage non-WS6 car. Have the cash in hand, then start looking at places like Florida and TX for your WS6. I bought a $200 airplane ticket and a $20 cab ride. picked up mine in FL and drove her home. Was the color and car I really wanted.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Teching In

ok thanks the guy that wants to buy my car says to take my add down and he will give me 10,000 cash. what im really looking for is a lowered 98-02 black ws6 that has already been lowered
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would leave your add up until you have the cash in your pocket!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z-camaro
This. It just causes unnecessary hassle and scares off buyers if the deal falls through and you have to put up the add again.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Definitely sell your car and go buy a real WS6 and spend a couple hundred dollars to lower it. That T/A is probably worth around $8000.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't cost much to lower the T/A. I bought some Vogtland springs from Ebay, they are German made, the real freakin deal for cheap and yea they definately lower it! lol
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robbiejaegle
ok thanks the guy that wants to buy my car says to take my add down and he will give me 10,000 cash. what im really looking for is a lowered 98-02 black ws6 that has already been lowered
Do yourself a favor and research lowering before you buy any ol' lowered car, you may end up buying lowering springs and shocks all over again anyway if its not done right.
You want good shocks (not oem, or autozone replacements, look for cars that have bilstiens or konis) and good springs (not eibach, the ideal lowering springs are Stranos). You may also need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end after its lowered.
Me personally I would try and find the cleanest, most stock-non-molested Fbody I could, that way you have a clean slate to work with and you are not fixing previous owners mistakes and dealing with their issues. If you buy a modded car KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING, research the mods and make sure they don't hurt reliability. Dont get talked up to a higher price just because the car is modded, some mods are worse than stock (flowmaster muffler for example).
Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Good advice here, especially leaving the ad in place. Talk is cheap when someone offers you $$. Until it's in your bank account, it's not a done deal.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Understand I have nothing to hide about the car there is nothing wrong with it I just wanted some advise
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Sell your car and go buy another one. The car offered to you in trade sounds like it falls around 6-7500k in value. Obviously that's a hit for you
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're dead set on a T/A with a A4 look for one with the T56 M6, it's a great transmission with the double overdrives. I agree with all these guys, sell your car first and look for your 'Bird in an area with no road salt, Good Luck with your search!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Alright I appreciate all the good advice il post tonight if the guy buys the car today thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you in the Missouri/St.Louis area?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any update for us?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Yep, had a guy call me from New York to buy my TriAxle Dump truck he wanted me to hold it for him for a day and he would drive down with cash and take it home, ask me to promise him his drive down it would be there. Had some more calls and told them it is sold, guess what the piece of **** never showed! Saved the other #'s he showed with the $..good luck
Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Teching In

yeah the guy told me to request off work on friday so i told him i would and he said at 230 he would call and be on his way from chicago... 230 went by and at 3 i texted him and asked if he was on his way and he said no he got called into work.... and that he is still interested in it and that he would let me know when he can come. i hate when people never let you know anything... but never the less iv had a few bites since then

and tipnitty i live in lincoln il its 30 mins north of springfield il im not to far from st louis mabey 2 hours or so

Quick Reply: is this a good deal?