What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Built '98 Z28, what's it worth

Old 05-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built '98 Z28, what's it worth

Hey everyone,

So I found what I believe to be a good deal on a 1998 Z28 with a built LS1. I'm just trying to gauge the price range on modified LS1's and see what someone with greater knowledge than myself thinks about this car. I've only ever owned an LT1

here's part of the ad..

-double roller timing chain
-SLP heavy duty oil pump
-Manley hardened push rods
-Patriot Performance LS6 (243) ported cylinder heads
-New Era performance Streetsweeper custom grind camshaft
-Cometic Head gaskets
-Yella Terra roller rocker arms
-ARP head bolts
-BBK 85MM throttle body and Intake manifold
-Pacesetter Ceramic coated long tube headers
-SLP Loud Mouth 2 cat back exhaust
-SLP mass air flow sensor
-SLP air lid with K&N filter
-Ram air box

-Transmission

-TCI streetfighter 3000 Stall torque converter
-shift kit
-hardened sun shell
-upgraded performance clutches
-32k gvw transmission cooler
-Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid

-Suspension
-UMI rear lower control arms (greaseable with poly bushings)
-UMI panhard bar (greaseable with poly bushings)
-Spohn weld in frame connectors
-Spohn non adjustable torque arm (-2 degrees pinion angle with poly mount)
-Spohn strut tower brace

-Rear End
-3.73 gears with Royal Purple fluid

So currently the car has 106k on it, and all the work was done in the 92-95,000 range and he's owned the car for 8 years. He claims the car makes over 400 HP to the wheels.

The cam duration is over 220 degrees at both intake and exhaust and the lift is over 580 on both sides. The guy was a GM tech for a while as well so he seems to know what he's doing. Sounds to me like he built a monster.

Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Or maybe some particular questions I should ask him about the car. he's asking 6k for the car...
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For a quality rebuild/freshening on engine, trans, and rear end a $6K price tag sounds pretty decent if the body and interior are still in good shape. Original paint or repaint? Dents/dings? The early 1998's don't have the same issue with the peeling/bubbling sail panel paint as all the later cars do. That could be a plus for a '98 Z28 bought in 1998 vs. 1999.

The first thing that sticks out to me is that nothing is mentioned on the parts list for lower engine bearings and pistons-cylinder bore and rings. Does that mean that this recently rebuilt engine is still working on the original 106K miles key internals? If someone is spending thousands on drive train work why not spend the money for 400 hp rated pistons and rings? I'd at least ask the question. And they might have a good answer. Considering a decent 106K mile car that is mostly original is worth $3K to $4K, there's not a lot of downside here if quality work was performed. But you also don't want to be the one to be going back into that engine in the next 45K miles. Those original crank shaft and rod bearings were subjected to +100 hp and probably more beatings during the past 10,000 miles. Wouldn't call it a monster but more like a street/strip rebuild. Will it pass an emissions inspection? Check engine light? Anything not work?

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-26-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Here are a few pics

Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I was curious about the lower end of the engine because it doesn't mention anything about pistons, etc. And isn't the stock ls1 crank rated for around 1000 hp?

He mentioned the MPG range in the low teens which is unfortunate because I'm looking for more of a summer DD and something I can take south with me when I move out of NY. My plan is to sell my LT1 and put it towards purchasing an LS1 and this one seems like a good deal. I'm sick of the LT1 ignition problems and looking for a car I can trust.

Last edited by speedychevy; 05-29-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedychevy
I was curious about the lower end of the engine because it doesn't mention anything about pistons, etc. And isn't the stock ls1 crank rated for around 1000 hp?
The car looks decent in those photos. I'm not so concerned about the hp rating on the orig crank as it is that the lower end bearings all have 106,000 miles on them. If that's standard for hp upgrades, then so be it. I'd be much happier with 10,000 mile crank and rod bearings. There are some 106,000 miles / 16 year old parts still on the car that could prove less than reliable as time goes on, especially electronic and electrical parts, and AC/heating/cooling system. I wouldn't necessarily expect a 106K car to be fully reliable. In the $6K price range the options are limited though. If it doesn't get the mileage you are looking for then keep your options open.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-28-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Built '98 Z28, what's it worth