What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

To fix or not to fix? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014 | 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default To fix or not to fix? That is the question...

I'm about to put my 02 SOM WS6 with 91k up for sale. The manual transmission is having a tough time shifting into 1st and especially reverse while running, shifts fine when engine is turned off. Also rolls forward in 1st on even surface when pedal is pushed all the way in and has a low, soft pedal ever since the clutch master was replaced 1k ago (never had any shifting problems before then, only replaced it because for years pedal would sometimes stick to floor) It's had 2 slave cylinders put in it, one at 55k with a new z06 clutch kit and another at 77k when the tranny was completely rebuilt.

Have it in shop right now, will cost about $550 to replace just GM slave, but mechanic can't guarantee that'll solve problem, says it may need clutch etc, which i doubt because I've gone pretty soft on clutch since it was put in, never seen track etc. All told if it needs another master we're talking another 400 plus if it needs a clutch prob another 700, so about $1500 potentially. Car is driveable but absolutely needs some repair to make it safe.

Is it worth potentially spending $800-$1500 on a repair? Would I get my money back during the sale? or is it just better to sell it to someone who knows how to fix it (like tons of people on here) for a slightly lower price and let them fix it? Also paint on left front fender and driver door peeling from a paint repair of when it was keyed before I bought it 10 years ago, rest of car is fine, is it worth having that repaired before selling or it is not even worth it????

Your thoughts appreciated!

Last edited by RiceEatingWS6; 12-13-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-16-2014 | 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

over 100 views, no reply? What would you guys do in my situation???
Old 12-16-2014 | 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I would do the work yourself. Factory master cyl is 70$, slave is 70$ and clutch kit incase you need it is 350$... That is 490$ vs 1500$ if everything has to be replaced. No its not going to raise resale at all so you will not get the money back when selling the car.

If the pedal is soft it may just need to be bled.
Old 12-16-2014 | 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by N20zuki
I would do the work yourself. Factory master cyl is 70$, slave is 70$ and clutch kit incase you need it is 350$... That is 490$ vs 1500$ if everything has to be replaced. No its not going to raise resale at all so you will not get the money back when selling the car.

If the pedal is soft it may just need to be bled.
unfortunately the car is in Fla and im living in CA. My dad is going to be selling the car for me so I cant do the work myself. I told the mechanic to go ahead and replace the clutch master w/ oem & see if that fixes the problem w/ the shifting. If it doesn't im prob just gonna sell it to someone on here and let them put a new slave/clutch in there potentially.

Would it be worth fixing the peeling paint on the driver fender and door?
Old 12-16-2014 | 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say if u can't fix it your self ...
Send it as is ...
I know I would rather but something cheaper and fix it my self ..
Post some details and a price
Old 12-23-2014 | 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Selling a car not running significantly and unrealistically lowers the price/value of the car. If you are talking about selling as is...... good luck.
I would find someone that can do that work for you on the cheap. Shop around. Maybe even get gutsy and try a craigy post for help wanted on it. Maybe you can barter that person's services for a gun you have or something. Gear heads (that can show credentials) will do work for man toys.

Quick Reply: To fix or not to fix? That is the question...