What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 M6 Formula 13,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 M6 Formula 13,000 miles

Just picked her up in ARZ last year. All the usual options except has cloth seats. No rust whatsoever even the underside is pretty. I was wanting to build her up bit by bit but am having 2nd thoughts, maybe I should sell it as is and buy a car that's already had the work done. What's she worth realistically..$12k?? All opinions are appreciated!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 455 Likes on 330 Posts

If the Formula is a one or two owner garage kept car in truly near mint condition with a clear title and no Carfax issues I personally would pay up to $15,000 for such an example. 6 speed F-bodies with ultra low mileage are not easily found. However, start lowering that price from that high price point with each thing that is wrong with the car. If it needs tires or needs fluid changes from age alone (15 years requires everything), dings, curb rash, etc.. You get the idea. Any flaws are a deduction.
As far as modding that is totally up to you. Modding will decrease the value of that car in most instances. Right now, in stock form, the car appeals to everyone, even a collector might like it. The minute you mod, you eliminate many potential buyers. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, don't worry about it. Mod away and enjoy the car. If you might sell in a year or two, don't mod!! It's $$ you will never get back. In two years, a modded 30,000+ miles 17 year old Formula might bring $10k. It depends of course on condition, etc.. but you can see the potential price spread of a possible $15,000 car now vs a modded one two years down the road.
There are different ways to look at it too. It isn't just one thought process. If you are still OK with the potential of losing some $$, it's the same thing as buying a new car off a dealer lot and having it depreciate. Same difference. It's your call on how to proceed.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems to me you can essentially buy the mods you want for "free." You can probably find a modded car for $15K that has twice that much put into it. So to mod your 13K mile car will cost you money in depreciation as well as the $10K to $20K your mods will costs....$$ that will never be recovered. It's a no brainer decision if you will eventually want mods....and aren't particularly fussy that you weren't there to see them done. Let someone else pay for the mods and take the depreciation hit. Those cars are in plentiful supply. We see ads all the time for modded cars with $25K to $50K into them going for $10K to $20K.

What's the color on the formula? Hardtop? #'s of owners? Original paperwork/documents? Any deviations from stock? They did make WS6 and Firehawk formula's for this year. The formula Firebird scarcest/most desirable colors are the teal and maple red.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-22-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I've been looking for a WS6 Formula for a while, if you want to sell her, let me know.

Last edited by scoutdrivinrebel; 03-01-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Teching In

I have started looking over the production numbers, and I am the 2nd owner. She's Black and hardtop not WS6 so no special options. Just super low miles and in awesome shape. The paint is normal for its age but the underside is clean enough to eat off of. PM sent SDRebel

Last edited by WisBird; 03-02-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WisBird
I have started looking over the production numbers, and I am the 2nd owner. She's Black and hardtop not WS6 so no special options. Just super low miles and in awesome shape. The paint is normal for its age but the underside is clean enough to eat off of. PM sent SDRebel
The car as a formula hardtop is 17-33X scarcer than a "common" WS6 or Trans Am TTop which there are plenty of. You don't really need any special options since it's an LS1 that is good for 305-345 hp depending on the set up. It's a lighter weight body with more factory rigidity than the TTops cars. Many enthusiasts looking to go fast in a light car look for these. It's no secret that same base Z28's and Firebird formula's were just as fast as their "upgraded" SS/WS6 sisters....right from the factory.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-02-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Teching In

After looking into I guess I thought there was more suspension-wise with the WS6 option. I did know about the weight difference, any idea ~ how much? Also i much prefer the looks of the Formula front end. To be honest there is only 1 thing wrong with this car imo...she's not Orange! As soon as the snow rinses away i'll take more pics and gauge interest in all of the classifieds.

Last edited by WisBird; 03-05-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 M6 Formula 13,000 miles