What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015 | 12:37 AM
Teching In

Default Is this a good deal?

Well everyone, tax time is just around the corner and I've been thinking about dropping some cash on my first F-body. I found a clean 2001 SS Camaro that is mostly stock. The only thing holding me back from jumping on it is the price, is 10,500 a fair price for this car? http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5318543808.html
Old 12-18-2015 | 01:14 AM
On The Tree

I would say it is close to a fair price. the blue book for that car in that area is around 7500 in very good condition. the full kooks exhaust runs between 2000-2500. depending on the diablo programmer that's another 300-500. then the K&N is 100ish. the suspension components probably ran in the 500 range also. The problem the seller is going to have is that just because he put 10500 into this car, he isn't going to get it out. If I was in your shoes, I would offer him 9000 cash and haggle from there, but I'd be wary of going above 10k
Old 12-18-2015 | 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shadowfirep
I would say it is close to a fair price. the blue book for that car in that area is around 7500 in very good condition. the full kooks exhaust runs between 2000-2500. depending on the diablo programmer that's another 300-500. then the K&N is 100ish. the suspension components probably ran in the 500 range also. The problem the seller is going to have is that just because he put 10500 into this car, he isn't going to get it out. If I was in your shoes, I would offer him 9000 cash and haggle from there, but I'd be wary of going above 10k
I would try to stick closer to the blue book price of $7500 and go from that price. I look at the purchase price from this view. If you yourself had to turn around and sell the car, could you get what you just paid? If not, chances are you have either over paid for the car. Guys think these cars are collectable, they are not and tend to be a performance parts money pit. If you decide to move on it, take cash with you in the full amount that you are prepared to pay. Money talks when you have cash in hand. Go and be prepared to drive it away. They add also says LIEN so you will not get a title from this guy. He may also owe more then the car is worth too. There are a lot of cars online here now. A few have recently sold for what I consider screaming deals. The problem was the younger crowd wanted them badly, but they did not have the cash. They guys who have the cash, also do not have anymore room in their garage as it might already hold a corvette or another f-body if they are reading this forum. My .02 worth.....cash is king!!!
Old 12-18-2015 | 10:59 AM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

other than the black wheels, not my liking... that's a nice looking clean car. But as the others have said, offer less and haggle with him. Artic white Camaro's FTW
Old 12-18-2015 | 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I agree that the wheels are really holding that car back cosmetically. Solid black wheels do nothing for me at all. The neutral interior with a white body doesn't exactly work for me, but it's certainly not a deal breaker either. The wheels are an easy change but that costs money, so I'd offer less and likely offer to buy it with no wheels at all (I always have spare 4th gen wheels.) The lien status is a hassle, and something that would put further downward pressure on my offer; you really don't expect to be dealing with that when purchasing a car that's nearly 15 years old.

Overall, it looks like a nice car and would appeal to me personally as a driver, if it were local. I love the color, and it's hard to find these mid-mileage automatic cars (most are well over 100k, or ultra low mile garage queens.) Being an '01 SS with just a hair over 70k, I think you can forget about the KBB pricing of $7500, it would certainly sell for more than that in my region. $10.5k is a bit on the high side, my offer would probably fall somewhere in the $8500-9500 range depending on in-person condition.
Old 12-18-2015 | 09:43 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...aro-ss-le.html

I really like this one! What would be a good price for this one?
Old 12-19-2015 | 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mbysoon?

This one is somewhat "local" to me. I sold my 2000 40,000 mile SS last year for $10,000. It had a SLP Loud Mouth and lid on it, but was otherwise stone cold stock.

That being said, the one you linked to caught my eye as at least somewhat reasonably priced. It is a 35th Ann car, but has had a bunch of mods. Don't know whether the mods make any difference to you or not....but they do matter to some and willl reduce the value.

If I was ready to buy another one, I would hook up the trailer and put $10,500 cash in my pocket and go see if I could buy it. I think it is a great looking car!
Old 12-21-2015 | 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mbysoon?

It's listed as sold. But to me, the LE at $12,500 was a better deal than the 2001 A4 at $10,500. It's a year newer (+$500), more desirable anniv model (+$1K min), an M6 (+$1K), and less miles too. Both are modified to about the same level. Mid-mile anniv cars aren't that easy to find. Most are well under 45K and start around $14-15K.

I think the $10K on the 2001 is too much for an A4 this early in the winter season. Still 3 months of price deductions to come....and more deals. This car doesn't jump out at me as a deal. As a comparison car, there's a 1 owner 1999 A4 with 9K miles at $13,500 out there (NY) for the past 6 months. I'd be more interested in getting a very clean, lower mileage car. The previous post on a 40K mile 2000 seemed reasonable too at $10K. Those 2 cars are somewhat equal deals once you factor in the miles. I don't know how competitive the Tulsa market is but one would think a clean, stock 70K mile 2001 A4 could be bought for $8500-$9500. If you step back to a 1998-2000 that will save you an extra $1K-$3K, with essentially identical performance.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-21-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?