What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Totalled 99 M6 SS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016 | 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Totalled 99 M6 SS.

So I got a call from my adjuster today that my 99 M6 SS I used to DD has been declared a total loss. The car was being driven back to me when a fucktard deer dove out in front of the car. It crumpled the hood on one side, busted the front fascia, and busted one fender. The car is still perfectly drivable. I've owned the car for 10 years and bought it from the guy who bought it new off the GM lot. The engine is high mileage (178,000) miles 66k of which is from me and it was an interstate commuter for the first owner. Car shifts great, clutch is fine, the only drive train component I ever had trouble with was the slave cylinder which I replaced.

The interior is in rough shape but thats about the only negative I can think of off the top of my head.

So whats this car worth? I'm sure there has to be a healthy market for a perfectly mobile Ls1/T56 powertrain.
Old 03-30-2016 | 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Unfortunately not worth much with those 178,000 miles. Even if easy highway miles I can't imagine good $$ being involved. Sorry about the loss.
Old 03-30-2016 | 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Unfortunately not worth much with those 178,000 miles. Even if easy highway miles I can't imagine good $$ being involved. Sorry about the loss.
What number you figure? I know high mileage can scare people off but I'm hoping people can value the fact its been a 2 owner adult owned car its entire life with frequent oil changes so it hasn't ever been abused. I was always too afraid of destroying the stock 10 bolt to ever really hard launch the car.
Old 03-30-2016 | 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I agree with your assessment. Sounds like you took good care of the car. You just can't expect the big $$ though. The insurance company is probably accurate in this instance at about $2,000 - $3,000 for the whole damaged car. A healthy non-damaged example will only bring so much with those miles. Maybe $6k on a good day??? I doubt much higher. I always hypothetically put myself into others shoes. If I had the same accident with my car (still under 50,000 miles and one owner) I would realize the car would be worth well under $10,000. I mean, you have to ask, who wants it?? Now if I added another 100,000+ miles on it, what is it worth? Not much. I really dislike insurance agencies using broad brushed comparisons on cars but IMO they are certainly close in this instance. The fact that they consider a one or two owner well cared for garage kept car the same as a 5 owner car left out in the elements is just so wrong on so many levels. The price guides do the same thing. No consideration. Unfortunately there is little price spread anymore as the cars get old. Your toughest task ahead is finding another nice ride. Best of luck!
Old 03-31-2016 | 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We know there are premiums for cars with limited owners showing a full documented maintenance history. I might put that at the 5-10% range over a vehicle with more owners and zero history. So let's say on a $10K valued car, that's worth an extra $500 to me. It's very unlikely anyone would consider it worth more than $1,000, and $1,000 (10%) is a stretch.

If we apply the same premiums to this car that was well kept before being totaled, that premium would only be $250-$500 before the accident. And post-accident maybe half those numbers. Most people would apply the logic to 178K miles that most everything important in the car is up for rebuild or replacement.

Quick Reply: Totalled 99 M6 SS.