What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 Formula Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Formula Firehawk

I've got a fun one for y'all today.

⦁1999 Firebird Formula Firehawk Coupe
⦁Automatic Transmission
⦁1 Owner - 50,000 original miles
⦁Flawless Bright Red Paint - 9/10
⦁Upgraded leather interior - 9/10

⦁All the standard Firehawk options: Power steering cooler, 17x9 chrome wheels and 275/40ZR17 tires, Functional ram-air hood, Firehawk stainless steel exhaust, Firehawk decals, Firehawk emblem on the ashtray, Firehawk key fobs (2), Firehawk supplemental owner’s manual

⦁Optional Firehawk upgrades:
-Auburn limited slip differential with aluminum cover (3.23 gears)
-SLP suspension package
-Specially calibrated Eibach progressive rate springs rated at 223-448 pounds per inch, front, and 97-136 pounds per inch, rear
-Bilstein shocks
-Reinforced lower rear control arms and panhard rod with higher-durometer bushings
-Thicker 1LE front (32mm) and rear stabilizer bars
-Synthetic lubricant package
-Firehawk car cover
-Firehawk mats
-Chrome Wheels

According to http://www.firehawk.org/images/lit/1999/1999.pdf :
⦁1 of 34 Firehawk Formula coupes built in 99, 1 of 6 Red formula coupes built
⦁1 of 1 auto red formula coupes with the optional upgrades mentioned above

The car was extremely well cared for. The owner was very meticulous about the upkeep of the vehicle and kept all of the maintenance records. In addition to the maintenance records, he has every single piece of documentation you could ask for with a vehicle, even the original invoice. The car is tastefully modified with all the original parts included. Upgrades include an aftermarket lid & air intake, strut tower brace, upgraded SSBC brake package, seats redone in leather, medium window tint.

This car literally needs nothing. It even has a brand new set of Goodyear F1 GSdumD3 tires.

Thoughts on a price range for this car?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

I understand the "collectibility" factor of this car is out the window at 50k miles, but regardless this is still a very rare firehawk in flawless condition.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Carolina Bandit
I understand the "collectibility" factor of this car is out the window at 50k miles, but regardless this is still a very rare firehawk in flawless condition.
I wouldn't say that collectibility factor is completely gone at that mileage, it's just no longer a #1 condition/top tier collector example at 50k miles and only 17 years old. But there are all types of collectors, and not all of them are exclusively looking for trailered three/four-digit mileage cars. This one is a pretty rare model and is nicely optioned originally, so if it's in excellent condition it would still be desirable to many people looking for something much better than a basic daily driver.

Having said that, there is no such thing as "flawless" condition for a 50k mile car. If they have more than ~3-5k miles or so, there are certainly flaws that can be found if inspected closely enough. My '98 has been a garage queen/show car its entire life, always properly cared for as such and prepped for judged events, but it still has some flaws even at only 17k miles. You just can't avoid this if the car is ever driven.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

I'll admit to getting little carried away with the "flawless" description. It would be better described as "great condition".

Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

What is he asking?

My guess would be $16k-18k

BTW, the transmission type is very subjective, when I was in my 20s, a manual would be preferred but now I only want an Auto because I don't want to shift...51, old guy now...cruising is my speed but still like to surprise folks with that LS1 power!
69k miles on mine
Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A comparably conditioned 1999 Firehawk A4 with 38K miles local to me was for sale at $13K on the Firehawk.org site 1-2 yrs back. While the hardtop is a lot rarer, most buyers are looking for TTops. But there are certainly those looking for speed over style. I don't know what premium to toss in for the additional SLP options this car has (Auburn, Bilstein susp). It's the only FH formula coupe in any color or any transmission, that came with the Auburn. And it's only 1 of 12 formula A4 coupes for 1999. Being a '99 and 50K miles, I would think getting $14K-$15K (or more) would be fairly strong for this. The number of people looking for this exact type of car is very small as the loaded, 2001-2002 TTops coupes with M6 tend to be in more demand, including the WS6 over the FH. All the factory production exterior colors for these Formula FH hardtops are very low, with black being the most available.

http://firehawk.org/images/lit/1999/1999.pdf

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-25-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

In my mind I had it pegged somewhere in the mid teens, possibly higher to the right person. I would think there's more of a market for the WS6 vs. a firehawk because they're much more common. A dime a dozen in comparison to a limited # of firehawks, let alone a formula hawk. But that also makes for a limited group of buyers like you mentioned Firebrian.

I still like the idea of owning a very well optioned car like this, and the thing that really appeals to me is how well it was maintained by the original owner. It's definitely harder to find these cars like that as time goes on.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bgw70
BTW, the transmission type is very subjective, when I was in my 20s, a manual would be preferred but now I only want an Auto because I don't want to shift
Even in my 20s I didn't want a manual. I've never liked them, I've been an auto guy since day one in this hobby, partially because I've lived my entire life in a super high traffic area with nothing but straight flat roads and stop lights every 1/8-1/4 mile.....perfect auto country, and especially once I figured out how quick they are with a proper stall speed for the application. I like a well built auto trans with a ratchet shifter preferably, that way I can get precise manual up/down shifts when I want them, or just put it in drive and cruise. Shifting is fun, but clutch operation is just an annoying hassle that has never appealed to me going back to the very first manual V8 Camaro that I ever drove.

The higher desireability of manuals is good for guys like us, we can get what we actually prefer for less money. Unfortunately, the auto cars tend to get driven more, so it's harder to find them with very low mileage as a given platform ages.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
A comparably conditioned 1999 Firehawk A4 with 38K miles local to me was for sale at $13K on the Firehawk.org site 1-2 yrs back. While the hardtop is a lot rarer, most buyers are looking for TTops. But there are certainly those looking for speed over style. I don't know what premium to toss in for the additional SLP options this car has (Auburn, Bilstein susp). It's the only FH formula coupe in any color or any transmission, that came with the Auburn. And it's only 1 of 12 formula A4 coupes for 1999. Being a '99 and 50K miles, I would think getting $14K-$15K (or more) would be fairly strong for this. The number of people looking for this exact type of car is very small as the loaded, 2001-2002 TTops coupes with M6 tend to be in more demand, including the WS6 over the FH. All the paint colors for these Formula FH hardtops are very low with black being the most common.

http://firehawk.org/images/lit/1999/1999.pdf

I agree, this Firehawk isn't worth as much as the rarity might suggest. In terms of options and model year, it's just not what is currently most desirable. Still a pretty special car, but just not in high demand. It would take a very specific buyer to pay at or above ~$15K for this car.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate all the input thus far and I agree with the subjectivity of transmission type. I just like the manuals, especially on the highway. But there's an *** for every seat!

I already have a deal worked out with the seller and if all goes as planned I'll be driving it home this weekend. I got into a bit of a bidding war with another buyer so I ended up paying more than I wanted to, but overall I'm happy with the deal.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Gorgeous car in the photo. If a one owner, garage kept example with full records, $15,000 would be perfectly fine in my book. Go find another.
Good luck!!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Gorgeous car in the photo. If a one owner, garage kept example with full records, $15,000 would be perfectly fine in my book. Go find another.
Good luck!!
If only it was that easy to find f-bodys like these! I'm planning on making the road trip this weekend to finalize the deal. Bye bye bank account
Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

If only it was that easy to find f-bodys like these! I'm planning on making the road trip this weekend to finalize the deal. Bye bye bank account
Good luck!! Have fun no matter what and hopefully bring us some positive results.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Teching In

I prefer the automatic as I drove truck for 35 yrs,, My shoulders and legs can use the break, But my first 2 69 camaros (paid $200 each in late 70s) and my new 1982 z28 (feb 82 $9500) where 4 speed and 5 speeds,, personally would have no interest in a hardtop though that is a awesome looker.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good luck!!
I completely agree with this. I paid around that for my 2001 hardtop formula firehawk with 20k miles.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I purchased the car this past weekend and I love it. I posted a walk around video in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ird-owner.html
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations sir. I love my Formula Firehawk. All of the back and fourth of what it's worth is completely suggestive. It's worth what someone will pay. In 2000 they only made 11 Formula hard top six speed cars and only 2 were black. I don't even like black which I am sure is the reason I ended up with one. Just enjoy driving and caring for the car. Cars are a shitty investment anyway. I may be fixing to post mine up for sale and you can bet your backside it won't be for a loss so I will probably be wasting band width.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I purchased the car this past weekend and I love it. I posted a walk around video in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ird-owner.html
Saw that. Congratulations once again

Quick Reply: 1999 Formula Firehawk