What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 2001 Camaro SS

I have a unique Camaro SS in that it is a true SS, yet is a stripper model with hardtop, manual locks and windows, no rear defogger and manual seats. Being a true SS, it came with the Hurst, chrome 10 spokes and CME.

I am tossing around the idea of selling it as my wife and I are looking at new houses, and have decided to unload some of our assets that seldom get used.

That being said, I am the original owner of this car, and it only has 9,500 miles on it. It is not stock, but everything is reversible. The only challenging reversal would be the halo bar paint. I had the halo bar painted white because I like the way it looked on the LT1 SS's. What do you guys think it's worth? I was thinking of asking $14,900, but honestly have no clue. What's your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Camaro SS-image.png  
Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Provided your car is in excellent condition, as it should be with those 9,500 miles, I find that asking price to be very fair. Plus it's a one owner example! Your rather unique Camaro isn't available every day of the week. It's up to you how far down to negotiate but I wouldn't go too low. I think you will get lots of interest. Hemmings, Autotrader, even ebay if you can stand the 'tire kickers' bothering you.
GLWS!!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

An SS coming with a no frills/strippo Z28-like hardtop package is quite unusual. The chrome wheels and CME are SLP options that you would have had to order. So it's even odder that those were added on a strippo car where you had to fork over another $1,000 or so. Still, they don't add hardly additional weight or complexity to the car like power options would. Not having seat and window motors than will eventually fail is a nice feature imo. If your car were 100% stock I'd figure it's worth $15,000-$16,000 imo depending on how nice it is. SLP chrome wheels/CME/Blackwing air lid added another $600-$800 to the regular SS value. Those are very desirable SS options. It's not quite as desirable if you added the SLP wheels/lid/exhaust yourself after buying the car.

I would price the car at no lower than $15,950. You have something that almost no one else does. And it's quite hard to replicate. What do you mean by the "halo" bar? Is that the sail panel on the roof? I had a white '98 Z28 and it did come with a white sail panel (see my correction later). If you had yours repainted after replacing the problematic sail panel itself (original ones bubble the paint if left in the hot sun) that would be a plus. If you just painted over the black, yeah, probably a negative, especially if you treated/painted over bubbles that were just starting. The bubbles would return again.

White is the 2nd scarcest color in a 2001 SS M6 after SOM (234 SOM vs. 325 White). And I like white performance cars. No doubt others do too. An unusual overall package that you could certainly get $15,500+ for. Just last year regular 2001/2002 M6 SS's with 10K miles were sometimes fetching around $15.5K-$16.5K. Fwiw, the cheapest "all there" 2001-2002 SS M6 with under 15K miles on Autotrader.com is $17,995. It's fine to be priced very competitive, but I don't see any advantage to jump right out and price it lower than any other comparable car in the country, including sold cars I listed in the next post down.

The price guides are completely bogus when it comes to a 10K mile '98-'02 SS. They give no additional value to an M6 ($1,000+) and are WAY too cheap on the mileage premium. Fwiw, the price guides are about $4K too cheap on my '99 SS M6 with 17K miles. Figure even more on your car.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-20-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ca...m=322066719724

That's a comparable 2002 SS M6 CME with 7K miles that apparently sold on Ebay in April for $15,950. Though only one bid at the starting bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Chevrolet-Camaro-/272198843236?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f6050bb64%3Ag%3AkCEAAOSwiylXAJxa&item=272198843236&nma=true&si=qAMImNf5JRTwZZKX6KS46NcVOjo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Here's another selling for $15,600 on over 40 bids and no reserve. The Pewter is not as desirable imo. But this is a bone stock, 1 owner, "never seen rain car" so it probably was nice.

So imo staring off at $14,900 ensures you'll probably end up with $14,000-$14,500 and get less than what your car is probably worth. The one thing that will turn a lot of buyers away are the lack of creature comports and TTops. But, you only need the few people that want the unusual, go faster SS. Make it clear in any add that it's a hardtop/no TTop car. The people that want the HT will call. But, like all good negotiators they will claim they would prefer the TTops and all power options. That will allow them to try and deduct $500-$1,000 for the lack of those items. And that could be fair. I have TTops on my car but could care less about them. They only come off a couple times per season. But they were a $1K item when new, most people prefer them, and add about $500 today on a low mileage car.

11% of all SS's came w/o TTops. So already that drops your car to approx 36 cars built with white/M6/HT.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-20-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies! I used to monitor the market, but now days am just lost as to what the cars actually sell for. I am sure if I would have left it completely stock, I could fetch more money, but I completed the few modifications nearly 12 years ago. Hindsight is 20/20, but I have enjoyed the car quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The modifications shouldn't hardly be an issue. But, no doubt some potential buyers will harp on them.....to get you to lower the price.

This 2 owner, white 2002 A4 has only 1K miles. But does have engine mods (headers, rods, pistons, cam, tune, etc.). The simulated wood grain console top is sort of funky. No SLP options that I can see. Dealer wants $24K. With those kinds of mods that 1K mileage is not as important. If your car is as clean it's probably worth as much or more than that one. A 3K mile A4 sold on Ebay in the past month or two for $15,000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ca...m=191877319994
Old 05-20-2016, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by wesst
Being a true SS, it came with the Hurst, chrome 10 spokes and CME.
As mentioned above, these items were not part of the base SS package. The Hurst shifter, RPO BBS, was even available on base Z28s as well as the SS, but never standard on either. The other items were additional SLP offerings under the Y2Y RPO, but not part of the base WU8 (SS) package. Just an FYI.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I had a white '98 Z28 and it did come with a white sail panel.
The only LS1 Camaros that came with a body colored roof from the factory were the B4C police package cars, and the 35th LE package cars. All others came with a black roof. The body colored roof option for V8 models was only offered on the LT1 cars starting, I think, in 1995 and ending in 1997.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for catching that. I fully intended to type in the "not" part and forgot to. The mind and fingers sometimes just don't cooperate with each other.

My white 1998 Z28 did indeed have the black sail panel. It did "not" have a white one. And being an earlier in year build, it didn't have the bubbling sail panel (or roof) issue to deal with. One of the most fun cars I've ever owned. Had that for 7 years and 93,000 miles of driving.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Thanks for catching that. I fully intended to type in the "not" part and forgot to. The mind and fingers sometimes just don't cooperate with each other.
Haha, that's kind of what I figured, but thought that maybe a previous owner had painted yours as well - like the OP of this thread did. I wasn't sure if you were the original owner of that car.

My white 1998 Z28 did indeed have the black sail panel. It did "not" have a white one. And being an earlier in year build, it didn't have the bubbling sail panel (or roof) issue to deal with.

That's the biggest advantage to an early or mid-year '98 car. No bubbles to ever worry about. Unfortunately, SLP didn't really get going with SS production until about February or so, and most SS models ended up being May-June-July builds, so most '98 SSs (along with all the '99-'02 cars) still have the problem. Lots of Z28s were built prior to May so it would be easier to find one of those.

In this case, it's probably a good thing that the OP had the roof painted white. If he did this prior to the beginning of the bubbles, then it might delay the problem for quite some time, maybe forever if the car is mostly not in sunlight. Black is the worst color for this, due to how hot it gets and the fact that heat is the trigger for this problem.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

I realize my original post led you to believe the second sticker content was standard on all SS models. I don't know why I phrased it in that manner, but I just did not want people to think it was an Z28 with factory parts added afterwards. I drove it tonight for a 30 minute cruise to nowhere and I can't believe how much fun it is.

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro SS