What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

A couple more overpriced WS6s

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 01:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 70T/A400
This is an appropriately priced Trans Am that has low mileage and is in good condition.

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/5875257854.html
Nice car, great specs, fair asking price. I would most definitely check this one out if it was closer to home. I have no time in the foreseeable future to travel to Ohio though. Too bad.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thought I'd bring this one back up after seeing this ad earlier today (I see that it's also now posted for sale here on LS1Tech):

https://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/6009618437.html

They don't often pop up with only 600 miles on them. I definitely don't agree with several claims made in the ad though. For one, there is nothing rare about a black WS6 Trans Am as compared to other colors...in fact, I recall black being decisively the most common color for 2002 (about twice as common as most other colors.) There was also nothing special done to boost power or torque for the 2002s; they are mechanically and electronically the same as a 2001 in this regard, and even received the same factory ratings. And who is predicting that an example such as this will be worth $45k next year? Sounds like typical fluff from an overly optimistic dealer, though this seems to be a private seller.

Regardless, it sure does seem nice, though I would expect a car like this to also have engine bay and interior photos posted - especially at this price point.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That listing is somewhat over the top with opinions and "facts." If a car worth $32K today is going to be worth $45K next year, who in their right mind would sell it rather than holding it for another year at a 40% gain? The listing is full of statements that would be hard to prove. It seems the current owner doesn't have much knowledge about these cars or is just tossing out a line....yet can promise a 40%/yr annual appreciation. Once that kind of stuff gets mentioned in an ad, I say they are fair game for criticism. Just the facts please.

At 1328 cars produced for a black M6 WS6 that IS by far the highest production color in 2002. Much better imo to have a lower production car like White (287), SOM (221), or Silver (354). And if you go back to a 1998 WS6, any color but black/red would have an M6 factory production number of no more than 98 cars each. How many of those 98 built today would still have only 600 miles? It's now going to be a 3 owner car and not even past 700 miles yet. While a 1999 anniv WS6 has a fairly high production, it could easily be worth $30K with 600 miles....not an "unspecial" black WS6. All WS6's were optioned the same. So if one feels black/M6 is an "option" package, that's an interesting view.

Autotrader shows a silver 1999 here for $29K and only 200 miles. 1 of only 50 built. And that was a simple search taking 2 minutes. I suspect there are plenty more under 1,000 mile WS6's still out there, especially black 2001/2002 WS6 M6 which are the most common. Anyone still wanting one of these "before they are gone" has probably another 30-50 years to keep waiting....as they'll be out there for a long while. And if they "think" this car is near the end of the production run, all they have to do is check the VIN sequence to verify....not too hard if you ask me...lol.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...&numRecords=25

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Thought I'd bring this one back up after seeing this ad earlier today (I see that it's also now posted for sale here on LS1Tech):

https://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/6009618437.html

They don't often pop up with only 600 miles on them. I definitely don't agree with several claims made in the ad though. For one, there is nothing rare about a black WS6 Trans Am as compared to other colors...in fact, I recall black being decisively the most common color for 2002 (about twice as common as most other colors.) There was also nothing special done to boost power or torque for the 2002s; they are mechanically and electronically the same as a 2001 in this regard, and even received the same factory ratings. And who is predicting that an example such as this will be worth $45k next year? Sounds like typical fluff from an overly optimistic dealer, though this seems to be a private seller.

Regardless, it sure does seem nice, though I would expect a car like this to also have engine bay and interior photos posted - especially at this price point.
As a point of reference I am not typically one to care about other's "feelings" on the internet but the owner does have this listed on this website to not that anything to negative was stated but just mentioning for future opinions.

Regarding the price...I have sort of mixed feelings on me on one hand show me basically a new WS6 on the market but on the other hand I guess I am still along the lines that I am not sure it has reached the point that these cars should be driving original MSRP or higher prices for a non "specialty" model.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
That listing is somewhat over the top with opinions and "facts." If a car worth $32K today is going to be worth $45K next year, who in their right mind would sell it rather than holding it for another year at a 40% gain? The listing is full of statements that would be hard to prove. It seems the current owner doesn't have much knowledge about these cars or is just tossing out a line....yet can promise a 40%/yr annual appreciation. Once that kind of stuff gets mentioned in an ad, I say they are fair game for criticism. Just the facts please.

At 1328 cars produced for a black M6 WS6 that IS by far the highest production color in 2002. Much better imo to have a lower production car like White (287), SOM (221), or Silver (354). And if you go back to a 1998 WS6, any color but black/red would have an M6 factory production number of no more than 98 cars each. How many of those 98 built today would still have only 600 miles? It's now going to be a 3 owner car and not even past 700 miles yet. While a 1999 anniv WS6 has a fairly high production, it could easily be worth $30K with 600 miles....not an "unspecial" black WS6. All WS6's were optioned the same. So if one feels black/M6 is an "option" package, that's an interesting view.
I agree entirely; there is some very misleading/incorrect stuff in that ad. I suppose the Hurst (BBS) shifter option is why the owner has proclaimed the car as so rare/special? But still, with a color like black it will never be rare compared to any other color with the same options. Take away the Hurst shifter and you have what is likely the most common LS1 WS6 possible. At this point, its mileage/condition certainly makes it special, but nothing significant about its factory configuration makes it rare.

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
As a point of reference I am not typically one to care about other's "feelings" on the internet but the owner does have this listed on this website to not that anything to negative was stated but just mentioning for future opinions.

Regarding the price...I have sort of mixed feelings on me on one hand show me basically a new WS6 on the market but on the other hand I guess I am still along the lines that I am not sure it has reached the point that these cars should be driving original MSRP or higher prices for a non "specialty" model.
My concerns with this ad were more about the false claims and fluffed future value promises rather than the current listing price. Hopefully, anyone considering a 4th gen purchase at this price point would research the claims contained in the ad. Regardless, this will not be a $45k car in the general market this year or next. Period.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet he bought it as an investment and that is why he is trying to drive that angle in the ad.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one looks promising, plus the owner is not in fantasy land with his asking price.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5981002940.html
Old 02-20-2017, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by GimmeLSx
This one looks promising, plus the owner is not in fantasy land with his asking price.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5981002940.html
Wow, excellent find. I would agree; no Martian asking price, the ad contains no dealer-type fluff or factual errors, and the car looks fantastic (not event a hint of shrinking on the rear seat top leather.) Definitely a top tier example and a seller who seems worth contacting - for those in the market.

Quick Reply: A couple more overpriced WS6s