What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Firebird Formula M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Firebird Formula M6

FYI I am a relatively long standing member and have lost my login info. . Boo!

I will cut to the chase. I got out of the F-bpdy scene back in early 2000's and the itch has come back.

There is a local guy offering a bone stock white 2000 Formula, M6, cloth interior, hard top with 30k miles. I know KBB and NADA are just a starting point but he's asking $14k for the car. KBB and NADA say about $7600... So, F-bpdy guru's what do you think the car is worth with this kind of mileage?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Apologize for the typos my phone doesn't like "F-Body" apparently.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Need more info about the condition and ownership. If a one-owner garage kept beauty that needs very little, then $12k would not be unreasonable for a low mileage example. His asking price of $14k may allow for that $2k difference. On the other hand, if the car has been sitting outside for years with 3+ owners, and needs tires, repairs, etc... I wouldn't be anywhere near $10k. It's all in the details.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Claims the car was garage kept and in immaculate condition. 3rd owner car, clean title.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would say that $14k is too high, based simply on the fact that one just like this is for sale local to me and has been for a while now, with slightly less miles and for $13k. It also sounds and looks to be in excellent condition:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6085364937.html

This seems to be the twin of the car you're considering in all ways, other than being a '99. I don't personally see any value difference between a '99 and a '00, it's really just the '01-'02 cars that get a slight premium for the LS6 intake enhancement. Only benefit to a 2000 (over a '99) is the ebony interior, at least for those who prefer the darker color, otherwise the iron exhaust manifolds are the only other noteworthy update that applies to all the F-bodies.

I don't recall exactly when I first started seeing ads for this local '99, but it's been a while so the price seems to be higher than what it would take to move the car in a reasonable time frame. $12k is probably a more reasonable ask at 30k miles, then settle somewhere between $10-11.5k depending on the details of an in-person inspection.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Thanks for the update. I'd be in the $10k-$11k price range if it checks out. 3 owners is not excessive but not worth premium pricing either. $14k is just wishful thinking.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd agree with the $12K pricing for a mint, garage queen that was lovingly cared for an maintained up to date. Clean 6 speed Pontiacs with 30K-65K miles not that easy to find. Formula hardtop would make it appealing to the light weight racer types. But, a lot more roof to repair vs. a sail panel if it ever started to bubble up bad and you wanted a proper repair.

I think white Firebirds are cool. Popular color imo. You'll find 10K-50K mile WS6 hardtops all over the place in black, red, silver. But you might have a real tough time finding another 30K mile white Formula M6 hardtop. If you don't like leaking TTops,less rattles, and don't care about the wind in your hair.... hardtops are nice. My 1998 Z28 A4 was a hardtop and I didn't miss a TTop one bit over those 8 years. But let's face it, the more common, black WS6 with TTops is what most people are after. Getting that Formula for $10K-$11K would be a deal imo. A 30K mile 2000 WS6 M6 would probably be a $15K car. Nice savings stepping down to the Formula.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Formula hardtop would make it appealing to the light weight racer types. But, a lot more roof to repair vs. a sail panel if it ever started to bubble up bad and you wanted a proper repair.
On the upside, the roof being white means that bubbling may never actually be a major issue - especially if it's used in a more northern climate. I know a couple local guys with '99+ white Trans Ams that have their original roofs and not even the slightest sign of bubbles. They are both weekend toys and spend lots of time in the garage, but they have mid-range mileage and have seen their fair share of sun (just as much as my '02 Z28 had by the time it was bubbling horribly with a black roof.) Obviously, they still have all the same potential for bubbles with the right exposure, but the heat resistance of white sure seems to help decelerate the condition. Not sure how much this helps in places like TX or AZ, but here in IL the white roof cars are doing much, much better than darker colors.

As another point of price reference, a local friend of mine sold a '99 WS6 Formula (black, M6, t-tops) with 4x,xxx miles for $13-14k just a couple years back. I don't recall the exact price for the car itself because there were some additional parts sold along with it that were included in the final price. It was an extremely nice example with minor (but highly desirable) bolt-ons, such as an LS6 intake, Kooks stainless headers, SLP dual/dual catback, Bilstein shocks, custom dyno tune and a couple other minor pieces; it made just under 360rwhp without ever having a valve cover off or anything more major touched than the exhaust manifolds/intake. I would have to think that this ~40k mile WS6 Formula with a "no downsides/bolt-on only" type build would be worth a bit more than a stock, base Formula with only 10-15k less miles.

Quick Reply: 2000 Firebird Formula M6